Pro vs Amatuer Status Question

nitrex

Pro vs Amatuer Status Question

Post by nitrex » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

In Kansas you are required to have a "professional Dog Trainer" license from the Dept. of Parks & Wildlife if you want to release quail for training during the non-hunting season. I would like to raise some (100-200)of my own quail for my personal use this summer. If I do so, and purchase the license, would I forfeit my amatuer status with the AKC and/or The Field?

Nitrex

jimbo&rooster

Re: Pro vs Amatuer Status Question

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I wouldn't think so as long as you are not accepting money for training or handling dogs. Wouldn't be any different than if you lived in an area that requires a kennel license for owning multiple dogs in my mind.

Jim

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Nitrex -

Appended is the relevant definition contained in the current(2013) AFTCA bylaws...

Definition of Professional and Amateur
Section 1. Any person who receives or has received, either directly or indirectly,
compensation for training or handling dogs (including handling of dogs on a plantation or
shooting preserve) other than his own or those of an immediate family member, is not an
amateur. Any amateur who handles a dog not solely owned and registered in his name or in the
name of a member of his immediate family, who is awarded a placement for such dog’s
performance shall
waive payment or any division of the cash purse or shall lose his amateur status. The funds waived
shall remain the property of the Club.

I really do not think you have an issue if the only thing you are doing is raising and even selling quail. Not a prohibited activity for an AFTCA amateur.

RayG

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I think in this case i just would go about ur project and dont ask qustions. If you get cault play dumb but i dont thi nk you will

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks guys! I read the regulations, but had a local dog guy tell me he thought I would be considered a pro. I don't board, train or handle anyone elses dogs so I should be good to go.

Thanks! :)

Nitrex

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm

nitrex wrote:Thanks guys! I read the regulations, but had a local dog guy tell me he thought I would be considered a pro. I don't board, train or handle anyone elses dogs so I should be good to go.

Thanks! :)

Nitrex

If you intend to trial, you can bet someone, somewhere will ask the question, so, if it were me I would get a written opinion directly from the AFTCA.

The definitive answer is actually pretty easy to obtain.

Just send an e-mail to Piper Huffman, who is the secretary of the AFTCA, detailing the situation and ask the question. Her e-mail is on the AFTCA website. She will respond and you can keep that response in case anyone raises any questions.

There was a difference of opinion between myself and the chairman of an event regarding a person's eligibility to run a dog in an AFTCA championship. I queried the Secretary(Linda Hunt at the time) and she responded that the person was indeed qualified. That settled the matter.

RayG

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 pm

How much land do you own? If your doing this on your own private land.................. skip the license all together.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

NO PROBLEM.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Wildweeds wrote:How much land do you own? If your doing this on your own private land.................. skip the license all together.
I train on several different tracks owned by other people...

Ray,

Great advise...Thanks

Nitrex