Bird coop building plans

Mikezx18

Bird coop building plans

Post by Mikezx18 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 am

Does anyone have a material list and prints for building a decent bird coop. Will be housing quail and possibly pigeons for training purposes. This will serve as a staging area at my house. We have a big coop to keep our bulk birds at a nearby farm. We are only working two dogs. Thanks

RichK

Re: Bird coop building plans

Post by RichK » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:26 pm

You don't really need plans, in my opinion.

Figure out how large you want it (4x4 - 4x6 maybe?) for holding birds and then just start framing it out with 2x4s.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:28 pm

For quail I have had good success with Phantom Quail Kennel. Plans are a little pricy but worth it in long run. For pigeon coop plans from Scott's Dog Supply. I put both on 4 x 4 skids which made them easy to move with tractor or gator. I also modified the pigeon coop with metal roof. ( learned that after building the Phantom JH) Both sets of plans were complete, I did not find any errors and were economically effienct with materials.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Lion Country Supply is where I got my plans for my first coop. It is 4x4x8.

I just built a 4x8x8 Johnny house as well.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 pm

For ten to twelve quail, I have used a medium dog crate that I modified into a bird holding pen.

The medium crates are the largest ones that still have a handle. No problem holding birds for periods of a week or even more. If you keep the birds in the dark, they fly just fine. I have had 20 birds in it for several days, but that is pushing it.

I fabricated a raised floor using 1/2" galvanized wire cloth over some 3/4" laths that I screwed to a thin sheet of luan. I fitted the floor so that it just dropped into the recess in the bottom of the crate. I cut an opening in the back of the crate that was large enough to stick my whole arm in to catch individual birds...and also to put in and take out a small round feeder and a waterer. A piece of luan that is secured in one bottom corner with a nut, bolt and a couple fender washers serves as a swinging door.

Every week or so, open the wire door, I pop out the raised floor, slide it out of the crate and hose out the poop from the floor and inside the crate, let it all dry, slide the floor unit back in, close it up and it is good to go. I made up a second one because I kept thinking that the first one would fall apart and also because the opening I cut was a little too small for my arm with a coat on. The first one is still fine though and I have used it for about ten years now. The wire is rusty, but fine.

RayG

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Try red rose lofts.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey Ray, how did you get the birds out to use?

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I would make it tall enough to walk in. Just my 2 cents

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 pm

One more thing dont mix quail and pigeons your pigeons will get sick an die.

Toster

Bird coop building plans

Post by Toster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 pm

The Red Rose lofts are very nice. I built one with a friend. Make sure to support the front.

Toster

Bird coop building plans

Post by Toster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Also check some of my other posts for some ideas.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Hattrick wrote:One more thing dont mix quail and pigeons your pigeons will get sick an die.
I have never had that problem.

Ezzy

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for all of your replies. I am still in the research phase of this project but leaning towards the Jonny house. Mainly because I can use quail and they appear to recall well from what I've read. I will be using one or the other. If I go the pigeon route it will be a different style house. I'm learning a lot by reading various bird and hunting sites and forums. But right now it's quail and Jonny house.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Hattrick wrote:One more thing dont mix quail and pigeons your pigeons will get sick an die.
I have never had that problem.

Ezzy
neither have I. Actually I have thousands of quail housed in the same building as my pigeons only to be separated by wire.