Male or Female GSP Pup

Cicada

Male or Female GSP Pup

Post by Cicada » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:36 pm

I have the soft option of the pick of a litter of 11 pups born Nov 7th right now there are 2 of the females of the 9 females that are showing some real independence and some retrieving the 2 males are just blending into the pack. The breeder would like me to make my pick ASAP so he can offer the choices to the other buyers.

I was leaning towards a male but now I am just confused. Should I just roll the dice on the males or pick one of the females that are showing good promise or is it just to early to call.

Grant

remmy

Re: Male or Female GSP Pup

Post by remmy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 pm

At this age you can't tell much. It's a crap shoot. If you wanted a male then stick with a male. I know the feeling when you get there and you have your mind made up but then you see all the pups and don't know which one anymore! If it's a good breeding you should do fine either way.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 pm

If you have to pick at five weeks, you don't have a lot to go by they will change a lot in in the next few weeks as their personalities start to show. they have only had there eyes open and legs for a couple weeks. I wouldn't put a lot on a 5 week old pup retrieving. Wait as long as you can. male or female does not make a lot of difference unless you are really set on one or the other ...............................Cj

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

I never understood why breeders make you pick that early. I would never do it. In my opion buys should pick the day of pick up and they should come in that order. Gender is the only thing i would ask for early on. My 2 cents