Cold weather hunting questions

Munster

Cold weather hunting questions

Post by Munster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 am

First, we used to take our dog in the hotels with us. But we have discovered that it is easier and much more restful to just leave them in the truck in their kennels. For cold temps, we wrap the kennels in quilts and have straw in them for bedding. This seems to work out well. When we get them out in the AM, they feel warm to the touch. But, just out of curiousity, is there any kind of a heater that you can safely put under your topper to keep them a little warmer. Even if it was a very low heat soarce I would think it would help.

Then, I am tired of dealing with frozen water spouts on our water bottles. We end up just opening the lids and letting them lap the water out. The spouts waste less water. What do you guys use for watering on very cold days? I thought about camel backs, but then i would think the hose would freeze...
Thoughts.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Cold weather hunting questions

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:16 pm

I would invest in a mud river kennel/crate cover. They are insulated and fit right over the crate - would probably be a bit better than a blanket. With straw, they should be just fine.

As for water freezing, I don't have any good tips - but will tune in to hear some good tips from others.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Part of the cold truck kenneling concerns the conditioning pup experiences at home and, no doubt, the breed.
In Iowa actually, I had two vari-kenneled setters under a topper on a zero and below degree night, with wind.
Threw a sleeping bag over the top and three sides of the boxes...but with dry straw, dry dogs, well-fed dogs, well-watered dogs and, well-conditioned dogs, I expect the sleeping bag is not needed...still, it does make us feel better, does it not?
Basically, I would avoid the cost and fiddly nature of a hound heater device under a topper for the practical nature and ease of other options.

I use water bottles, regardless of the temp and, like you, have had the spout freeze.
As you again, I unscrewed the cap to water the dogs....when the cap threads were not frozen.
However, I do not worry about wasting water in so doing....I reckon I'll be back at the truck soon enough for a refill.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 pm

I can't swear to this around dogs, but the buddy heater (small) is supposed to be safe in enclosed spaces.

If I were in a motel, I'd simply plug in a small electric heater.

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd never run a heater where I wasn't able to supervise it.

I suppose it would be fiddly, but perhaps you could bring both a flat cap and a squirt/spigot cap for the water bottles and swap to the flat cap when the bottle is not in use?

deke

Post by deke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm

We wrap two kennels together with a canvas tarp leaving the bottom half of the doors open. This worked well all the way down to negative 34 ( thermometer in my truck quit working). Dogs were toasty warm when pulled out. As long as they are dry and out of the wind they should be fine. As for the water I always heat mine up in the morning before heading out, keeps your back warm in the morning and keeps from freezing longer.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:09 pm

When the temps drop, I like to use a larger kennel and put two dogs in it. They will cuddle and help to keep each other warm. Insulate the kennel, fill with straw, and they will be really toasty!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Labs4Me wrote:I'd never run a heater where I wasn't able to supervise it.

I suppose it would be fiddly, but perhaps you could bring both a flat cap and a squirt/spigot cap for the water bottles and swap to the flat cap when the bottle is not in use?
Those small ceramic heaters are about as safe as you can get. I'm also Leary of the buddy heaters regardless of their claims.

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 pm

I use heated blanket and put it under the kennels then just cover the kennels with a regular blanket works great

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm

The covers & blankets will keep your dog warm & comfy but if they decide to pull it through an opening & eat it you could be facing a huge vet bill to save your dog.
Yes I know every one says my dog would never do that but it only takes once & just look around & see how many have been face with that problem.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I would invest in a mud river kennel/crate cover. They are insulated and fit right over the crate - would probably be a bit better than a blanket. With straw, they should be just fine.

As for water freezing, I don't have any good tips - but will tune in to hear some good tips from others.
+1

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 am

I bring collapsable wire crates with me. Set them up in the room and put a dog in each one (3). They are comfy, warm, with me, and I enjoy hearing them snoozing after a long day of hunting.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 am

Munster wrote:...Then, I am tired of dealing with frozen water spouts on our water bottles. We end up just opening the lids and letting them lap the water out. The spouts waste less water. What do you guys use for watering on very cold days? I thought about camel backs, but then i would think the hose would freeze...
Thoughts.
Are you watering your dog while in the field hunting? I "super-hydrate" my dogs the night before and give them the opportunity to drink before going into the field. By "super-hydrating," I mean that I will put several quarts of water on their food the nights before the hunt. Most of my dogs will drink at least 2-3 quarts with their food even when they are not thirsty. I also provide water every time we leave and return to the truck. IMO if your dog needs water in the field (unless you are in hot temperatures or extremely long hunting spurts) your dog is not getting the proper hydration before hunting. A well hydrated dog should be able to hunt for a substantial amount of time without needing water breaks. I have spoken with several pros about this and many of them use the method described above and it has worked for me! I don't believe you can over-hydrate a dog!

I also have used a product called "elements H" on days when I hunt in very hot or cold temperatures. I use it early in the mornings and i feel it makes a significant difference.

Nitrex

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:24 pm

nitrex wrote:
Munster wrote:...Then, I am tired of dealing with frozen water spouts on our water bottles. We end up just opening the lids and letting them lap the water out. The spouts waste less water. What do you guys use for watering on very cold days? I thought about camel backs, but then i would think the hose would freeze...
Thoughts.
Are you watering your dog while in the field hunting? I "super-hydrate" my dogs the night before and give them the opportunity to drink before going into the field. By "super-hydrating," I mean that I will put several quarts of water on their food the nights before the hunt. Most of my dogs will drink at least 2-3 quarts with their food even when they are not thirsty. I also provide water every time we leave and return to the truck. IMO if your dog needs water in the field (unless you are in hot temperatures or extremely long hunting spurts) your dog is not getting the proper hydration before hunting. A well hydrated dog should be able to hunt for a substantial amount of time without needing water breaks. I have spoken with several pros about this and many of them use the method described above and it has worked for me! I don't believe you can over-hydrate a dog!

Nitrex
This is excellent. A well hydrated dog doesn't need to be drinking all the time, especially in cold weather. To make sure the dog drinks in the morning, we bait the water. I like to use a product by Annamaet called Impact. The dogs love it and will drink right up. When I feed I always put their food in water. It keeps them from eating too fast and also keeps them well hydrated.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:11 pm

If I am reading your post correctly the dogs are in crates in the back of a truck that is covered by a camper shell of some sort. If this is correct then as long as they have some dry bedding they should do great.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Fun dog wrote:.... A well hydrated dog doesn't need to be drinking all the time, especially in cold weather. ....
False!
Bad assumption to make.

Springer

Post by Springer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 pm

My dogs eat a lot of snow while hunting late in the season, often they won't drink any water after a long walk. I have a suburban so they are inside that in the evenings, mine will pull anything they can get through the kennel holes so they don't get covered but I do put 2 dogs in one box. My shorthair is 9 now and doesn't like the cold so she may come into the motel from now on.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:35 pm

How many of you test the hydration level while out hunting? Especially in warmer weather this is important. But also when you come in from any long hike or hunt check hydration to make sure all is well.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Fun dog wrote:How many of you test the hydration level while out hunting? Especially in warmer weather this is important. But also when you come in from any long hike or hunt check hydration to make sure all is well.
Every time we hunt, its a simple task, at the end of each drive you simple open open a water bottle, if the dog needs water he drinks.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Munster wrote:
Then, I am tired of dealing with frozen water spouts on our water bottles. We end up just opening the lids and letting them lap the water out. The spouts waste less water. What do you guys use for watering on very cold days? I thought about camel backs, but then i would think the hose would freeze...
Thoughts.
I never had a problem getting water out from my bottles (bicycle water bottles). I have always baited water (very very small handful of kibble) before and after their hunts and feed them water in their meal. Most of the time, I am drinking from the bottles during hunts and rarely the dogs.

When it gets colder I double up dogs in one box too.
Fun dog wrote:How many of you test the hydration level while out hunting? Especially in warmer weather this is important. But also when you come in from any long hike or hunt check hydration to make sure all is well.
Your asking a question? When I see either a foamy mouth, or their pace lessening, it is time to try and hydrate the dog. On the lands I run them during training and hunting, there are many opportunities for the dogs to hydrate themselves. If the dogs have the availability of water, they will do it themselves. Even when they do I still bait their water and give it to them when I load them back in the vehicle after our excursions.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Fun dog wrote:
nitrex wrote:
Thoughts.

Nitrex
This is excellent. A well hydrated dog doesn't need to be drinking all the time, especially in cold weather. To make sure the dog drinks in the morning, we bait the water. I like to use a product by Annamaet called Impact. The dogs love it and will drink right up. When I feed I always put their food in water. It keeps them from eating too fast and also keeps them well hydrated.

I wouldn't go anywhere with out a water bottle. I've been on hunts that I though would be hour tops, get into birds, now it's been 4 hours. I also use water as a "reset" may just be a puppy thing but it's any easy way to distract a dog off a spot. I do feed with water year round and add extra while hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Back when I was a pup we just watered our dogs and other animals. Never quite understood why you would try to force a dog to drink before hunting. I have found that the dogs will come around when they need water but I do not want them running with water in the gut. Just can't be comfortable and could lead to a twisted stomach. Dog do not need a lot of liquid when hunting in the temps we hunt in so I have never had a problem except in hot dry conditions and then is when you need to be alert to their needs.

Ezzy

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 pm

I use wide mouth water bottles (@3'dia mouth)(4-1/2" dia bottle) and then I have a handy collapsable roll up type dish I can crumple up and shove in my vest pocket. It works great! and I am able to conserve water he didn't drink back into the bottle easily. I generally know he needs water when his pace slows. I have a gallon jug back at the truck if I need to replenish water before the next run or I bring 2 bottles out on big areas and warmer weather. I would like to rig something up so they stand upright (less sloshing noise).
I always bring my 3 yr old GSP into the hotel room, but I have had him since a pup and he traveled all of Wisconsin with me every other week while I sold in my territory. He is well acquainted with hotels and hotel etiquette. And I just love having my buddy with me. No jumping on the bed. I bring him out to the truck if I have to leave the room or he comes with me. I don't even use the fold up kennel anymore, just his bed.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I've never heard or tried super hydrating a dog like fun dog suggests, but neither do I think I would. First, if they're like me they'd pee it out in short order. :) :D second and most important, I'd be terrified of a twisted stomach.

It's an interesting idea though and I hope a Vet on here will respond.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I've never heard or tried super hydrating a dog like fun dog suggests, but neither do I think I would. First, if they're like me they'd pee it out in short order. :) :D second and most important, I'd be terrified of a twisted stomach.

It's an interesting idea though and I hope a Vet on here will respond.
I"m not having the dog drink tons of water minutes before going to the field. I put several quarts over the food the night before the hunt. I want to make sure the dog doesn't hit the ground the next morning already behind in his intake of water. Also, i make sure to offer the dog water everytime we come back to the truck.

With thatt said, if I was chuckar hunting in hot dry conditions where I might be away from the truck for hours, I would definitely carry water. I plan and try to expect the unexpected.

Nitrex