What am I going to need

shocker35

What am I going to need

Post by shocker35 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:25 pm

As some know I am in the market to get a dog. This is probably not going to happen until spring but I know itll be here before I realize it. What are some things you guys would recommend me buying before the puppy gets home?

So far I have a large crate but thats it.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: What am I going to need

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Really don't need alot, I'd put more effort into reading and learning and figuring out what program you might finally use.

You've got till spring and then you have months and months before real training starts.

As far as puppy stuff a crate and lead and a collar is the basics, buy chew toys later when you know what pup will like or not like.
Training items will be dictated by what direction you go and what your trying to accomplish, could include, check cord, ecollar, launchers, pinch collar......really depends. I like to have a few softer type rubber retriever bumpers to get pup crazy for retrieving early.

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Sorry I am new to everything. What do you mean by direction? Do you have any book recommendations? I want to train a Brittany for pheasants, grouse and maybe quail. Basically what I want is a good field and house dog. I'll be honest. I have 0 idea what I'm doing and trying to info gather as we speak.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm

The search feature will be a great resource for you....

I asked about direction because i didn't know the breed you were considering and if you would also be doing waterfowl work.

I always suggest Delmar Smiths book, "best way to train your gundog" Written by Bill Tarrent. its old and out of print but
available on amazon usually. Not cheap, but its a good common sense read even if you decide on a different program. Mine sits
beside my bed and i browse thru it often.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm

First study, then the dog. Delmar Smith's book is a bible, Mo's book is great. For DVD's Perfect Start and Perfect Finish are top's.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 pm

This is a good newbie read, not a training manual or system but a good way to get the lay of the land

http://swanvalleypress.com/pages/gundogs/gun_dogs.html

I highly !!! recommend finding a local NAVHDA chapter http://www.navhda.org/ I drive 2 hours to get to mine, it's well worth the effort.

If you have the space, look into starting a pigeon koop. Or start looking to where you will trap them.

Start looking for birdy places to walk your pup, you would be surprised where you find them. same thing for finding pup sized water.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm

If you are looking at getting a Brittany, I would look to see if there are any Brittany clubs, trainers or breeders in your area for advice on the breed/training etc. Most folks will be willing to help you and your new pup. Look for places to for your and your pup to go to train. Aside from the kennel, collar, leash and a few chew toys, I would read as much as possible about the breed.

Good Luck

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm

aulrich wrote:
If you have the space, look into starting a pigeon koop.

good info

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:46 am

Get the book and video Training with Mo easy to understand.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 am

Join a club BEFORE you select the puppy. Get recommendations, go to hunt tests or field trials where the dog's parents can be found. The worst thing you can do is just buy a pup without research and HOPE it can hunt the way you want it to. Find a Brittany club and ask questions and do research. See lots of different dogs work and then put a deposit down on a litter from the dog you like best.

I've been successful with my 5 pointing dogs with the Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVD's. Have also attended several 4-day clinics at Perfection Kennel. www.perfectionkennel.com Also attended a clinic by Jonesy (on this board - Tailcrackin I believe) which was very good.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 am

Get your birds set up NOW so you can begin the process of establishing/caring for them while getting them flight conditioned and returning to the coop...you're going to need them sooner than you think and it is an ez thing to put off but then finding yourself wishing you had done it sooner.

Steelcityred

Post by Steelcityred » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 am

RoostersMom wrote:Join a club BEFORE you select the puppy. Get recommendations, go to hunt tests or field trials where the dog's parents can be found. The worst thing you can do is just buy a pup without research and HOPE it can hunt the way you want it to. Find a Brittany club and ask questions and do research. See lots of different dogs work and then put a deposit down on a litter from the dog you like best.
Completely agree I can tell you from experience to join NAVHDA and see if a britt is the dog you want or if another breed catches your eye for you hunting style. Remember to take everyone's advice and decide what is best on your own. Even though you have little experience you can tell what training style you will want to use. Same with the books. Read as many as you can and decide which one fits your style best. my recommendation for books are:

NAVHDA "Green Book"
Joan Bailey- How to help gundogs train themselves: http://www.amazon.com/Themselves-Taking ... 0963012746
Joan Bailey- How to Have The Best Trained Gun Dog: http://www.amazon.com/Trained-Advantage ... y_b_text_y
Chuck Johnson- Training the Versatile Hunting Dog (too many URLs)
The others mentioned are great books as well. you might as well start a library!

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Birds!!! Homers and some quail are really nice for the first few months! Also, get some sleep, cuz that pup is going to keep you up for several nights... :lol:

Nitrex

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 am

well my buddy raises pheasants so I may see if he is interested in raising a few quail. unfortunately I live in a relatively city like town and having a coop in my yard would may be difficult. I may ask the town if I can set up a small one. Thank you all for the information and will be looking into joining a club. I never really thought about it.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Typically pigeons are classified as pets, it does not have to be big I have a converted playhouse 4'x10', but the original 4'x6' is plenty 15-20 birds. you will probably still need the quail as well.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Join a loacl NAVHDA chapter and build a small pigeon coop and a add 8-12 squeakers. Then you will be a head of the game when the pup arives.

Good luck