Vehicles?

JasonM

Vehicles?

Post by JasonM » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:16 am

my wife has finally had it with me driving the guts out of two of our 3 vehicles.....she wants me to get a new truck.......which one?

I'm looking at leftover 06' F-150's....my brother suggested a toyota tundra...my buddy has a new Hemi (boy it runs good).......I dont need anything real fancy or SuperDuty as I'm cutting back on the landscaping business......I just need a hunter/commuter/wood hauling machine that I can run the guts out of......????

anyone have any experience......

My Dodge Cummins currently has 257K miles....man I'm gonna miss her......runs good.....

thanks

Jason
Jason

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:21 am

I just got an '04 Cummins w/ 87k miles on it...runs like a champ, I love it so far...enough about me :D

I have a buddy that has a Tundra and loves it, runs great

gone

Post by gone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:37 am

You can't go wrong with a Toyota. I am not a Ford fan, so I would say Hemi after a Tundra.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:40 am

i have my eye on a 65 ford 3/4 ton long bed fleetside. the truck is in great shape but someone has changed the engine out to a v-8. i am just not a fan of these new engines. i will probably keep looking, i don't want to make a mistake on this big of an investment.

GsPJustin

Re: Vehicles?

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:07 am

JasonM wrote:my wife has finally had it with me driving the guts out of two of our 3 vehicles.....she wants me to get a new truck.......which one?
WHAT!??!?! No Fair!

Depending on how new you want to go. I would look at the New chevies. Not the ones that you see now but the ones that are coming out soon. Some of the 06's are nice but the new ones are really nice.

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:12 am

I'm going through the same thing.
I have a 1 ton dodge diesel dually and I am selling my 5th wheel so want to get into a truck that I can use to hunt and run around in.
Dodge is having 0% interest for 60 months on the '06s but so far I haven't found a dealer that wants to sell me on.
They all say they do until we actually start talking numbers.
All car salesmen are crooked SOBs and I really don't know how they look at themselves in the mirror each morning.

The Hemi is a nice running truck and the gas milage they get is nice.
The tundra is nice too, but I don't like them all that much stock, and by the time you get there where I want them to be, they are just way too spendy for a barley full size truck.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:15 pm

My '98 F-150 just rolled over 100k on my trip to Kansas to pick up the quad. Still looks great too.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 pm

Cummins=Dodge=No Choice........

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:21 am

I am a Toytota man. Having had a couple, there is no better vehicle to me. By your description, the Tundra is everything you want. Change the oil, keep tires on it and a Toyota will last for a long, long time.

On another note (and I have nothing against Ford), take a look at Ford this last quarter. I think they have posted record losses in sales.

Must be a reason for it!

Good Luck!

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:04 pm

stonegripper wrote:On another note (and I have nothing against Ford), take a look at Ford this last quarter. I think they have posted record losses in sales.

Must be a reason for it!
Yeah no demand for the products. The cars downright suck. I've had one and never again. Personally, my choice would be to keep the current car and save yourself from being in debt. Nothing worse than having a huge payment every month. Not to mention increased insurance costs. You said it's running good so why not keep her? Just a thought.

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:42 pm

I have a '01 F150 that I love, but if I was going to go truck shopping right now, I would look hard at a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:08 pm

Ford needs to trim down and restructure. Keep the F-series, keep the Mustang, keep Jaguar and re-buff its reputation, then cut out all the other cars that cannibalize its own market share and cost extra money to produce. Had a discussion over lunch about that last week.

But, yeah, Ford's bread and butter is the F-series pickup. All pickup sales are down considering fuel efficiency. It's a trend that doesn't affect just Ford.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:38 pm

I would buy the F-150. I put 120,000 on mine with 0 problems. The new ones ride better than any truck out there.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 am

I have an 06 F-150 supercab 4wd XLT with the 5.4 auto and the 3.55 rear end.
On the interstate and highway I can get up to 22 mpg, most daily driving I stay aroudn 16 mpg pulling a 16 ft. flatbed laoded with various items rangineg from loaded weights of 4-6k about 2-3 times a week.
Rides like a champ and I love the 5.4 engine!

jakegsp

Post by jakegsp » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 am

All car salesmen are crooked SOBs and I really don't know how they look at themselves in the mirror each morning.

All is a pretty big word Virgil.
Last edited by jakegsp on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:31 am

We just got a crew cab Tacoma and love it. They were offering 4000. back on the new Tundras a month or so ago on the 2006's. It was a super deal.
brenda

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 am

I just bought new '06 Dodge 2500 4X4 diesel long bed and love it. But, I had a '98 F-150 with so many miles they are thinking about putting me on a commercial. I love the Cummins, gets 22 on the highway, 14 pulling, versus the 10 or 11 for the Hemi. If you don't need the power, I'd go with an F 150 4X4 personally. I just love the diesel however!!

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:44 am

jakegsp wrote:

All is a pretty big word Virgil.
Sorry, I was pretty frustrated when I posted this.
I have been truck shopping for a good 3 months now and hadn't yet found one to look me in the eye and treat me like a human.

Good news is, I was able to find a truck and purchased it on Saturday.
The saleman was honest with me and I think I got a fair deal.
I am getting a few things done to it and should pick it up tonight if all goes well.

I went with the chevy with the 8.1
I know the gas milage will hurt, but after driving diesels for so long, it was hard to give up all that power.
This was the only motor I tried that wasn't a letdown when I pushed the gas.
Although the Hemi was pretty close with the trucks empty, I'm sure with a load, I'd really see the difference.

I also felt the most comfortable in the chevy. It's the first truck I have had in a long time where I didn't feel like I was reaching for stuff.
I am sure it's just personal preference and I'm not exactly a tall guy, but with the captains chairs instead of the bench seat, I felt really comfortable.
The Toyota was pretty good that way since it's a bit smaller truck, but still felt like everything was centered and not really "centered" on the driver.

Not sure if I'm explaining it right, but I sure did like it.
Especially after my 1 ton dodge with the standard that everytime I went to get my drink out of the cup holders I felt like I was going to wreck.
Nothing I have found towed like that truck, but what's up with the cupholders on the floor by the shifter?