Kennel building questions

ohmymy111

Kennel building questions

Post by ohmymy111 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I am pretty much done with my kennel building, need to hang the rest of the insulation and that will be all till Spring.

A couple of questions for those that have heated kennels. What temp do you keep your building at? I use 55 gallon drums for dog houses, do you use bedding material? if so what? I have used straw and don't really like it, and am using wood chips now, but not real sold on them either.
Last edited by ohmymy111 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meller

Re: Kennel building questions

Post by Meller » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Don't heat my building and use hay for bedding and like it! :)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 am

Hey Mark:
I have just a 4 run, part outside under roof and the other 5ft, inside in a heated garage. Have a house inside and crate out side. I run the heat in the garage at 45 to 50, that is mostly for me when I go out for projects. I have feed hay inside and out side. two of my French Britts move from inside to out, Stella stays outside all the time when she is in the Kennel. She likes it cold.

I find the chips stay in the dogs fur/hair. The feed hay smells decent and usually does not have briars or tangles in it.

Also, One year from this coming spring may be looking for another French Britt. Have one from Plum creek and two from Fred Overby.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 am

I used 55 gallon metal barrels a lot. In fact still have one but dog's are seldom in their kennel. In the past I always used hay for bedding but maybe straw is better. Probably straw doesn't break down as quickly and straw is hollow and I'd think would give better insulation.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

I feel that straw being hollow will break down, flat like a straw. Also it is fairly straight and does not intertangle like prairie hay does allowing the dog to make a nest in it. When the dog digs at it and turns circles like they do they push it all off to the side.