Which E-Collar?

Mulga

Which E-Collar?

Post by Mulga » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Howdy,

I know this topic has been done time and time again, apologies and thanks for your replies in advance. I have searched the web and past forum posts which were very helpful. I'm still undecided on which collar to purchase. I have never owned an e-collar before (or trained a HPR for that matter).

For six months I have been saving to purchase a Garmin Alpha, it looks like a fantastic unit with all the bells and whistles. But of late I have been consolidating my thoughts and I'm thinking the Alpha may be more than I need! I haven't ruled the Alpha out, I usually go by the philosophy of 'buy once cry once' and will buy the best if it can be justified. The Alpha's tracking capabilities aside, I'm now thinking that something simpler may be better for training and correction in the field.

So my shortlist of collars in no specific order of preference:

-Garmin Alpha
-Garmin Delta
-Tri-Tronics Pro 100 G3 EXP
-Tri-Tronics Pro 200 G3 EXP
-Tri-Tronics Pro 500 G3 EXP

My main criteria and questions:

1.There is no authorized seller of these here. Garmin Australia do not sell or warrant these collars. I will have to buy from the USA and return it for any warranty claims at my own expense. So reliability is high on my list of criteria. Which unit is more reliable?
2. Replaceable battery packs, I'm not a fan of sealed units. Are the Garmin Delta's batteries replaceable?
3. Something I can correct with without having to look at it or use two hands. How is the Garmin Alpha at this?
4. Momentary vs continuous which is used more often?
5. Momentary vs continuous what is more important to have a greater variation of settings in?
6. Blipping the continuous button to simulate a momentary pulse. Does this actually work?

Gemma is my nearly 7 month old GSP. Were starting to build a pigeon loft this weekend. Really looking forwards to her first hunting season.

Cheers

Dan

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Which E-Collar?

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Pro 100 ...for me I can control what I need when I need it with my fingers ... as for the delta series all I have to say is I dislike digital e collars for training purposes.

JMHO for training purposes I personally do not care for Digital display model E collars they are ok for the trained dog where you don't have to change intensity but if you have to rely on changing the intensity level quickly with very little of taking you eyes off a dog they are next to useless in my book. I know there are people out there that love them and I am sure some will chime in

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:12 am

pro 100

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 am

I have used the Flyway Special(very similar to the Pro 200) for many years and am very happy with it. I use nick type corrections far more than continuous. This model has two nick buttons, on is 1/3 of the level and the other is 2/3 of the level and pressing both together gives a stim of the full level. If you use nick more than stim the 200 would be a better choice. If you use continuous more than nick, the 100 would be a better choice, I think.

The ONLY thing I have ever needed to do was to send the unit in for battery replacement. That has been twice in the last twenty years. I understand that the batteries on the new units are field replaceable. I also have a Garmin Astro with DC 30 collar for several years now, and have not had any type of issue with it.

You would be hard pressed to find a higher reliability unit than the high end TT or Garmin.

RayG

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am

I have the pro 100.

Most of the systems I have seen for pointing dogs use continuous , and the bump does work.

At this point in Canada the Alpha is not really legal, but I think that is going to clear up in spring (a regulatory issue with the frequency it uses) so I would double check for Oz.

On a side note, what is bird hunting like, down under? About all I know about the outback I learned from "Bush Tucker Man"

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:26 am

Pro 100 I've used everything from sport dog to dt systems to dogtra and have always went back to tri tronics

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Pro 100 G3, and you can add a Garmin Astro later. I like haveing the ecollar and tracking unit seperate.

Mulga

Post by Mulga » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:08 pm

aulrich wrote: At this point in Canada the Alpha is not really legal, but I think that is going to clear up in spring (a regulatory issue with the frequency it uses) so I would double check for Oz.
It's not legal here due to the same frequency overlap. The Australian Communications Authority is the regulator may never approve the Alpha in its current form. Reading posts from Australian forums Garmin would have to change the frequency to comply, which in my mind will never happen. However how I see it I would largely be using it out in the bush and it wouldn't bother anyone.
In town it may be an issue.
aulrich wrote:On a side note, what is bird hunting like, down under? About all I know about the outback I learned from "Bush Tucker Man"
The bird hunting scene is small in comparison to other types of hunting (Deer, pig or varmint). All Australian native animals are protected under Federal law with several exceptions for pest species. Kangaroos, wallabies, corellas, cockatoos, ducks etc when large numbers destroy crops they can be culled under management permit. Dingos can be destroyed without permit. Each state and territory have their own regulations please see link here.

Where I live, Queensland hasn't had a duck or quail season for 8 years and I have to travel interstate to hunt birds. It seems its been a combination of low number of participants and activist pressure. When the Queensland ban was enacted we were in severe drought. Since then there have been some bumper seasons but no reintroduction of a season irrespective of the very high bird numbers. Our ecosystems are boom and bust cycles. As an example (textbook wildlife ecology) Were going back into a dry cycle (60% of the state drought declared) at the moment and roos in western Queensland and New South Wales are in plague numbers and are starting to dying of starvation. The management tool here to stabilize the population are the professional roo shooters who would normally make a living from harvesting roos. But there is no market for roo meat or skins at the moment and no one is prepared to donate the time, fuel or ammo to shoot them.

Yeh I reckon the Bush Tucker Man is pretty good too. But I also don't mind Les Stroud or Ray Mears either :)

Mulga

Post by Mulga » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm

FYI Field and Game Australia would probably be the organization with the most involvement with bird hunting and bird dogs http://www.fga.net.au/

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm

I use a Pro 200, I almost always use a nick, so I like having the 3 sub levels of nick.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:03 am

If you don't have an ecollar or a tracking collar, I would go with the Alpha.
I have TT pro 200, Astros, and it was a good combination. Just bought The Alpha and love it.

Nice only having to mess with one collar, and you have the safety of the tracking and training collars at the same time.
Last edited by SetterNut on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Pro 100. Have had it for 7 years and use it daily. "Bullet Proof".

geoff norton

Post by geoff norton » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:47 am

Alpha 100 for me. Really a great piece of equipment

Mulga

Post by Mulga » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks fellas,

I just ordered a Pro 100 :)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Mulga wrote:Thanks fellas,

:idea: I think you will be pleased :) :!:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:06 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Mulga wrote:Thanks fellas,

:idea: I think you will be pleased :) :!:
+1. I also have the pro 100. It is dependable and user friendly.

Charlie