Leather Boots Care

Double Shot Banks

Leather Boots Care

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Got some new boots, all leather.
Love them so far. What to you all used to treat them and how often? I would like these to last me a while.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

Will

Re: Leather Boots Care

Post by Will » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Skidmore's Leather Cream on all of my leather from boots and jackets to car seats. Easy to use and cost effective too.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Will wrote:Skidmore's Leather Cream on all of my leather from boots and jackets to car seats. Easy to use and cost effective too.
How often do you treat your boots? during season and off season?
Isaac and Banks

Will

Post by Will » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 pm

New boots I'll treat a couple of times during a season. I usually just hit them when they get kinda dry looking. It only takes 5 minutes.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:06 am

I use snow seal mink oil and saddle soap. New boots about every two weeks than twice a year once about February or March than again in August or September. The first treatment is the longest I treat them dry them atleast three days in a row first day saddle soap and mink oil second day snow seal third day mink oil dry than snow seal. Make sure they are dry between every coat

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:52 am

Snow-Seal is a great product been around forever.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 am

Nik Wax

Do not use any type of oil........................................

deke

Post by deke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:56 am

I oil my boots about once a month during hunting season. the biggest thing I can tell you is to heat them up after you put the oil on them, it will help them soak up more oil. I will have to check the name of the stuff I use when I get home, but I know it comes in a blue can and is the consistency of vasaline. I usually wash my boots and then sit them next to the fire till they are good and dry, and then put a very thick coat of the stuff on each boot, put them back infront of the fire for a few hours or until the oil has soaked in, and then repeat until no more oil goes into the boot, wipe off excess and you are good until you notice the color of the boot getting lighter, usually happens on the toe first.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 pm

reba wrote:Nik Wax

Could you explain. I've got $ invested leather boots and always used mink oil.
Thanks,

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:23 am

I use Obenhauf's Heavy Duty Lp. Warm the boots a little then smear it on with your fingers. Keeps them nice for a long time. Regardless of what you use, the important thing is to grease them up before they get real dry. Don't forget the leather between the lug and the sole too if you have boots like that.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am

reba wrote:Nik Wax

Why? A great many saddle makers refuse to use anything synthetic or not made from animal (cattle) by-products...

Nitrex

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:28 am

Mink oil, as needed.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 am

Im getting pretty overwhelmed with all the leather care for "high quality" as in nice shoes, and i just dont know what the difference is.
I have heard mink oil is bad for the pores of it. I have heard it can smell the boots up for deer hunting. I just want something to help my boots last and keep water out.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

deke

Post by deke » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:15 am

Huberds shoe grease, that is what I have always used.

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Im getting pretty overwhelmed with all the leather care for "high quality" as in nice shoes, and i just dont know what the difference is.
I have heard mink oil is bad for the pores of it. I have heard it can smell the boots up for deer hunting. I just want something to help my boots last and keep water out.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
Leather boots will hold odor no matter what you treat them with or whether you do nothing to them. For deer hunting I'd use rubber boots.

Maybe you could treat with any of the above and then spray with that "no scent" spray stuff when you hunt? I'm not certain how effective that'd be or how that stuff would be for the leather though.

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:50 pm

deke wrote:Huberds shoe grease, that is what I have always used.
Looks like good stuff. I'd use it without question. Appears similar to Skidmore's with more offerings.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Will wrote:
deke wrote:Huberds shoe grease, that is what I have always used.
Looks like good stuff. I'd use it without question. Appears similar to Skidmore's with more offerings.
Hubred's since it is made right here in our Town of Snowflake. Good stuff.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 am

Use a bee's wax product. Snow-Seal or Hubred's.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 am

Whatever you use (I use the one made in Idaho), first heat the boots in the oven to Round 140 degrees. The warming will open the leather pores and let them absorb the oil. Once they're warm, not hot, apply the oil. Now put them back in the oven on a sheet of tin foil so the oil doesn't leak in the oven. HeT until they absorb the oil, then oil them again. You may have to do this three times until they absorb oil no more, then they are ready to use. They will be good for the season.

I've broken in new boots using this method for probably over 30 years; it really works well.

Caution!! Watch them closely in the oven so nothing melts.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Whatever you use (I use the one made in Idaho), first heat the boots in the oven to Round 140 degrees. The warming will open the leather pores and let them absorb the oil. Once they're warm, not hot, apply the oil. Now put them back in the oven on a sheet of tin foil so the oil doesn't leak in the oven. HeT until they absorb the oil, then oil them again. You may have to do this three times until they absorb oil no more, then they are ready to use. They will be good for the season.

I've broken in new boots using this method for probably over 30 years; it really works well.

Caution!! Watch them closely in the oven so nothing melts.
Thanks ill try this, but there was a card in the box from Cabelas says i should not heat them up to dry them if wet, so is heating them in the oven fine if they're dry?
Ill probably order some hubreds
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:13 am

Gertie wrote:I use Obenhauf's Heavy Duty Lp. Warm the boots a little then smear it on with your fingers. Keeps them nice for a long time. Regardless of what you use, the important thing is to grease them up before they get real dry. Don't forget the leather between the lug and the sole too if you have boots like that.
This is the stuff---------- nothing like sitting and working this into your boots- tried everything over the years- like this the best
Last edited by UglyD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote: Hubred's since it is made right here in our Town of Snowflake. Good stuff.
What do i use from them? shoe grease or shoe oil? they have multiple products
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:25 am

I use the oil product.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:38 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:

Thanks ill try this, but there was a card in the box from Cabelas says i should not heat them up to dry them if wet, so is heating them in the oven fine if they're dry?
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
They are correct. Dry them in the oven and it cracks the leather, I believe the exterior heat drives moisture into the boot, just like it does the treatment. However when the boots are dry, the heat opens the pores of the leather.

I just got a new set of Mendhil's and that's how I treated them. First new boots in about 10 years. My old Danners are still good, just got too heavy.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:

Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
They are correct. Dry them in the oven and it cracks the leather, I believe the exterior heat drives moisture into the boot, just like it does the treatment. However when the boots are dry, the heat opens the pores of the leather.

I just got a new set of Mendhil's and that's how I treated them. First new boots in about 10 years. My old Danners are still good, just got too heavy.

I always put a hair dryer on low inside the boot while I am putting on oil, just to keep the boot warm. Would that drive in moisture? Also, I only suggested hubreds because that is what I use, I think any boot grease will do the trick. I just use that stuff because that is what dad used, and it hasn't let me down so far.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 am

deke wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:

Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

I think that's the purpose of those boot dryers that go inside the boot: they drive the moisture out, not it.

I always put a hair dryer on low inside the boot while I am putting on oil, just to keep the boot warm. Would that drive in moisture? Also, I only suggested hubreds because that is what I use, I think any boot grease will do the trick. I just use that stuff because that is what dad used, and it hasn't let me down so far.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Gertie wrote:I use Obenhauf's Heavy Duty Lp. Warm the boots a little then smear it on with your fingers. Keeps them nice for a long time. Regardless of what you use, the important thing is to grease them up before they get real dry. Don't forget the leather between the lug and the sole too if you have boots like that.
+1
The best product out there. This is what the firefighters use.

Nate

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm

I use Vaseline and a hairdryer...
Heat up the leather spread on thick heat up again and let it soak in and repeat.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Obenhauf's, best stuff I have used.

Once before the season, maybe during the season, and once after the season.

Boots I have now are 6-7 years old, and they look pretty good. Leather is is good shape.

Mike

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Obenhauf's here, my Dad used Sno Seal.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon May 09, 2022 9:46 pm

Leather boots are an essential item for colder weather and the fall. They look great with jeans, pants or skirts. However, these amazing shoes fade if not properly cared for. But you can make them look amazing again. Let's see how we can care for your leather boots! In this Shrink Leather Boots post, I'm going to discuss how to care for leather boots. Maybe your first thought is to use a leather conditioner or shoe polish, but the actual best way to care for your leather boots is to clean and condition them regularly.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am

Good word of caution is to check with the manufacture of your boots before using a product on them. The Italian/German made boots (Kenetrek, Crispi, Lowa, Scarpa etc.) warranty will be voided if oil/petroleum based products are used to treat them or excessive heat is used. When oil is absorbed into the leather it can and will break down the glue which holds the rand to the leather. They all recommend their own products, but all will allow the use of Nikwax as a safe alternative to use and is inexpensive.

Garrison

Shrhr

Post by Shrhr » Tue May 10, 2022 11:58 am

Mink oil

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Tue May 10, 2022 12:25 pm

I use Kennetrek boot wax on my leather boots. Just bought some Obenauf's and I am pretty sure they make the Kennetrek boot wax.
I treat my boots after the season, over the summer, before the season and during the season as needed. I like to keep the leather well treated.

My boots typically last several years.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am

i use pure bees wax. works great for my boots,chaps and bibs.