When is too early?

petrey10

When is too early?

Post by petrey10 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:06 pm

So my pup will be 6.25 months at the start of the pheasant season.... He has been on birds for about 2 months.... Pointing well but still not steady 100% .... Been shot over and a few birds actually shot over him.... Minds well in the field and will be collar conditioned by that time.

Question is.... Would you hunt him?

Maybe not with like 10 guys and 5 dogs but him and maybe another dog and a few guys....

More birds the merrier? Or stick with controlled situations till steady to wing and shot?

My goal is to at least pass his UT tests..... NA test is Saturday....

jarbo03

Re: When is too early?

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Absolutely hunt the dog. Let pup learn how to handle birds while building the drive. Next spring get back to hard training.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:41 pm

That question will vary by who you ask. My dog....no I wouldn't but that's just me.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:43 pm

A few guys? Sounds like a recipe for a disaster to me if you really mean it the way I am reading it.

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Me ? Great time to get pup out, but no other dog and a partner who only shoots when I say. Too much can go wrong otherwise.

roo dog

Post by roo dog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 am

absolutely hunt the dog. however, i would go alone and ONLY shoot what the dog points. near the end of the season i wouldn't be opposed to going with someone who has a good dog that your pup can learn from and the other handler understands that you are taking a pup and is patient about the situation. if in doubt just go alone. IMO

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:57 am

Hunt him.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:07 am

You and the dog only. Leave your whistle and mouth at home and let him learn. Don't plan on shooting and you won't be disappointed.

I think the best thing I did was hunt my dog last year. He was 7 months old thefirst ttime out. Its tough to not shoot everything that flushes but you'll sacrifice one season for 10-12 more great ones

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 am

Hunt him by yourself.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:37 am

Mike50 wrote:Hunt him by yourself.
+1

Doug

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:
Mike50 wrote:Hunt him by yourself.
+1

Doug
X2 Or as said before with a trust worthy partner.

CAMO303

Post by CAMO303 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 am

vartz04 wrote:You and the dog only. Leave your whistle and mouth at home and let him learn. Don't plan on shooting and you won't be disappointed.

I think the best thing I did was hunt my dog last year. He was 7 months old thefirst ttime out. Its tough to not shoot everything that flushes but you'll sacrifice one season for 10-12 more great ones

This sounds like good advice.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am

To me this depends on the situation, if you are preserve hunting on canned birds that may be easily caught I would leave the pup at home. If you are hunting wild birds I would take the pup and shoot properly handled birds. I always like to allow a dog to learn to handle birds, make sure to keep quiet and let the dog sort it out. There are many things that launchers and checkcords can't teach a dog.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 am

If you do decide to hunt the pup... remember that it is for the dog...not for you... and ABSOLUTELY NOT for your buddies. If it is for you or to show off...leave the dog home.

I would hunt the pup, but I would hunt him alone, away from any other hunters or parties of hunters. The only person I would consider taking with me is my son who is even choosier about shots than I am. If my son came with me, I'd leave my gun in the truck. I would handle and he would shoot. I would also restrict my own shooting to a single shot and would consider a sub gauge like a 20 or 28 ga.

As far as not shooting birds the puppy busts, I am not so sure I would be hard and fast about that, especially in the beginning. Kinda depends on what I see the pup doing. I would however, take my time with any shots and let the bird get up and out there. That way you can cast a glance to the dog and see what is going on in the pup's head.

RayG

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 am

some great advice here... I have been working with a trainer every couple weeks just to kind of keep the progression going on our training (im doing the training but I go every other saturday to the trainers to not only help the dog but also myself) and I asked him the question and he had a pretty firm NO

I know the dog is young... Im not trying to push him too hard BUT on the other hand I want him to progress the way he should be

I am fine with only going by myself or go as the handler and someone shooting only when I say so.... but I am also fine with just walking with the group without my dog and shooting some birds and doing some training when I get home

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 am

I have had dogs at age 9 months be the best in the field. Also seen dogs get ruined by guys that empty their guns on a bird that scares the heck out of pup. Wildbirds will work best, he wont catch them.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Personally i don't like to start my pups on wild phez....It creates things to fix right off....unless, I guess that's all he will ever be used for. I like a young dog to be staunch on birds then once you've established a honest dog on birds, let them learn how to handle wild roosters.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm

If it was me I'd hunt him hard, either alone or with a friend I trust. If I have a friend I trust I prefer that, I can worry about the dog, let someone else worry about the gunning.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I would and have hunted a puppy that young ,
Put him on the ground with a finished dog on a short
Drive if you can, keep it simple.

Db