Ticks

jeffkrop

Ticks

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:19 am

Had my britt out for two days in northern WI and the ticks were so bad. Walking with him I pulled off at least 20,
then when I got home I was digging them out all evening, 21 more down the toilet.
I used Frontline on the 15 of September just like every month. So after trying my best to rid him of ticks I gave my frontline hoping for no limes.
Anyone ever use a tick collar? He would have a lot of bling 3 collars is odd but if it works.

Tooling

Re: Ticks

Post by Tooling » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:31 am

Can't comment on the tick collars but if using Frontline it has been advised by several vets to use every 3 weeks in lieu of 4....don't know why but there you go. I think it's a low dose compared to Advantix etc..something like that.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:11 am

Preventic collars are excellent.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:55 pm

jeffkrop wrote:Had my britt out for two days in northern WI and the ticks were so bad. Walking with him I pulled off at least 20,
then when I got home I was digging them out all evening, 21 more down the toilet.
I used Frontline on the 15 of September just like every month. So after trying my best to rid him of ticks I gave my frontline hoping for no limes.
Anyone ever use a tick collar? He would have a lot of bling 3 collars is odd but if it works.
Down here we find that K9 Advantix II works well. Most people I know who were using Frontline have switched to to the Advantix.

We are constantly in the field. Find very few ticks on the dogs & those we find are not attached or are dead.

brianb

Post by brianb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:05 pm

2nd on the Preventic collar. My dogs spend a lot of time in the WI Northwoods and the ticks were really bad this summer. They wore the Preventic collar for the first time and we found very few. I also usually give them a quick spray with the Frontline or Biospot spray bottle right before a long walk or a hunt. This setup seems to work much better for me than the monthly Frontline applications.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Talking with a the pet shop people today and they say the Preventic collar is the way to go. I guess 3 collars is not that bad.

tcp1020

Post by tcp1020 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 am

In New England I spent a ton of time picking ticks with Frontline on two of my dogs. One pup was even exposed to Lyme! I switched to Advantix II last year and havent seen a tick on my 4 dogs since.