health cert.

larue

health cert.

Post by larue » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm

How many of you get health certificates when you go out of state hunting?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: health cert.

Post by BigShooter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm

A lot of States require it for any dog you're bringing into the State. I usually remember to bring shot records. No one has ever asked for a health certificate when we've been hunting out of State

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I only get a health Cert. when flying because the airlines require it but not when driving. I would be even more broke if I had to get one every time I traveled.

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:38 pm

We don't write a lot for our hunters but technically speaking, they are required. Every year about once we'll have to fax a paper and help one of our clients smooth talk an official that happens to be having a bad day. I always take one if I'm crossing state lines.

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:08 am

Any time I am traveling out of state with dogs I have their vaccination records with me, just in case. You never know when the truck may break down and you need too Kennel the dogs or in the event of an accident or incident with another dog. Kinda like a spare tire, hopefully you don`t need it, but if you do you will be glad you have it. Could save alot of grief.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Other than entering Canada, I have never been checked in some 50 years of hauling dogs, and I travel to and through 8 - 9 states a year. So sometimes I am in compliance, but most times not. I just don't worry about it. Oh, and when shipping, it is required.

I have heard of some pros being stopped and checked, but they are usually more concerned with the horses, and I do keep those health certs current, within the year.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Never, I vaccinate all my own and have no one to speak for my record keeping anyways.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 pm

topher40 wrote:Never, I vaccinate all my own and have no one to speak for my record keeping anyways.
Shush, I, too, vaccinate my own dogs, and some suppliers include blank certificates, I have been known to fill thrm out as Dr. Dexter Maxwell, DVM. But then I have never been checked, but I figured I could bluff my way through any checks. In dealing with the authorities it helps to have grey in your hair.

Neil

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Ha Ha Ha Neil, grey goes a long way and I never thought about using a different name. :)

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm

topher40 wrote:Never, I vaccinate all my own and have no one to speak for my record keeping anyways.
Do you vaccinate for rabies yourself too?

Nitrex

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:26 pm

nitrex wrote:
Do you vaccinate for rabies yourself too?

Nitrex
Yes, Nitelite and a few others will ship to about 30 states, comes with certificates and tags, minimum of 10.

The only time my dogs see a vet is for life threatening injury or illness. I can handle the rest.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:02 pm

"Arkansas rabies law requires that all dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies by four months of age by a licensed veterinarian." http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/program ... abies.aspx

This isn't a concern of yours? Most states only require a booster every 3 years. I guess I don't mind paying for it to know I'm covered should anything ever happen (in a legal stance). And say what you want about performing treatments, but there are a lot of things a good vet is going to pick up before it's an expensive or fatal problem that most people (even good dog people) will miss. You're more than welcome to your opinion on raising your dogs and I have zero beef with you doing it that way. I just think it's curious that you'd try to cut costs in the one area that's state regulated.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:10 pm

:lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:47 pm

You raise good points on rabies. First I do vaccinate. The fact the vets went to continuing education not to learn new health procedures, but how to bill more and influence state gov allows me to ignore the law. Rabies in dogs is almost unheard of, because of the same vaccinations I give. And is very rare in all animals.

I have many good friends that are skilled vets, and they are worth every penny I pay them for serious situations. But I do not think any of them can evaluate a dog's health in an office visit of ten minutes (if that) better than I can observing them everyday.

I am not suggesting others do as I do.

BTW, it is not just to save money, with an average of 10 adult dogs and a couple of litters a year it would be considerable, but I think a vet's office is an incubator for illness. I will not take a dog into the waiting room to be "kissed" by some foofoo dog, or try to avoid the urine and germs on the floor. I go in the back door if an emergency, or pay extra to have the vet come to me.

Thanks for asking.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 pm

+1 Neil It's the Old Folks way same with hospitals I avoid them as much as possible they are for sick people & if your not sick when you get there you will be before you leave!! :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Neil wrote:You raise good points on rabies. First I do vaccinate. The fact the vets went to continuing education not to learn new health procedures, but how to bill more and influence state gov allows me to ignore the law. Rabies in dogs is almost unheard of, because of the same vaccinations I give. And is very rare in all animals.

I have many good friends that are skilled vets, and they are worth every penny I pay them for serious situations. But I do not think any of them can evaluate a dog's health in an office visit of ten minutes (if that) better than I can observing them everyday.

I am not suggesting others do as I do.

BTW, it is not just to save money, with an average of 10 adult dogs and a couple of litters a year it would be considerable, but I think a vet's office is an incubator for illness. I will not take a dog into the waiting room to be "kissed" by some foofoo dog, or try to avoid the urine and germs on the floor. I go in the back door if an emergency, or pay extra to have the vet come to me.

Thanks for asking.
+1, 2, and probably 3

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

To be very clear, I sell 15 to 20 pups a year, and it is the contract that they take the pup to a vet within 3 days.

Neil

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 pm

To be very clear, I sell 15 to 20 pups a year, and it is the contract that they take the pup to a vet within 3 days.

I think a vet's office is an incubator for illness. I will not take a dog into the waiting room to be "kissed" by some foofoo dog, or try to avoid the urine and germs on the floor

Huh??? :? :? Why do your buyers have to put their pups at risk, when you won't?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Shags,

Because I do not know their knowledge and skill.

I will also add, last month my senior dog died at 15 yo after hunting 6 months previously, the age of those still hunting and going strong; 14, two at 13, 12 and two at 10.

Does anyone really think had they had semi-annual vet visits that would live longer or have a higher quality of life?

Again, I do not recommend this to others.

Neil

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:18 pm

I'd say my dogs with their annual vet visits have done at least as well, Neil :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

shags wrote:I'd say my dogs with their annual vet visits have done at least as well, Neil :D
The question was if they would live longer and have a higher quality of life because of vet visits. If I thought so I would rethink my position.

Have you ever had a vet discover anything of significance in a routine office visit? Some life saving diagnosis? Or for that matter have you learned anything of importance?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 am

One of the things I need is an accurate weight. Wonder if feed stores, or even butchers have scales available? Are the CAT scales accurate enough? Any suggestions?

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 am

Neil wrote:One of the things I need is an accurate weight. Wonder if feed stores, or even butchers have scales available? Are the CAT scales accurate enough? Any suggestions?
Bathroom scales work; weigh yourself pick dog up reweigh deduct the difference. :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 am

Whoops.
Last edited by Neil on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:35 am

Meller wrote:
Neil wrote:One of the things I need is an accurate weight. Wonder if feed stores, or even butchers have scales available? Are the CAT scales accurate enough? Any suggestions?
Bathroom scales work; weigh yourself pick dog up reweigh deduct the difference. :)
Thanks since I am nearly 300 pounds, my scales won't allow it, even If I could pick up a large golden, not to mention my great Pyrenees .

Got a plan B?

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 am

OK, plywood platform hanging on spring scale's. :D

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 am

OK, plywood platform hanging on spring scale's. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am

Neil wrote:
Meller wrote:
Thanks since I am nearly 300 pounds, my scales won't allow it, even If I could pick up a large golden, not to mention my great Pyrenees .

Got a plan B?
Next trip on the highway pull into the weigh station and have the STate Police get you a number. :mrgreen:

Rick