First Hunt Test

RichK

First Hunt Test

Post by RichK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm

I think I am going to enter my 8 month old in his first retriever hunt test at the end of next month. What items will I need to bring for this test?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: First Hunt Test

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Have you introduced your pup to birds, guns and decoys? Will he retrieve birds to hand from land and water?
As far as equipment is concerned you'll need very little. A lead and water for your dog are about it.
Have you attended a training day with a club? If not, this would be a good place to start. It will likely save you time, money and disappointment, and give you confidence toward attaining a title on your pup.

Nate

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Have you introduced your pup to birds, guns and decoys? Will he retrieve birds to hand from land and water?
As far as equipment is concerned you'll need very little. A lead and water for your dog are about it.
Have you attended a training day with a club? If not, this would be a good place to start. It will likely save you time, money and disappointment, and give you confidence toward attaining a title on your pup.

Nate
Yes, to birds and guns. I haven't introduced him to decoys yet but I will be doing that this month. He will retrieve from land and water. I haven't attended a training day yet, it has been a busy summer for me and he has been with the trainer for the past month.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:52 am

Which organization -- AKC? NAHRA? HRC?

AKC lets you wear any kind of dark clothing.
NAHRA prefers you wear "hunting attire"
HRC wants you to be in camo

What to take : Whistle, Lead, Dog

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 am

AKC is what my question was in regards to. I do plan on running him in NAVHDA next year though.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:11 pm

RichK wrote:AKC is what my question was in regards to. I do plan on running him in NAVHDA next year though.
In AKC, once you "call for birds", you can NOT talk top your dog until you send it for the retrieve.
Also, I *think* you have to come to the line with the dog on lead that does not use a choke chain collar. You need an "English Slip Lead".

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Don't forget to breathe.
Last edited by Del Lolo on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 pm

RichK wrote:I think I am going to enter my 8 month old in his first retriever hunt test at the end of next month. What items will I need to bring for this test?
If you can, it's always a good idea to go watch a test before you run in one. You can ask questions and watch other people run their dogs.

Have fun.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Are e-collars allowed to be used during AKC pointing dog hunt tests?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 pm

RichK wrote:Are e-collars allowed to be used during AKC pointing dog hunt tests?
Nope.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 pm

I have a couple more questions I'm sure people here can answer.

It takes 4 JH qualifications to complete the JH level, do these all have to be at pointing dog tests or can they be a combination of retriever and pointing dog tests?

I thought the hunt test I was planning on going to was a retrieving test but it looks like it is for pointing dogs, which I don't think is going to be a problem but what will I need, in terms of gear, at the JH level? Just a blank gun and orange?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Hunt tests are specific. Its either a pointer test or a retriever test. Not many breeds can earn titles in both venues.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Hunt tests are specific. Its either a pointer test or a retriever test. Not many breeds can earn titles in both venues.
So, in order to title as a Junior Hunter it requires four passes in a pointing dog hunt test or four in a retriever hunt test, not a mix of the two, to be clear?

Does the JH certificate specify retriever or pointing dog?

Sorry for all the newb questions, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Correct, you have to pass 4 legs in retriever test or 4 in pointer tests to earn a title. However, the AKC has passed a new title that is available to certain breeds. For example, I can run my Vizslas in retriever hunt tests but I cant run my Labs in Pointer tests.

What Breed is your dog and where is the event you are looking to run in?

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Correct, you have to pass 4 legs in retriever test or 4 in pointer tests to earn a title. However, the AKC has passed a new title that is available to certain breeds. For example, I can run my Vizslas in retriever hunt tests but I cant run my Labs in Pointer tests.

My dog is a GSP. I plan to run him in both retrieving tests (at least until he completes the JH) and pointing dog tests as far as I can get him.

The test in November is a pointing dog test so I guess we will focus a bit more on his pointing work in the next month.

I assume all I will need is a blank pistol (any limit on caliber?) and an orange vest?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 pm

RichK wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Correct, you have to pass 4 legs in retriever test or 4 in pointer tests to earn a title. However, the AKC has passed a new title that is available to certain breeds. For example, I can run my Vizslas in retriever hunt tests but I cant run my Labs in Pointer tests.

My dog is a GSP. I plan to run him in both retrieving tests (at least until he completes the JH) and pointing dog tests as far as I can get him.

The test in November is a pointing dog test so I guess we will focus a bit more on his pointing work in the next month.

I assume all I will need is a blank pistol (any limit on caliber?) and an orange vest?
Yes, you will need a blank pistol and orange vest or hat. Go light on the blank gun for a young dog . (.22} and carry some water.

I would also order the rule book from the AKC and read it.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
RichK wrote:

Yes, you will need a blank pistol and orange vest or hat. Go light on the blank gun for a young dog . (.22} and carry some water.

Thanks for the info.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
RichK wrote:

I would add:

- a red/orange and green/yellow collar or a reversible collar with both colours on it as your dog's collar colour will depend on whether he is top or bottom of the brace.
- a lead/leash

Bonne chance,