Dogs first season, dove hunting

ruffbritt4

Dogs first season, dove hunting

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm

I figured this might help some people. Taking a dog out for doves during his first season is a big no no, correct? I said i will absolutely not take my dog for dove during his first season, second season, maybe, but my dog wont be in the dove field this year, would that be a good idea?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Dogs first season, dove hunting

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:43 pm

I wouldn't take a pointing dog out his first season on doves. First off, he has to sit still most of the time - do you want to teach that to him - that birds fly in to you and then you shoot them - or do you want him pointing birds?

Too much shooting IMO for a young dog (unless regulated well - and you're by yourself in a field).

Too hot most of the time & the birds really suck as far as retrieving - small and very prone to loosing feathers and choking (uncomfortable - not life threatening) up the dog.

This is all personal opinion - It was several years before I took my Vizsla and GSP on dove hunts - they go regularly now, but they were not allowed until they had their "main job" figured out. Our 2 year old GSP may get to go next year - but she's still steadying up and I don't want to mess her up with a whole different deal like doves this year.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I wouldn't take a pointing dog out his first season on doves. First off, he has to sit still most of the time - do you want to teach that to him - that birds fly in to you and then you shoot them - or do you want him pointing birds?

Too much shooting IMO for a young dog (unless regulated well - and you're by yourself in a field).

Too hot most of the time & the birds really suck as far as retrieving - small and very prone to loosing feathers and choking (uncomfortable - not life threatening) up the dog.

This is all personal opinion - It was several years before I took my Vizsla and GSP on dove hunts - they go regularly now, but they were not allowed until they had their "main job" figured out. Our 2 year old GSP may get to go next year - but she's still steadying up and I don't want to mess her up with a whole different deal like doves this year.
We are training him to point, and he holds till i walk in to flush, then he goes in too,( he will stand forever but goes in when we do) i'm happy with how he is, so thanks! Never thought about the birds coming to us.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm

I have taken every one of my dogs dove hunting. They will not confuse it with searching and pointing. It is a discipline thing, they learn very quick when they must mind and when they can go wild. In the meantime your dog is improving its marking and retrieving skills. Great for whoa training and steady to shot.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 am

I don't think it should hurt as its 2 different types of hunting. It would be no different then taking him duck hunting.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 am

jarbo03 wrote:I have taken every one of my dogs dove hunting. They will not confuse it with searching and pointing. It is a discipline thing, they learn very quick when they must mind and when they can go wild. In the meantime your dog is improving its marking and retrieving skills. Great for whoa training and steady to shot.
X10. They figure it out pretty quick. IMO your doing your dog a favor.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 am

Ok, but what about the gunfire?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:Ok, but what about the gunfire?
The dog should already be conditioned to gun fire if you plan on taking it "regular" upland hunting. I'm not sure I understand the question. You plan on hunting other birds right? Would you not have him gunproofed for that?

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

On a dove shoot with a good many folks, there is good chance your dog will hear more shots in one afternoon than he hears all season on upland. I admit it can cause some confusion and I understand your concern now. You know your dog better than anybody, if you think it's not ready, then don't take it. I've personally have never had a problem.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am

He is fine with guns when upland hunting (he is allowed to chase birds for now), but I heard a few people on here say a dove field will cause problems for the dog because they are stationary. Thanks guys

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 am

Ive seen more problems caused by hunting dove with young dogs (including some fine Labs) then I have seen the reward. Their feathers combined with the (usually) warm weather are not good for a young dogs retrieve and the gunfire, no matter how well the dog is conditioned can be overwhelming for a young dog. Using the hunt in the same way that you use a training session would be the best approach.