GSPs with EP bloodlines?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: GSPs with EP bloodlines?

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:06 am

ACooper wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:What's up with that, Andy?

Doug
When I posted I hadn't read the rest of your posts, and I was trying to think of a way to say it without sounding like an "bleep". Lol
No prob with what you said. Just curious why you deleted it.

Doug

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:I'm kinda partial, but those Slick type dogs sure do win a lot on the national level. Just sayin. But then again, until I get Rob's 10 dollars I won't have a clue.

Doug
PM me your address and I'll send you my spare currencey checker. :D
:grin:

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 am

:mrgreen:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:I'm kinda partial, but those Slick type dogs sure do win a lot on the national level. Just sayin. But then again, until I get Rob's 10 dollars I won't have a clue.

Doug
Doug,
You need to take a good, long look at what's back there in those Slick dogs.

Rob

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:28 am

GrayDawg wrote::mrgreen:

Doug
Doug,

Rob
Why do you think I have them. You're not telling me anything new. I know exactly what I have. I'm not denying that.

Sorry you're still not smarter than me.:mrgreen:

Doug

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:
GrayDawg wrote::mrgreen:

Doug
Doug,

Rob
Why do you think I have them. You're not telling me anything new. I know exactly what I have. I'm not denying that.

Sorry you're still not smarter than me.:mrgreen:

Doug
So you own dogs that you know are crosses between Pointers and GSPs, and you have no problem registering them as GSPs?
Well, now that we have the ethics & integrity issue all squared away, I'm trying to figure out how you can justify your current
position on this subject.

When you tell me that I have to see every "GSP" that field trials before making any comparisons between Pointers and GSPs......
I'm going to assume that I don't have to look at mutts that have been registered as GSPs....... right? :roll:

Rob

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:09 pm

I don't even have to say anything. You just seem to put your words in my mouth no matter what I say. Did I say that I crossed them? No.

As far as my ethics, you don't have a clue what my ethics are. Those big running gsp's you keep talking about are the same stuff I have. Do your research before you open your mouth.

Doug

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Like I said before every was your word not mine.

Doug

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Like I said before every was your word not mine.

Doug
I said "every GSP", not "every GSP/pointer cross".
So by my own definition and your admitted culpability.........
Your dogs are out!

Rob

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Like I said before every was your word not mine.

Doug
I said "every GSP", not "every GSP/pointer cross".
So by my own definition and your admitted culpability.........
Your dogs are out!

Rob
Do you even read what you're replying to? Or are you one of those guys who likes to hear his own voice? Never mind, I already know the answer to that.

I never said mine were crosses. That was done by someone else 20 years ago.

Course then it just isn't Slick lines is it?

Doug

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:16 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
Two years ago & three years ago, I was fortunate enough to head out west for some bird hunting. On those two extended trips, I was able to take in the
NGSPA Chukar Championship, the NGSPA Sharptail Championship, the NGSPA Prairie Chicken Championship, the NGSPA Region 8 Championship & the NGSPA Hun Championship. While I was not able to see all of those championships both years, I was able to ride at least one day in each of the aforementioned trials over the course of two years. The Sharptail Championship I made both years and I rode two days of the Hun Championship & the Prairie Chicken Championship.

So that is the basis for my comparative observation between GSP's and Pointers. I've been and watched the biggest running GSPs in the biggest venues the lower 48 has to offer. Heck, I've seen bigger running Pointers at the Alabama Open Shooting Dog Championship, one doesn't even need to go to the Continental Championship....... it's a totally different game. If you haven't been to the Continental, stop announcing to everyone here on the board what you are completely unaware of. Or have you been to the Continental and are in a position to make a well founded comparative observation between BIG running Pointers versus that of BIG running GSPs?

My GSP came from AKC Hunt Test stock with a couple FC's thrown in....... nowhere near the same ballpark of some of the top GSP field trial dogs- not even close. But then again, my dog had nothing to do with my post that you replied to.

Have a safe & successful hunting season,

Rob
I'd call that an educated opinion..

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm

gotpointers wrote:
GrayDawg wrote:
Two years ago & three years ago, I was fortunate enough to head out west for some bird hunting. On those two extended trips, I was able to take in the
NGSPA Chukar Championship, the NGSPA Sharptail Championship, the NGSPA Prairie Chicken Championship, the NGSPA Region 8 Championship & the NGSPA Hun Championship. While I was not able to see all of those championships both years, I was able to ride at least one day in each of the aforementioned trials over the course of two years. The Sharptail Championship I made both years and I rode two days of the Hun Championship & the Prairie Chicken Championship.

So that is the basis for my comparative observation between GSP's and Pointers. I've been and watched the biggest running GSPs in the biggest venues the lower 48 has to offer. Heck, I've seen bigger running Pointers at the Alabama Open Shooting Dog Championship, one doesn't even need to go to the Continental Championship....... it's a totally different game. If you haven't been to the Continental, stop announcing to everyone here on the board what you are completely unaware of. Or have you been to the Continental and are in a position to make a well founded comparative observation between BIG running Pointers versus that of BIG running GSPs?

My GSP came from AKC Hunt Test stock with a couple FC's thrown in....... nowhere near the same ballpark of some of the top GSP field trial dogs- not even close. But then again, my dog had nothing to do with my post that you replied to.

Have a safe & successful hunting season,

Rob
I'd call that an educated opinion..
Then the fact that there has never been one on the steps at Ames after winning the real National. I have many buddies that run shorthairs. Heck I even have one here and I've been on quite a few good hunts with them. But a runner from Kenya will always come out winning the marathon before the linebacker from the Steelers will. Crossing two great athletes in their own respects will get you a spork. I'd rather buy a spoon and a fork and keep them as is for their intended purpose.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

I heard this for many years and now it is up again just a question does anyone have any proof of this happening or is it all hear say. I mean hard proof like a photo of the mating or someone that has seen it happen. In my opinion if it did happen it was long ago and now we are not doing a fine breed any justice in getting on open forum and telling each other this line is better than that line.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

GSPs with EP bloodlines?

Post by ACooper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm

S&J gsp wrote:I heard this for many years and now it is up again just a question does anyone have any proof of this happening or is it all hear say. I mean hard proof like a photo of the mating or someone that has seen it happen. In my opinion if it did happen it was long ago and now we are not doing a fine breed any justice in getting on open forum and telling each other this line is better than that line.
Do you have any proof it's not happening?

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Your right I don't have any proof it is not happening. I know that when I started hunting shorthairs it was unheard of to see a clean white body. So if it was happening it was well hid now not so much so when you see lemon and white shorthairs. If it did happen some years ago they culled right as to add what they wanted to win. Not saying it was right just that they culled the undesirable and if it is still going on today eventually DNA will catch who ever is cheating to win and I hope they receive the punishment they deserve. With that being said I'll keep running the shorthairs I have and be happy because they suit me and I'm feeding them

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 pm

S&J gsp wrote:Your right I don't have any proof it is not happening. I know that when I started hunting shorthairs it was unheard of to see a clean white body. So if it was happening it was well hid now not so much so when you see lemon and white shorthairs. If it did happen some years ago they culled right as to add what they wanted to win. Not saying it was right just that they culled the undesirable and if it is still going on today eventually DNA will catch who ever is cheating to win and I hope they receive the punishment they deserve. With that being said I'll keep running the shorthairs I have and be happy because they suit me and I'm feeding them

I agree I love GSPs of ALL types. My point is, at this time it is very hard to prove one way or the other.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Cooper the funny thing is this post was started by someone that don't even own a shorthair

remmy

Post by remmy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Rob, those championships you mentioned are, for the most part, frequented by the same few pros. The chukar you will only see some west coast dogs. The region 8 and Hun you will only see one or two pros with most of the dogs owned by one person...im not knocking them, just stating a fact. The sharptail and chicken you will have one or two different pros from the midwest. Have you been to Eureka? Booneville? How about a championship east of the Mississippi? Region 4, 5, Great Lakes, Ohio, Wye Island? We've got some big running dogs in these trials here.

If you are referring to AA dogs that's one thing. Shooting dogs, however, I do not see a difference other that style. I've been to a few Pointer Shooting dog championships and trials. The pointers have more class but as far as running bigger...I don't think so. I ran my GSP in some pointer trials and flat out left the pointers in the dust. Lost her one time and another I had the trial won flat out and my dog screwed up on her last find. The judge was in such disbelief because he said she won it.

Being to those few championships does not allow you to say you have seen the best or biggest running GSP's in the country because those dogs only represent a small percentage of the GSP's running in championships.

I've been asked by a bunch of pointer guys who judge some of our trials"Why do you guys (GSP's) care so much about the run? We want our dogs to hunt." That comes from pointer guys. Have you been to Wye Island? The Pointer guys don't run there because its basically a race course with long edges. The dogs run really big there!

What happened in the past happened because they wanted to better our breed, which, by the way, they accomplished. Does it still happen today? Probably but so what? I don't do it and I don't care. That doesn't make our dogs mutts. I've heard it done with Brits, Vizslas, Weims too. It happens. So what. If you don't like it you don't have to buy one of those dogs.

Pointers are not the end all.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Amen brother.

Doug

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm

S&J you say when you started primarily white dogs were unheard of,when I started in 1974 we were just starting to see a few white dogs around here & black was unheard of now we have both.The black dogs are DQ's by the standard but white aslong as it's in conjuction with LVR are allowed but guess what color gets the most grief WHITE the allowed color.HMMM GO FIGURE!!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:13 pm

remmy wrote:Rob, those championships you mentioned are, for the most part, frequented by the same few pros. The chukar you will only see some west coast dogs. The region 8 and Hun you will only see one or two pros with most of the dogs owned by one person...im not knocking them, just stating a fact. The sharptail and chicken you will have one or two different pros from the midwest. Have you been to Eureka? Booneville? How about a championship east of the Mississippi? Region 4, 5, Great Lakes, Ohio, Wye Island? We've got some big running dogs in these trials here.

If you are referring to AA dogs that's one thing. Shooting dogs, however, I do not see a difference other that style. I've been to a few Pointer Shooting dog championships and trials. The pointers have more class but as far as running bigger...I don't think so. I ran my GSP in some pointer trials and flat out left the pointers in the dust. Lost her one time and another I had the trial won flat out and my dog screwed up on her last find. The judge was in such disbelief because he said she won it.

Being to those few championships does not allow you to say you have seen the best or biggest running GSP's in the country because those dogs only represent a small percentage of the GSP's running in championships.

I've been asked by a bunch of pointer guys who judge some of our trials"Why do you guys (GSP's) care so much about the run? We want our dogs to hunt." That comes from pointer guys. Have you been to Wye Island? The Pointer guys don't run there because its basically a race course with long edges. The dogs run really big there!

What happened in the past happened because they wanted to better our breed, which, by the way, they accomplished. Does it still happen today? Probably but so what? I don't do it and I don't care. That doesn't make our dogs mutts. I've heard it done with Brits, Vizslas, Weims too. It happens. So what. If you don't like it you don't have to buy one of those dogs.

Pointers are not the end all.
Bob,
First thing first, i'm referring to AA dogs, not Shooting dogs.

Next, what trial area east of the Mississippi compares in size to any of the prairie venues?

Next, '"Those pros" who attend the prairie trials have alot of the biggest running GSPs in the lower 48. Maybe not all of the biggest running
GSPs in the 48, but a very fair respresentation of the biggest running GSPs. I mean, if someone- anyone.... an Amateur even, had a huge running GSP that was cleaning the clocks of every AA GSP east of the Mississippi....... are you telling me the owner of this dog wouldn't get this GSP out to a Prairie Championship? Makes no sense. I've been to Ardmore & Booneville, but haven't been to Eureka.

I've been to Wye Island...... beautiful edges, nice grounds. But it doen't hold a candle to any of the prairie venues with regards to depth or breadth. If someone back east had a GSP that they felt could compete on the prairie, I"m betting 1 to get you 20 that they would figure out a way to get that dog out there to run!

Lastly, i've seen your dogs run in Medford and also at Wye Island. I was very impressed with both dogs I saw you cut loose.

Have a good fall.

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remmy

Post by remmy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Like I said, if you are referring to AA dogs than that's one thing. I cannot comment because I do not have AA dogs. Please do not not take anything I am saying the wrong way. You are a nice guy but remember, your opinion is just that...an opinion.

We all, back east, have dogs that can compete on the prairies but that costs a lot of money. Most of the guys on the east coast run their own dogs so it's not feasible. Only a handful of us have dogs with a pro. My dog is out on the prairies now with Dan DiMambro, so are a few other young dogs from the east. So we shall see this year.

As far as venue, you cannot compare a wild bird trial in the prairies to a planted trial back east. I'll give you that. But as far as entries the pheasant and some other championships east of the Mississippi are about the same.

Thanks for the compliments on my dogs.

Rob

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: Slistoe-I'm not stupid. I have some "bleep" nice shorthairs, but do you really think they would put a gsp up at the Continental?

Doug
You'll never prove anyone wrong with that attitude.
I believe that if you bring a good enough dog to win the stake you will be given your due.
But it is easier to just say you can and that they are all biased and political.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:30 pm

ACooper wrote:
S&J gsp wrote:I heard this for many years and now it is up again just a question does anyone have any proof of this happening or is it all hear say. I mean hard proof like a photo of the mating or someone that has seen it happen. In my opinion if it did happen it was long ago and now we are not doing a fine breed any justice in getting on open forum and telling each other this line is better than that line.
Guilty till proven innocent?

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm

slistoe wrote:
ACooper wrote:
Guilty till proven innocent?
I have a DNA certificate of a pup that is out of a DNA'd FC/AFC GSP female and DNA's AKC Nat. Ch. RU male pointer. :D Details were posted on pg 3 of this thread.

I guess I have proof. :wink: :wink:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

This is the last I have to say about this subject.If there are lines that you think has pointers in them too close up then stay away from those lines.
I have bred to some of the lines rumored to be more pointers then GSPS & I said rumored until some one comes up with proof,untill then I think people should get off of it & move on.
What's done is done & all the arguing over it will not change what has already been done.We nned to move on & try to stop it from happening again the best we can.
What really tees me off though is someone telling me my lines are more pointers then GSPS & that they don't want any thing to do with those lines then several months down the RD breeds their female or plans to breed their female
to one of the dogs they condemned for being from pointers!! :roll:
There are plenty of lines out that some believe are clean of pointers,close up anyway so buy from the lines you believe in.SIMPLE AS THAT.
I like what I have & IM THE ONLY ONE PAYING MY BILLS!!

Hi-tailyn, Scott you can't tell me no one has ever accused any of your dogs of being part pointer or some of the studs you have bred to.
I'm not saying they are or aren't but I'd bet you have heard it just like I have about my dogs,even though every dog in my kennels but one started with the 2 pups I bought from Bob Merkel's Wrenegade kennels & the female Ginger
was a solid LVR.
An accusation doesn't necessarily make it TRUE.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:44 pm

slistoe wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: Slistoe-I'm not stupid. I have some "bleep" nice shorthairs, but do you really think they would put a gsp up at the Continental?

Doug
I believe that if you bring a good enough dog to win the stake you will be given your due.
But it is easier to just say you can and that they are all biased and political.
I never said my dog could win that. That is not one of my goals. Nobody said anybody was biased or political. You and Rob must have went to the same school of comprehension. Both of you sure do read a lot of what isn't there.

Doug

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Knowing many past judges of the Continental I have no doubt they would give a GSP a good look and place them if deserved. But alas the Continental is one of the trials open only to pointers and setters.

Neil

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:41 pm

slistoe wrote:

Doug
I never said my dog could win that. That is not one of my goals. Nobody said anybody was biased or political. You and Rob must have went to the same school of comprehension. Both of you sure do read a lot of what isn't there.

Doug
So what you meant when you said "but do you really think they would put a gsp up at the Continental?" you meant that the GSP simply wouldn't measure up to the rest of the dogs to warrant a placement?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

So what you meant when you said "but do you really think they would put a gsp up at the Continental?" you meant that the GSP simply wouldn't measure up to the rest of the dogs to warrant a placement?
I think what he really ASKED was do YOU think they would put a GSP up.

Ezzy

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 pm

slistoe wrote:
slistoe wrote: You'll never prove anyone wrong with that attitude.

Doug
Once again, your comprehension skills failed you. See Ezzy's post. He got it. Do you think they would put a gsp up?

Doug

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:31 am

[/quote

Doug,

Rob[/quote]

Doug[/quote]

This was me telling you that you had Pointers in the lineage of your GSPs & then you responded by telling me that
you knew "exactly what you have"- thus acknowledging that there is Pointer in your GSPs.

So don't go backpedaling and try to tell me & everyone else that you didn't admit to anything, You may be able to go
back and edit your posts, but you can't edit what I've already captured/quoted in my reply to you. You're talking out
both sides of your mouth now- One minute, you're admitting your GSPs have Pointer in them (and registering them as GSPs).
The next minute you're bad mouthing people who are breeding GSP bitches to GSP stud with questionable lineage?

So basically, your dogs can have pointer in them (because they don't show yellow), but anyone who breeds two GSPs which
result in tri-colored pups is breeding mutts.

Like I said before, have a safe & enjoyable fall,

Rob[/quote]

There you go again reading what's not there. Not sure where you see me backpedaling about anything.I didn't edit anything, unlike you. (What happened to the 10 dollar comment?)

I didn't say anything about tri colored pups being mutts. I said people that people need to do their homework so they don't end up with yellow pups and then get on here and blame others for what they have.
I said somebody else did the crossing 20 years ago. Mine all pass DNA and so do their parents.

Did I miss anything? Or is there something else you want to twist?

Doug

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:30 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: Did I miss anything? Or is there something else you want to twist?

Doug
Other than your panties, which already appear to be in a bunch? Nope! :lol:

Rob

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 am

GrayDawg wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: Did I miss anything? Or is there something else you want to twist?

Doug
Other than your panties, which already appear to be in a bunch? Nope! :lol:

Rob

Good answer! Classy!

Doug

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 am

No one will ever spend the $50K or so it would take to put a shorthair at the top of the American FIeld game and most owner handlers don't have the time.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 am

Cajun Casey wrote:No one will ever spend the $50K or so it would take to put a shorthair at the top of the American FIeld game and most owner handlers don't have the time.
There are people who have spent much more than that, and more who would be willing to try....................

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:15 am

cjhills wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:No one will ever spend the $50K or so it would take to put a shorthair at the top of the American FIeld game and most owner handlers don't have the time.
There are people who have spent much more than that, and more who would be willing to try....................
No doubt there has been tons of money spent on trialing GSPs, however how many folks do you think will spend the ADDITIONAL 50K? The GSP people are focused on running GSP trials for the most part. There aren't to many willing try or they would be trying.
Last edited by ACooper on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: Do you think they would put a gsp up?

Doug
I believe I already answered that the first time.
So, reading comprehension lesson again - What did you mean by "I'm not stupid." What do the "smart" people think?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

slistoe wrote:

Doug
So, reading comprehension lesson again - What did you mean by "I'm not stupid." What do the "smart" people think?
No

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 am

slistoe wrote:

Doug
No
So, smart money says that a GSP would not be put up at a trial such as the Continental. Is that because the GSP's aren't good enough to win at that level?

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 am

Im willing to bet the guys with gsp's that are serious about trialing and wanting the best dogs available probably all have some EP in their somewhere, and im thinking some of these guys are arguing with each other. Also, to bad about the lemon colour coming up in some of the gsp's mentioned, they should have bred it to a black or brown EP.

I need to ask though, setters and EP's are absolutely the best at the trial game, if you were serious about making it to the next level why not just a few? I have owned mostly german dogs and just recently got into poiinters, i sure dont notice any difference between personality or hunting ability.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:27 am

dead mike wrote:Im willing to bet the guys with gsp's that are serious about trialing and wanting the best dogs available probably all have some EP in their somewhere, and im thinking some of these guys are arguing with each other. Also, to bad about the lemon colour coming up in some of the gsp's mentioned, they should have bred it to a black or brown EP.

I need to ask though, setters and EP's are absolutely the best at the trial game, if you were serious about making it to the next level why not just a few? I have owned mostly german dogs and just recently got into poiinters, i sure dont notice any difference between personality or hunting ability.
Black and liver pointers can also carry the "e" gene.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm

dead mike wrote:
I can't agree with this. I think you will find beagles will beat a pointer in most beagle field trials and pointers would win in most pointer trials. When we learn to judge dogs to their own standard instead of to the pointer standard then we will have a truer picture of what each breed brings to the table. Each are just as good at what they were bred to do as a pointer.

Ezzy

Luminary Setters

GSPs with EP bloodlines?

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:38 pm

2-2.5 weeks

mask

Post by mask » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
dead mike wrote:
I can't agree with this. I think you will find beagles will beat a pointer in most beagle field trials and pointers would win in most pointer trials. When we learn to judge dogs to their own standard instead of to the pointer standard then we will have a truer picture of what each breed brings to the table. Each are just as good at what they were bred to do as a pointer.

Ezzy
Gee Ezzy you aren't going to ruin this thread by saying something that actually makes sense are you? :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
dead mike wrote:

Ezzy
This has to be one of the best and most correct comments I have read !

Charlie

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:19 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
dead mike wrote:

Ezzy
While that sounds profound, I don't know how to judge pointing dogs of different breeds to different standards. I have judged a good many trials, and I can recognize and explain the differences in All-Age, Shooting Dog, and Walking Shooting Dog/Gun Dog, but I sure don't understand what I would expect from a GSP Shooting Dog that I wouldn't from a pointer Shooting Dog.

I expect my Britts to perform to the same level as the pointers zI had before them.

So please help me understand how to do this.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Neil I agree you can't run different breeds of dogs head to head & judge them differently.just not going to happen.Judging on what the judge thinks a breed should be or how it should perform would be TOO subjective & more like
a dog show in my eyes.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 am

I belive a pointer shorthair i for sale in the classifieds. It is lemon and white, going for 500.00 WTF??? is it me or am I going nutso? When did lemon become a shorthair color? is this another german thing? lol like black? I am soooooo confused right now...... Think I will go fishing

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 am

Markj, there were some very strong posts on this litter when they whelped.
This is not a German thing.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:55 am

markj wrote:I belive a pointer shorthair i for sale in the classifieds. It is lemon and white, going for 500.00 WTF??? is it me or am I going nutso? When did lemon become a shorthair color? is this another german thing? lol like black? I am soooooo confused right now...... Think I will go fishing
Maybe you should read this thread, since that's what it's about. :shock:

Doug