Bird hunting tips

deke

Bird hunting tips

Post by deke » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I looked through the site and could not find anything like this, so if there is please let me know.

What are some of the tips/tricks you use for bird hunting? We have gone over the Language of bird hunting and the words of wisdom but nothing about actual hunting. I think it would be helpful for quite a few people who are just getting into dogs, and bird hunting to hear some tips before they just go out and wing it.

1. Just because someone has been in the field before you does not mean that all the birds are gone. Slow down and find the birds they missed.

Wildweeds

Re: Bird hunting tips

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm

When hunting pheasants(the wild variety) be aware that suicide queens exist and will try to get your dog to chase them away,many times there will be several tight sitting roosters in the same general area,this holds true later on in the season when cold weather is at hand.I've flushed as many as 7 hens in front of a single point before I got a rooster to jump,this is where a dog that is steady really shines.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm

The dog has the nose to find birds, so give him his head to find them.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Hunt into the wind or breeze if possible and don't get into a hurry, give the dog a chance to find the bird or hunt the cover, and relax and trust the dog!
Always Trust the Dog! :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Meller wrote:Hunt into the wind or breeze if possible and don't get into a hurry, give the dog a chance to find the bird or hunt the cover, and relax and trust the dog!
This is good advise!

Charlie

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Meller wrote:Hunt into the wind or breeze if possible and don't get into a hurry, give the dog a chance to find the bird or hunt the cover, and relax and trust the dog!

Great advise, i have problems with trusting the dog!! Working on it!

TChism

Post by TChism » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Hunt the areas that most others will think "to much work to hunt". Hard work will pay dividends.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 pm

This is for non easter egger hunting :D
#1 keep quiet and use the vibrate function on the collar instead of a whistle or voice.
#2 hunt the nastiest cactus that will send most dogs and owners back to the truck.
#3 don't waste all day in one spot. Have a list of spots for the "milk run"
#4 don't kill out your covey. A wild bird or two taken is fine usually depending on conditions.
#5 pick up your stuff and everyone else's too. Nothing gives away a good spot to more slobs than a previous slobs empty hulls.

Easter eggers just need to remember to tip your bird boy well and you should be fine without the above tips.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 am

When hunting less traveled areas:

1. Get off the beaten path.
2. Use maps and a GPS to give you confidence in an area where you're concerned about getting lost. (Be prepared in back country.)
3. Dog GPS units are great for similar reasons as #2.
4. Pack plenty of water.

When hunting over hunted public lands:

1. Use current maps to help prevent wasting time on non-productive areas, and to form a plan.
2. Try to enter a field from a different direction than other hunters, and also more quietly.
3. Use blockers and place them strategically.
4. Slow down and let the dogs work.

Nate

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 am

Keep your mouth shut, your mouth off the whistle, and your hands off the e-collar as much as possible. Eventually, you will find it more pleasureable and more productive. Your dog and hunting buddies will be thankful.

Go into the field with the attitude 'it's not about how many. It's about HOW' and I guaranty you'll have more fun.

It's all about the dogs. That may not be why you got a dog, but it IS why you keep them.

Learn the EARLY symptoms of over heating your dog and learn to avoid getting there. Then pay attention for them.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am

gotpointers wrote:This is for non easter egger hunting :D
#1 keep quiet and use the vibrate function on the collar instead of a whistle or voice.
#2 hunt the nastiest cactus that will send most dogs and owners back to the truck.
#3 don't waste all day in one spot. Have a list of spots for the "milk run"
#4 don't kill out your covey. A wild bird or two taken is fine usually depending on conditions.
#5 pick up your stuff and everyone else's too. Nothing gives away a good spot to more slobs than a previous slobs empty hulls.

Easter eggers just need to remember to tip your bird boy well and you should be fine without the above tips.

Tailgate shots like this should be the only tailgate shots we see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 am

Vision you are absolutely right!!

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 am

Vision, That could be the best piece of advice I have ever heard.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am

One of the most important ones for me.

Every year before I jump into the duck blind I have to remind myself that when a flock comes flying in I need to pick a target and commit rather than flock shooting. I've seen too many people forget this, myself included. When you actually have a target you'll hit more birds and receive "that look" from your dog less often.

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

If you do not have your dog in sight do not shoot.We have all heard the horror stories.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:21 am

Its not a race. I been with people in the pass that think the faster you get through the field you get to birds faster. Not true. All you did is walk right by them. I don't hunt with them any more. You are also teaching the dog the same thing. They will think it is a race and be unproductive. Good luck

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 am

When pheasant hunting, I pack plenty of water and a 1st aid kit for the dog. Also carry a portable waterer to give him a drink in the field.

Anyone who bird hunts with me for the 1st time gets "The Lecture": Never, ever shoot at a bird on the ground. My dog might be right behind him. And, we follow the "horizon rule". Let the bird get far enough up so you can see sky under him. Again, because my dog might be right there. And, I tell them, if you break this rule even once I'll unload my gun, grab the dog, and leave. If you rode with me, you're walking home. If you shoot my dog, chances are you'll be picking birdshot out of your butt.

Let the dog do his thing. He can smell a lot better than us. Give him time to work the cover.

Most importantly, slow down, take it easy, and have fun. While putting birds in the bag is great, for me it's all about getting out in the field and having a good time with my boy.

Preacher
Location: Strongs, MI (15 miles past the middle of nowhere), in da U.P. eh

Post by Preacher » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:22 am

Check your gear, and have your hunting party check their's before heading into the field. Sure stuff goes wrong on occasion but much can be preventable.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 am

D Bros. wrote:When pheasant hunting, I pack plenty of water and a 1st aid kit for the dog. Also carry a portable waterer to give him a drink in the field.

Anyone who bird hunts with me for the 1st time gets "The Lecture": Never, ever shoot at a bird on the ground. My dog might be right behind him. And, we follow the "horizon rule". Let the bird get far enough up so you can see sky under him. Again, because my dog might be right there. And, I tell them, if you break this rule even once I'll unload my gun, grab the dog, and leave. If you rode with me, you're walking home. If you shoot my dog, chances are you'll be picking birdshot out of your butt.

Let the dog do his thing. He can smell a lot better than us. Give him time to work the cover.

Most importantly, slow down, take it easy, and have fun. While putting birds in the bag is great, for me it's all about getting out in the field and having a good time with my boy.
I love it when folks talk tough on the internet. Just how mant people have you left in the field? How many have you shot in the butt? Been to jail yet? Such nonsense.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 am

Enjoy the ride. It'll be over sooner than you think.

Bossman27

Post by Bossman27 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 am

Some of these have already been said but I'll just list off the ones I see people not follow the most often.

1. Be ready to get out of the truck and start walking within 1 min. Not pull up to a hunting spot mess around with the collar, your jacket, boots, everything else.
2. Dont slam the door, dont lock the car so your horn honks.
3. Walk into the wind!!!! if you're hunting alone just walk into the wind and follow the dog, zig zagging around confuses the birds, and the dog is going to know where the birds are better than you do. Keep in mind most people push in a line from the designated parking lot of the field.
4. If you see a few birds fly out ahead of you, ignore them. This isn't your cue to start running.
5. Be silent! I use the tone on my dog collar to bring him back, I don't say a word or make a sound except shooting!
6. Enjoy yourself, being along out in the field with just you and your dog can be one of the most peaceful enjoyable experiences there is. Make sure your bird count doesn't dictate how much you enjoy yourself. Birds are just a bonus!

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:42 am

SetterNut wrote:The dog has the nose to find birds, so give him his head to find them.

I love this advise! I cant stand to hunt with "Hackers". You all know what I am talking about. People that are constantly yelling or whistling the dog! I dont talk to my dogs while hunting or training.
Hackers ruin great hunts!

Don't be a HACKER!!!

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

Ha, reminds me of a sign I had seen some years back

3 rules of bird hunting with me.
Rule number 1. Dont shot the dog
Rule number 2. dont shoot me
Rule number 3. If you break rule number 1 be ready to break rule number 2.

Always thought it was cute.