How many pointing labs are used for waterfowl?

tfbirddog2

How many pointing labs are used for waterfowl?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

I was just curious how many guys have pointing labs that sit in the duck or goose blind and have made good waterfowl dogs. Friend has two pointing labs and has tried to take them waterfowling and dogs have a hard time sitting in the blind.

big_fish

Re: How many pointing labs are used for waterfowl?

Post by big_fish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

how much waterfowl training have the dogs had(retriever training ,marking,blinds ect) had a 2 year old lab and he always had a hard time sitting still I would let him move around a little about every 15 to 20 min.then back in the blind beside me.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Lack of basic obedience and knowing their job. My griff will run like crazy while hunting sharptails or pheasant, then sit perfectly still in his blind or laying beside me while waterfowling. My last britt would do the same. Sit means Sit, regardless of situation.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 pm

My little black dog is out of a pointing lab kennel, and he is a rockstar in the duck blind. He has much more retrieve in him then I even know how to handle, he will play fetch from sun up till sun down given the opportunity. He is decent in the blind, besides a few episodes of pshycotic rage if we miss.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Sounds like lack of training. Whether they point or not, it is in their genetic make up to retrieve ducks. They have been bred for hundreds of years... after all, they are labrador retrievers regardless of whether the point birds or flush them. Same breed, just different bird finding styles.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

I agree that it's a training issue,the pointing labs I've seen exhibited more desire to retrieve than point,they semi point naturally but the retrieving is 100% natural.The obiediance of sitting until told otherwise is what is lacking in these ill mannered duck blind dogs.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:33 pm

Have never had a problem with our Pointing Labs hunting waterfowl and being nice and calm and patient in the blind while constantly searching the sky for more birds.