Introduction and question

ALQuail

Introduction and question

Post by ALQuail » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Just joined and wanted to say hello. I also wanted to ask how many of you are seeing huntable populations of wild quail in the southeast? AL, GA, FL etc. I have been working a piece of property in AL for the last several years and should have it to the point I can have at least 15-20 points on a good day this fall.

displaced_texan

Re: Introduction and question

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Welcome.

If you're getting 15-20 points a day, you're doing very well.

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 am

What part of AL? I went up to our property a week or so ago and ran up 3 wild coveys. This is a deer camp so we have never quail hunted pen raised birds so they are all wild.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Our wild birds have been doing well the past several years.Ive seen a bunch of broods so far this year. We still do released birds on a piece of property. Agricultural practices have changed here, I think that is the main factor. Iam in south Monroe county. What part of the state are you in

ALQuail

Post by ALQuail » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 pm

We are in Barbour Co. right on the line with Bullock. Basically all we are doing is burning a lot of ground every year. Tons of food on the ground with gamma grass, wild lezpedeza, partridge peas etc. We knew we had the potential but didn't know we'd reap the benefits after two years. Awesome deer and turkey hunting too.