agressive baby pigeon

campgsp

agressive baby pigeon

Post by campgsp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 am

I need some input.

I have this baby that's about 3 or4 weeks old. Since he was a tiny guy he has always been kind of mean. Won't let me grab him or anything. He just swats his wings at me, and picks.

Half hour ago I was out their letting the older birds out and I tried again grabbing him and this time he bit me. That's right he bit me in the hand. No pecking.

I like the bold little guy, but I have to think about my dogs aswell. I cant prove it, but my old dog has always gone over under the coop to check on the birds every now and then, with never an issue, but a couple days ago he came running out from under it with a good gash between his eyes. I saw nothing loose under their for him to get hung up on, I'm still thinking it could have been this baby pigeon. But I'm not entirely sure..??

What do you guys think about this bird? Is this normal sometimes ? Or do I have a problem in the making?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: agressive baby pigeon

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 am

Come on! 8) A baby pigeon without teeth is going to injure your dog. Don't think so. It is kind of unusual for a pigeon to just pinch(bite) but I have a couple that do that when they are on the nest. Pinching, pecking, wing slapping is strictly a defensive posture that is used normally to protect the nest but a few will do the same thing to protect themselves. Most babies will do it instinctively while still in the nest box. I would guess your dog caught a wire or nail but the baby pigeon didn't do it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

Idk, the poor dog could have thought they were love pecks and stood there taking it until it started to hurt. :D :| .
I looked again and there is absolutely nothing under there for him to get hung up on. Only a smooth layer of chicken wire down there, no screws, nails of any kind for reasons like this.

Lol I'm not worried about the bird biting the dogs as I know they have no teeth, but pecking hurts. :wink: .. I just keep thinking about the old movie "Birds" lol. :D .

I never had a baby act like this, odd to me. Usually they want to be held. Guess I'll just have to hope for the best in the little dude...

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 am

Wow!!! Maybe you should try to rehabilitate him do some pack leader type training, I don't see why all things living can't get along. Why not just wait till he is a little older and use him as a kill bird. quit trolling

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am

I'm not trying to start an argument with ezzy, just explaining to him, why I was thinking maybe it could be from the bird.
But like I initially said I'll never know really. It could be from something else in the yard.

Regardless, that's not my topic, my topic is if this is normal with some birds and easy answered it
thanks ezzy.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Have you tried clicker training? :lol:

Nitrex

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Stick your hand in there and let him bite away at you for a bit. Really doubt he will draw blood or hurt you.

I would be more worried about the dog then the pigeon if my dog got beat up by one.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm

And what is this hate on for the clicker from a bunch of guys who don't use them, or understand how?

I have used a clicker for a few things and it can be effective.

I don't use a wonder lead, flank collar, whoa barrel, hardly use a whistle and don't go telling everyone who does that they are iduots?