Curious FF

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Curious FF

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:04 pm

I have FF 7 of my own dogs, and helped with a number of others.

The one thing Ihave never been able to do is have a dog stand at whoa with out much persuasion, when I take their ear in my fingers. I make sure, all during puppy hood and up to the day I start the ff process touching and scratching and what ever the dog likes on its ears. I also Whoa train the dog. But like they always go for the bumper soon into the ff when I go for the ear. On one hand that is great because they know what is expected.

what do you do to keep the dog steady when you put the bumper out in front or take hold of their ear? I always seem to get through to the end but really would like it to be easier.

Tonight, (maybe a mistake) I started to whoa the dog with the ecollar and a bumper in my hand and trying to have taken her ear. I am wondering If I am about to create a problem. ( I have been whoa training with the ecollar and she is pretty solid till the ff table which I also whoa trained her on.)

Any constructive advise pertaining to this is welcome.
Thanks,
Rick

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Curious FF

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't do it anymore, never liked it. But when I did I used a table I made just for it. Stretching from one to the other about 30" above the table top is a flat 2x4. Just under that is a cable with a roller on it. Into the side of the 2x4 at one end was an O eye screw. I hooked the eye screw to the dog with 1/4" rope. to start the dog the rope, with clip, was on the collar and up to where the dog couldn't move a lot. As I moved along, the rope was dropped to allow the dog to reach down. When I had the dog reaching down and picking the dowel off the table, I transferred the rope to the roller that would allow the dog to go to the end of the table and back and reach down to pick up the dowel. In place of the buck I used a 1-1 1/4" dowel with a maybe 3x3 piece of 1/4" plywood fixed to each end. It kept the dowel off the table making it easier for the dog to pick it up. I used a dowel instead of a bumper so that I could hold it in front of the dog touching it's mouth and roll it in, helped out the dog I like to think.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 pm

A leash bud :lol: There not supposed to go until commanded :wink:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Good one Lenny, alway appreciate keen insight. :mrgreen:

You know, Don, You maybe right. I think a set of posts cable and pulley with a rope. Never did the rope but why not, I have done similar in the past with other dogs but recentyl made a new bench and did not make it like the last with the cable and pulleys. DuHHH,

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Dont worry about whoa while you FF its too much going on. Its two seperate things dont mix till ur at the end.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Hattrick wrote:Dont worry about whoa while you FF its too much going on. Its two seperate things dont mix till ur at the end.
+1

Teaching the dog to stand or sit still is a separate process. For me this begins with the chain gang and click and treat at the age of 8 weeks.

I prefer to do the ff at 1 year of age +/- a few months. By this time the dog already understands the whoa or sit cue, and is collar conditioned to most if not all commands in the yard.

Nate

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Hattrick wrote:Dont worry about whoa while you FF its too much going on. Its two seperate things dont mix till ur at the end.
+1

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

Kind of why I was asking. Felt like to much. Never had worried about the dog moving before, but looking for it to be easier for me.
thanks,
Rick
Last edited by Ruffshooter on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:
+1

Teaching the dog to stand or sit still is a separate process. For me this begins with the chain gang and click and treat at the age of 8 weeks.

I prefer to do the ff at 1 year of age +/- a few months. By this time the dog already understands the whoa or sit cue, and is collar conditioned to most if not all commands in the yard.

Nate
All this is done. Except perfect steadiness on birds. There is a little more work to do there but as long as she does not see the bird move she is good. She is just a bit stubborn. Also She is near 2.5 years, I think. I am just a bit late getting things done. But actually she is working real well.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 am

Ruffshooter wrote: what do you do to keep the dog steady when you put the bumper out in front or take hold of their ear? I always seem to get through to the end but really would like it to be easier.

Rick
Fingers 3-4-5 of your left hand under the collar. Index fingerand thumb guide the ear and the thumb pinches the ear against the tang of the collar.
Reaching for the bumper prior to being commanded means the dog is trying to beat the pinch (not acceptable). Don't let the dog grab the bumper prior to being commanded.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:19 am

Thank you, do that. Know that.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Thank you, do that. Know that.
Then the dog should be steady.