How to "wing train"?

TheLukai1100

How to "wing train"?

Post by TheLukai1100 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 pm

I read online somewhere that its a good idea to "wing and rod" or "wing Train" your dog (not sure of the name but I'm pretty sure some of you have heard of it).
pretty much tying a wing to a fishing pole and having the puppy point the wing. It seems like its more of a natural ability test than anything.

But anyways I have a 8 week old puppy a couple of pheasant wings and a fishing rod, and I would like to try it.
But i have a few questions:
Is 8 weeks to young? hes been at my house for a week but hes still trying to figure things out, and hes very very easily distracted.
What if he doesn't point it? If he doesn't point the wing what should i do? try again the next day or what?

Hattrick

Re: How to "wing train"?

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 am

Its not really training. People do it with young puppies just see them point from about 5-6wks to 9-10wks of age. Really you should only do it just a few times it can cause sight pointing instead of using there nose. Its more of a cute thing

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am

+1

Get your pup out and let him run and be a puppy.

Jay

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:57 am

Above is true, but it does make a good retrieving tool. Helps dog be used to dead bird scent. Tie to a bumper etc.

But not a good tool to teach point.
The pup has point in it. Real birds and not catching the bird will make that point come out.
Remember the point is basically a hestitation before the pounce. Pointing dogs are bred to strengthen that hesitation.
You will create an honest bird dog later on when you start formal training and after live bird introduction. You will steady your dog, which is the dog staying put, lenghtening that point.

Have fun.
Rick

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am

TheLukai1100 wrote:I read online somewhere that its a good idea to "wing and rod" or "wing Train" your dog (not sure of the name but I'm pretty sure some of you have heard of it).
pretty much tying a wing to a fishing pole and having the puppy point the wing. It seems like its more of a natural ability test than anything.

But anyways I have a 8 week old puppy a couple of pheasant wings and a fishing rod, and I would like to try it.
But i have a few questions:
Is 8 weeks to young? hes been at my house for a week but hes still trying to figure things out, and hes very very easily distracted.
What if he doesn't point it? If he doesn't point the wing what should i do? try again the next day or what?
If you are going to read "snippets" of information on line your going to confuse your dog. (and you) Go buy a book on pointing dog training, read it, understand it then ask questions that pertain to the method you are using. There are a several good books and video's out there.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Parlor trick used to sell pups most often,as has been allready stated,a way to see what you inherited through genetic cross,once you've evaluated......... throw it away and let em be pups.I actually just use live birds to evaluate with.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 pm

When you have a pup that's showing no pointing ability, just charging in on birds, etc. Is when I've found the wing on string to be an essential tool. Put that wing out let him chase it around and before long ( a few minutes) that same dog will be quivering on a point. Once you see that once or twice your usually golden. Put it away and forget about it until the next alike pup comes along, or you want to see a quick point .

To much wing will bring out only sight pointing and you don't want that. Nose is king!

The younger the better imo. On a side note everything you show,teach,do to, a puppy they will inherit that behavior,personality,ability forever.

Congrats on your new pup!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I surely do not want to start another argument, but please tell me in what way sight pointing is a bad thing? I agree that most times the dog should point from scent before he can see or hear the birds, but however he senses them he should point.

Back to the OP, I do it with all pups because I enjoy it, doubt it does much but make me smile, but that is important. I have found that when I do it with multiple pups, sometimes whole litters, it shows which ones are prone to natural back/honor. They all have to learn it, but some show it earlier. It becomes a check mark in the keep column.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm

The Book "Gun Dog" written by Richard A. Wolters deals with how to train using a Wing! Most of the things you are asking are in the Book. With the right dog (Very Strong pointing instinct) some things can be done with a wing... but nothing beats bird experience in my opinion. Thru planting pigeons or Quail... then I always preferred having a young dog get bird experience behind an older dog.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 pm

S'setter wrote:The Book "Gun Dog" written by Richard A. Wolters deals with how to train using a Wing! Most of the things you are asking are in the Book. With the right dog (Very Strong pointing instinct) some things can be done with a wing... but nothing beats bird experience in my opinion. Thru planting pigeons or Quail... then I always preferred having a young dog get bird experience behind an older dog.
Without defaming Mr. Wolters, that is the last book I would reccommend.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 pm

I have had as many as 10 puppys pointing and backing each other at the same time with a wing on a string. I still say it served no purpose, but it was great fun and entertainment for me. I usually do it a few times with a puppy just because....and then put it away.

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Pointers need to point whether they saw the bird or smelled it.....Any work with the dog is positive as long as the person and dog learn from it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Of course a dog should point whether seeing the bird or scenting it. But when people refer to sight pointing on a thread like this, they are talking about a dog scenting and then crowding in, trying to get sight of the bird before it points. Can playing the game of wing on a string cause this? I have my doubts, but that is what is meant by sight pointing in this case.

Charlie

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 am

birddogger wrote:Of course a dog should point whether seeing the bird or scenting it. But when people refer to sight pointing on a thread like this, they are talking about a dog scenting and then crowding in, trying to get sight of the bird before it points. Can playing the game of wing on a string cause this? I have my doubts, but that is what is meant by sight pointing in this case.

Charlie
Crowding is a problem that needs corrected. I train my dogs to hit birds hard to pin them, not point at first scent (or sight), but never road in, creep. Still don't see a problem with a wing on a string or sight pointing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 am

I don't think there is a problem with the wing on a string, at least I never saw one. I think like so many things, it gets started and is just passed on by people who have heard it. I will change my mind though when someone can show me sa dog that it has harmed since it is not necessary in a dogs training. Just another game you can play that many pups enjoy but accomplishes very little.

Ezzy

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Neil wrote:
For "Wing training" Wolters book has simple instructions & many illustrations to demonstrate wing training... Good for a novice to learn! But as i said still needs real bird experience!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm

S'setter wrote:
Neil wrote:
For "Wing training" Wolters book has simple instructions & many illustrations to demonstrate wing training... Good for a novice to learn! But as i said still needs real bird experience!
I just don't believe there is anything to learn from it. Not trying to be argumentive it is JMO. As many have said, it is amusing and fun to watch the puppies.

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Everything that you do with a young dog is training, but wing on a string is simply a method used for young dogs just as the same as using a launcher....The dog can smell it but if it goes in, it cant catch it so it learns to point.

I dont use it often but it is not a bad thing by any means when done correctly...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:19 pm

I have never once said it was a bad thing. I use it myself, but for me at least, it is for amusement only.

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm

[quote="birddogger"]I have never once said it was a bad thing. I use it myself, but for me at least, it is for amusement only.

Charlie[/quote

I didnt mean to imply that you directly did......I was simply trying to expand on the subject.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
birddogger wrote:I have never once said it was a bad thing. I use it myself, but for me at least, it is for amusement only.

Charlie[/quote

I didnt mean to imply that you directly did......I was simply trying to expand on the subject.
Fair enough.

Charlie

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 pm

The OP asked how to do it... not what I think about it! I do agree it's entertaining! We don't use it for anything else!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:38 am

S'setter wrote:The OP asked how to do it... not what I think about it! I do agree it's entertaining! We don't use it for anything else!
It's all good. :)

Charlie

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Yep... Good here too!