Another Pigeon Question

RichK

Another Pigeon Question

Post by RichK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:11 pm

So I'm working on building a coop to hold 10 birds. I would assume breeding even though unintentional is going to be something that is going to happen. Will these birds breed year round? What are my options for getting rid of the young birds? Sell them, release them, shoot them?

deseeker

Re: Another Pigeon Question

Post by deseeker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Another option is breaking the eggs before they hatch if you don't want to mess with and feed the young.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm

deseeker wrote:Another option is breaking the eggs before they hatch if you don't want to mess with and feed the young.
How long does it take the eggs to hatch?

I'm going to pick up a few pair of birds and want to have a few hatches to get me up to about a dozen homers.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 pm

RichK wrote:
deseeker wrote:Another option is breaking the eggs before they hatch if you don't want to mess with and feed the young.

I'm going to pick up a few pair of birds and want to have a few hatches to get me up to about a dozen homers.
19 Days

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 pm

At what age will the birds be usable in the field, i.e. they will return home when released?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 pm

crazyboy wrote:
RichK wrote:

19 Days
18 days after the first egg is laid, 16 days after they start to set on them.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:18 pm

RichK wrote:At what age will the birds be usable in the field, i.e. they will return home when released?
4 to 5 weeks old depending what you do to train them.

Ezzy

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Wood eggs are another option...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 pm

I read that to keep them from producing, hard boil a couple and swap out for fresh eggs. Of course I have no idea how long they'll sit them till they start over. As for getting the birds out and flying, I like to open the bob's when they are flying around and eating on their own and let them decide when they are ready. For several days, they won't go far once they get out. As they get comfortable they start flying more, you'll notice it. I let mine free fly a week or two them start taking them out. I do take them with birds already flying but if you don't have them, just ease them out. Don't be in a big hurry, better to wait a week even two than to lose birds. If you do nothing with them other than free fly, you'll find one day they just do what you need them to do, don't push them.