you no when

Hattrick

you no when

Post by Hattrick » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 pm

You no when ur in for along weekend when at a hunt test you cut loose your dog in a brace and the other male is only interested in screwing with ur male while ur dog is getting his hunt on.

deseeker

Re: you no when

Post by deseeker » Mon May 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Why didn't the judges make the other handler pick up his dog :?:

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm

They did after about 10 minutes but the damage was done the respect torward the bracemates went right out the window wjth my guy. We did get in the bird feild on that run with great bird work but when they brought a bie dog in for the honor he wasnt going to honor nothing at that point. Cant blame him i guess he did better than i would of in that situtaion. Even the next day it was still in his head he ran like a rock we got a Q but it was ugly in my opion on the honor. Backing is his strong point he backs like a freaking machineand vary stylish usally. He honor but you could tell he didnt want to i would of QD him. I was really hoping to finish i just needed both Qs.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon May 27, 2013 9:17 pm

I know how you feel. And I've been on the other side where my dog wouldn't leave a female alone at first and screw up ridiculously later on. Still believe that female was coming into or going from heat.... But the world will never know :(

One reason I strongly believe in breaking my dogs of "leave it". I'll even call my dog in for water to get the other dog away, and go another direction the judges usually know what your doing.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 am

It just sucks i no its part of the game. I agree i use NO instead of leave it. I truly believe the only reason it wasnt blood shed is the controll i had on my guy. 3 times after chest bups from the other the dog they squared off nose to nose my boy was giving a warning back off dude. Idid everything an my boy deffently was trying to hunt away from or loose him he was all bussniss. They no whats going on even if they do leave it, the respect is gone by then. When he slam into my guy the fourth time while he was taking a dump i really thougt well here we go, i really think the other dog reliezed he didnt want this as bad he thought after that. Once again i was able get him to leave it but he wasnt liking it. He was picked up shortly after that for stealing my boys point, he bumped on that too. So what i got the rest of the test was a highly charged dog that was hunting for his self. Its frustrsting when people enter a test level they dont have any bussiness being in. Both bracemates i had this weekend could not of passed senior so why do they enter MH. I just dont have a clue.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue May 28, 2013 10:27 am

I dont hunt test/field trial, but my dogs are taught from day one that "Tagging" is not allowed. The minute they touch or approach another dog on the release or other wise they get "tagged" by me!

When I put the dogs dow to hunt, that is what we are there for. My next thingto work on is male dog pissing contests. :wink: After the first pee break out of the truck, unless he is using his winky as a pointer to show me the birds, he is getting zapped. Pissing on every bush is getting old.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Thats how i handle it as well. Some people just dont have a clue.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm

As a judge I rarely have a dog picked up, but there is no way I would allow interference for 10 minutes.

However, you need to work on backing in trial/HT conditions, just like pointing, staying steady, they must learn it no matter the distractions. Always give the benefit of the doubt to the dog, but never make excuses.

It was unfortunant, but you must train for it.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Neil wrote:As a judge I rarely have a dog picked up, but there is no way I would allow interference for 10 minutes.

However, you need to work on backing in trial/HT conditions, just like pointing, staying steady, they must learn it no matter the distractions. Always give the benefit of the doubt to the dog, but never make excuses.

It was unfortunant, but you must train for it.

That is spot on advice. If you can get your dog bullet proof to distractions, you will be much happier with the results :D

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed May 29, 2013 5:28 am

I agree. Still frustrating im over it. Things usally happen for a reason in the big picture. I may take along weekend and try to finish him in NH. Only need one more leg.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am

I have had a couple instances in MH.
1) Buster my French Brit and his brace mate a young GWP broke away, the GWP kept bumping Buster. The handler was told to keep his dog away or something to that affect. Then after a while the GWP starting biting at him. Well one more bump with a missed bite attempt Buster turned on the dog and put him on the ground. The handler was shocked. Although I was glad Buster did what he did, I thougt we both were going to be picking up our dogs.

I asked the judge what do you want me to do. He said move on, buster did nothing wrong and did not pursue the or continue the fight.

The GWP was picked up and Buster went on and they had another dog at the bird field to finish out the brace. Buster passed with good numbers.

2) Mercy, GSP had a Weim that tried to take one of her retrieves from her. She dropped the bird long enough to set that dog right and picked p the bird and brought it to me and the Weim was picked up. M

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am

Ruff,

I like the way your dog's think.

As a judge you just cannot allow interference. In adult stakes on the second offence they are on the rope, but it is harder in Puppy and JH stakes, it is much harder. You can't easily tell the offender as often both want to play, you can't access how much is too much, and durn it, puppies are fun to watch.

And there is the onerous AKC rule that two agressive offenses and you are done for life.

I just do the best I can.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

I think that AKC rule is what holds most judges back. They worry that it may have been misinterpreted or they missed something. Or they are overreacting?? Maybe?
Also I agree with the puppy play. It's not good manners but it's pretty common for puppies to want to play and investigate everything. I have many dogs and most of my young dogs are used to running and playing with other dogs. It's always a chore getting through the back course with my puppies trying to keep them from play bouncing around the other dog. Once we get to the bird field we are usually fine. They know why they are there by that time and don't care about the other dog.

The handler should be working to keep the dog out of trouble and avoiding the other dog if possible. With puppies it's hard to tell what is play and hard to tell how the other dog will take it. That said it sure is fun for me to see a dog that is goofing off and being puppy turn around and nail a point and get all serious on the blink of an eye.