California 2013 upland hatches

Troy08er

California 2013 upland hatches

Post by Troy08er » Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am

Anyone in California been out checking on this years hatch?

lahunter562

Re: California 2013 upland hatches

Post by lahunter562 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Well muchachos, quail and chuckars are not doing well here in Southern Cali this year. Birds are struggling again. No water, No plants, No bugs that equals to nada, zero birds. the only adults birds I seen were around golf courses and some other land with HUGE red placards that read. NO HUNTING, Don't even tried. :cry: :roll: :evil: I have a female gsp pup that I bought and is going to be near impossible to get her on some wild birds for some early schooling. :cry: ... Most of the birds are going to be adults, very spooky and smart. :roll:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

I have a lot of wild birds in my spot..... Might need to check it out and drop some water in the guzzler if there isn't any.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm

A little to early to tell in NV, I have a lot of pairs running around the house but have yet to see any chicks. If the weather has been any indication I think that we are in for a tough season not enough rain!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm expecting a very poor year. I'm actually not planning to hunt locally in SoCal. Some guys are talking about central Calif, but I looked at a drought monitor map and you have to go north of Sacramento to get out of the drought regions.

Lahunter,
you might consider a hunting club like Ace High Advertures near Fresno. They have decent flying birds and huge grounds with decent cover, unlike Rahaauge's. I had to use them these past two seasons quite a bit to get my young pointer going. The entire southwest is going to be tough.

lahunter562

Post by lahunter562 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanx for the pointer roaniecowpony, but I have access to some chuckars/pheasants from a friend that runs jr. hunts for kids in Lancaster. But all in all public upland hunting is going to be muy malo for those of us can not afford to pay private land. Hunting Mexico is another problem in itself too. I have friends that live across the border and tell me that quail, doves and pheasants are doing good near agricultural areas, but you don't know who to trust across the border these days, so mexico is out of the list... Yikes!!!!

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Here in Reno, NV the quail are paired up but no chicks yet. The chukar hatch is usually 3-4 weeks after the quail hatch. The hatch may be poor this year but it has to be better than last year. At least the cover is a little better.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 pm

ASWG,
Down in SoCal, it's worse than last year already. I think you guys have been getting a bit more rain than us. We've been getting spit and I think that's over.

LAHunter,
Good that you have a way to keep your dog's on birds thru this. I was working on an access way up north out of state, but it's not looking good that it will happen either. I'll probably figure where I'm going (out of state) later as the summer plays out and the drough impacts play out. I had someone give me some brochures on a place in Mexico, but I'm not going there. I have contacts all over the west and midwest for hunting, but haven't laid out a plan yet.