Question roading harness set-up

Az Draht

Question roading harness set-up

Post by Az Draht » Fri May 17, 2013 5:41 pm

I am going to begin roading my dog with dragged weights. Because I had a gift certificate and they were free to me, I just bought the drags. My questions are:

1. Should I extend the cord so more of the weight is closer to the ground?
2. Does the harness look to small? That harness only came in one size
3. I am going to start with only one weight, should run it off of the rear ring on the top of the back or is off one side okay?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Question roading harness set-up

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Harness might be a little small for the dog. The chest strap should ride lower, in the middle of the chest I think. If you can lengthen the first strap behind the dog's neck, that should drop the chest strap.

Otherwise it looks OK to me.

I would leave the weights the way they are for now. If you put on more cord, the dog might wind up stepping on the cord.

I don't know how much each drag weighs, but I would certainly NOT hook it off the center ring in the back. That is asking for trouble, IMO.

IF you want to use just one to start, it should not make much difference. The dog will lean into it some, but that should not be a problem unless you overdo. You could hang it from the flank ring on one side one day and on the other side the next day to work the muscles on each side, more or less evenly. A shorter workout with even weight on both sides is what I would do, but you know your dog best.

RayG

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Harness might be a little small for the dog. The chest strap should ride lower, in the middle of the chest I think. If you can lengthen the first strap behind the dog's neck, that should drop the chest strap.

Otherwise it looks OK to me.

I would leave the weights the way they are for now. If you put on more cord, the dog might wind up stepping on the cord.

I don't know how much each drag weighs, but I would certainly NOT hook it off the center ring in the back. That is asking for trouble, IMO.

IF you want to use just one to start, it should not make much difference. The dog will lean into it some, but that should not be a problem unless you overdo. You could hang it from the flank ring on one side one day and on the other side the next day to work the muscles on each side, more or less evenly. A shorter workout with even weight on both sides is what I would do, but you know your dog best.

RayG

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Harness might be a little small for the dog. The chest strap should ride lower, in the middle of the chest I think. If you can lengthen the first strap behind the dog's neck, that should drop the chest strap. . .

A shorter workout with even weight on both sides is what I would do, but you know your dog best.

RayG

There is one more hole I can use to lower the chest strap. I will also punch one more. That should be good then.

Both drags would be 10lbs total (18% of his weight). If I go with both weights, should I stop at 15 minutes the first week and increase 5 minutes per week?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Az Draht wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:Harness might be a little small for the dog. The chest strap should ride lower, in the middle of the chest I think. If you can lengthen the first strap behind the dog's neck, that should drop the chest strap. . .

A shorter workout with even weight on both sides is what I would do, but you know your dog best.

RayG

There is one more hole I can use to lower the chest strap. I will also punch one more. That should be good then.

Both drags would be 10lbs total (18% of his weight). If I go with both weights, should I stop at 15 minutes the first week and increase 5 minutes per week?

That is actually not a lot of weight. When I used drags they were ten pounds each.

I can't tell you how long. That depends on your dog, the condition it is in now and how fast it builds up.

Watch the dog. Watch it closely. It will tell you.

Young dogs are stupid...they don't know when to quit, so you have to supply the brains. I do think if the dog is in pretty decent shape, fifteen minutes to start with should be very safe for an adult 45-50# dog.

When it starts to let up or slow down...quit immediately and water the dog, no matter what the elapsed time is. Done is done.

Build up time gradually and be ready to cut back on the time as the temps go up especially if it is also humid. Hot and humid will tear a hole in a dog faster than just about anything.

Have an ample supply of water available if it is warm. By ample, I mean enough to soak the dog down.

RayG

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Good posts Ray.

This is a good thread. Probably should be under "Training" to get more attention.

+1 on keeping him cooled down when it's warm. I like to use a plastic stock tank before working dogs in the summer. Lead them in with a command lead or check cord. Let them stand in water up to their belly for a minute, and away you go. Remember to take plenty of water with you.

I don't know the age of your pointer, but I don't recommend roading them at under 1 1/2 years.

Try to set up a schedule of days on/ days off, and keep a record to increase distance gradually. I like to go every other day, but it can be a real big commitment. Not for the dog, but for the handler.

Keep an eye on the metal clasps so they don't rub him. Replace or wrap with vet tape if you need to. You should be able to make this rig work for you.

I'd also suggest riding your bike with him, as long as it's safe, and you can keep up. It will help you keep up to him this fall. :wink:

Nate

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sat May 18, 2013 5:36 am

Why do you think you need the weights?????? And what are you reading off of

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat May 18, 2013 7:55 am

myerstenn wrote:Why do you think you need the weights?????? And what are you reading off of
My thinking was use weights to maximize the workout in a shorter period of time. Get the workout done before it heats up to much each morning. I don't have a atv or horse for him to pull against.

I will be walking or biking.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Sat May 18, 2013 12:03 pm

I have the same harness and a similar dog. It'll fit.

I'd stop and water that dog as early as 5 minutes into the workout (no later than 10) whether he looked like he needed it or not.