Gundog Door

windswept

Gundog Door

Post by windswept » Tue May 07, 2013 6:55 am

I need some new doors from the kennel runs to my building. I like the idea of the Gundog Doors but it seems like I read somewhere that when they slam shut behind the dog they are really loud. It's nice to sleep with my bedroom windows open and I really don't want to hear BANG BANG BANG all night.
Any experience with these?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Gundog Door

Post by PntrRookie » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

Sorry no experience with those but I like my http://www.k-9kondo.com/kennel-door-free-shipping/ doors

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Sorry no experience with those but I like my http://www.k-9kondo.com/kennel-door-free-shipping/ doors
That's what I'm replacing! Mine are about 7 years old now. I like the k-9 kondo door but I'd like to try something a little more weather proof.

I know a number of the people on this forum use the Gundog Door. I'd like to hear a few reviews before I go that route.
Thanks

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

The doors with the spring hinges are very loud. When we built our most recent kennel we went with the easy doors. I am building custom shrouds to go around them and adding guillotine doors on the inside.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

We have them....they're LOUD!!! If you like to sleep at night with your windows open, pick a different door. We're waiting for our old dog to die so we can sleep at night again (he can't hold it through the night).

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I have these installed right now. They are great, with the exception of noise. To solve this I put weather stripping on the doors now when they close the "slam" is muffled and unnoticeable. Had the k9 condo doors for a year when I redid my kennel. Originally I had the gundog door but wanted to give the k9s a try because of their ability to stay in an open position during summer.
We have cold winters here and unless you live down south I wouldn't recommend them. My hound heaters were on full blast with those just to keep the heat. The gundog doors I barely turn them up to keep the house warm. In the summer I just tie them up in the open position to the fence. Works great.
Just my experience.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

I have two Gundog Doors between my outside kennels and the dog's interior quarters in my garage. I trimmed the entrance holes with wood, and the doors are not obnoxiously loud. Had a pup start gnawing on that wood, so I put a piece of tin over it, and now it's very noisy. In spite of the noise, I like the way the doors seal up, no chance for mice or snakes getting through, even tough for insects. I will try the weatherstripping to quiet things down once this pup is beyond the chewing stage. Overall, I give the doors two thumbs up.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 am

campgsp, can you post a picture of your door and the weather stripping? I'd KILL to muffle the sound.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed May 08, 2013 6:34 am

campgsp wrote:...My hound heaters were on full blast with those just to keep the heat...
I know this is off the topic of the doors but if the dog house is the appropriate size (Dog Den 2 size) those heaters are MORE than enough. I have 3 and with the setter I have to turn it way low. With the pointers, I keep them on but it is never too hot. Very well regulated. Something doesn't seem right if you feel they are not heating properly. I am north of you as well.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
campgsp wrote:...My hound heaters were on full blast with those just to keep the heat...
I know this is off the topic of the doors but if the dog house is the appropriate size (Dog Den 2 size) those heaters are MORE than enough. I have 3 and with the setter I have to turn it way low. With the pointers, I keep them on but it is never too hot. Very well regulated. Something doesn't seem right if you feel they are not heating properly. I am north of you as well.
My dog boxes are homemade on the inside wall of my garage. Fully insulated. They are bigger then the dog dens or any on market doghouses. It basically looks like a work bench in there. They are 45" tall and 36" out x 44" across in each, With a divider put in during winter w/a rubber flap on divider door. Basically they get a hallway and a room. The room being 25" x 36 with heater.
I should have mentioned that, my bad.

The gundog door serves me better. When the dogs first come out of the dog box in the morning is how I know if it's warm enough or not by feeling them right off.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm

campgsp wrote:I have these installed right now. They are great, with the exception of noise. To solve this I put weather stripping on the doors now when they close the "slam" is muffled and unnoticeable.
+1

That being said, your dog will likely find the weatherstripping and promptly shred it. :cry:
I have a K-9 door waiting to be installed as a replacement for my Gun Dog door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Anyone find a good gundog door replacement that has a plexiglass/lexan flap or window in it? I have 7 dogs using the same doors and someone will get knocked out cold if they can't see out.

jessie3565

Post by jessie3565 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm

I have some doors that may work for you. please send me a private message or email.