Brittany Lines and Field Trialing

RCB

Brittany Lines and Field Trialing

Post by RCB » Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm

I started out with Brittanys but have been all shorthairs for the last 15 years. I am now looking to once again start running some Brits and will probably pick up a couple this summer. I like big running dogs and would like to pick up some really well bred ones from field trial lines but it has been a long time since I followed the breed and I am not familiar with the current dogs running the circuit. I have started looking around the net and some past issues of American Field and will continue doing some research with some regional clubs. Would appreciate it if some knowledgable forum members could point me in the right direct and suggest some specific dogs or kennel/lines that I should look at. Thanks.
Last edited by RCB on Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurice

Re: Brittany Lines and Field Trialing

Post by Maurice » Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm

knine and chukar 12 both post on this forum. They should have what you are looking for or can steer you in the right direction. I am sure their are more folks here as well that can help. On the east coast you well find www.pineyrunkennel.com Martha just bred 1 of her females last week, it is a repeat breeding. The 1st litter looks real good, they are almost a year old.

Mo

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Mo just took the words out of my mouth. I would look hard a Knine, or Chukar12. Both have big running Britts that have shown the lines can compete at a big level.
I currently have 2 young dogs from Knine, and am more than pleased with them. Both are big running (1 huge running) dogs that hav e great noses and are very bidable. I am certain she will pick you out what you are looking for. I have let her pick out 3 pups for me. I have liked every pick she has made me.
I will get more dogs from these 2 in the future to bring out east. They produce some good dogs.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you for the endorsements.
I do not personally have any litters planned, but I do have a breeder who used my Sonny dog in Reno with a litter due to whelp soon. If you look at my website... www.jggundogs.com the female is similar in breeding to my dog Amber, and this is the breeding that produced my puppy Patch. I do have two other breeders with inquiries to breed to Sonny in early summer, one will have pups to sell. If I can help please PM me or contact me through the site above.

Arlette (K-Nine) will be a quicker route she has pups now and more coming I believe.

If geography is an issue and you want someone close please fell free to ask for a recommendation, I am happy to point you to folks I trust around the country...good luck, Joe

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 am

I would look to the Purina Award for the last 3 years, and contact the handler or owner. Some have web sites.

I prefer to see them in the field, particularly their offspring.

Good luck, and welcome back.

RCB

Post by RCB » Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will take a look at all of the kennels referenced and see what is available. I am set on picking up two pups by the end of summer so it will be fun times again at my household. Love having young ones around but want to make the best decision possible on the breeding. If the pups are workout, I will be running them in horseback stakes so beyond time and energy there is a significant financial commitment too. Thanks again.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

It would help to know what part of the country you plan to run in. The best dogs can adapt and run anywhere, but there are very few proven wild bird Brittanys.

RCB

Post by RCB » Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Neil, I am out in Southern California and plan on running the two pups I purchase with a local pro that travels to a lot of the major events out west and the nationals.

I know a lot of dogs with recent success out here have been out of Redlines Tequila Smoker. He has thrown some nice dogs that have done well out in the desert terrain. A friend of mine had a nice male out of him that was stolen recently from his home. He is pushing me to get something out of one of his off spring but I like to be different, ha.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am

Would the pro be Paul Doiron? if so you can ask him or Peggy about Doc Windy Lucy Ozzy Jenni who are on his string

I have a repeat of the breeding that last year won the Western All Age futurity Ory's Doc Holliday and Paul just Pending AKC approval http://www.remekvizslas.net/dog.php4?id=56750 finished Blew By Yet which is a litter mate to Doc.

Joe Gowers pups are super nice also

Between Sonny and Maxwell's Blew by you those seem to be the current pups which are doing pretty good in the Field trials

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:03 am

If it is Paul, and if it is a So Ca Brittany pro I cannot imagine who else it might be? He can fill you in on all of the breedings mentioned, he is certainly well versed and patently, brutally honest as most crusty old trainers are....and nobody knows Smokey dogs better...anywhere. If you note above, Neil mentioned wild birds, all of my dogs are wild bird dogs first and foremost, they have to be complete including hunting dead and retrieving, there are numerous photos on my site. In addition, Paul hunts some of his string and trains them all on wild birds (valley quail) at a ranch in New Cuyama, again, he will have a good idea for you about which dogs handle wild birds well.

We have talked of some breedings to come that will include Smokey, Blew by You and sired by Sonny ... Paul and his brother will be the breeder, for a client using Paul a couple of those pups may be available.

It would be great to have another west coast trialer, look forward to seeing you down the road.

Joe

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

Chukar12 wrote:If it is Paul, and if it is a So Ca Brittany pro I cannot imagine who else it might be? He can fill you in on all of the breedings mentioned, he is certainly well versed and patently, brutally honest as most crusty old trainers are....and nobody knows Smokey dogs better...anywhere. If you note above, Neil mentioned wild birds, all of my dogs are wild bird dogs first and foremost, they have to be complete including hunting dead and retrieving, there are numerous photos on my site. In addition, Paul hunts some of his string and trains them all on wild birds (valley quail) at a ranch in New Cuyama, again, he will have a good idea for you about which dogs handle wild birds well.

We have talked of some breedings to come that will include Smokey, Blew by You and sired by Sonny ... Paul and his brother will be the breeder, for a client using Paul a couple of those pups may be available.

It would be great to have another west coast trialer, look forward to seeing you down the road.

Joe
I sure wish I could have a video and a good camera shot of that trial there at Dans a couple years ago
a bright crisp early morning with the morning dew steaming off the vegetation a dog on point, as Paul goes in for the flush a flight of a couple dozen wild valley quail filled the air around Paul and the dog. Made getting up early and braving the cold well well worth it it sure was Picture perfect.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I think that there's a lot of nice Brits out there that would make good trial dogs and great wild bird dogs. I'm not sure what a huge running Brit is, but finding a pup capable of running GD off horse shouldn't be too hard with the advice given above. There's a few breeders who have no problem shipping dogs as well. Neil gives some good advice. Check out the Purina standings and compare those dogs to the young dogs who are winning. The ABC's website gives a ton of info to look through. Good luck finding what your looking for.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 pm

To a long tail guy there is no such thing as a big running Britt :lol: www.clubs.akc.org/britt and look under recent Brittany Champions. It will give you a good overview on what lines are currently winning.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 pm

"but there are very few proven wild bird Brittanys." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Disagree. There are tons of Brittanys that given the chance will and have become excellent wild bird dogs.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:"but there are very few proven wild bird Brittanys." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Disagree. There are tons of Brittanys that given the chance will and have become excellent wild bird dogs.
You are right, I should have modified it to mean there are very few proven wild bird field trial Brittanys. There are tousands of proven wild bird hunting Brittanys. It is what they do best.

RCB

Post by RCB » Thu May 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Yes, the trainer I will be looking to use is Paul Doiron. A friend of my had a dog with him and was happy with his work. In the past I used Jimmy Berneathy before he left California some time ago.

I want to thank everyone again for all the info contained in this tread. Still in the process of contacting some of the recommendations as I gain more knowledge on the current dogs running.

RCB

Post by RCB » Sun May 12, 2013 8:08 pm

With all this research I have been doing and with all of the boards help I am well on my way in finally deciding on which direction to go with the two pups I want to pick up. However, I thought it would be interesting to pose a question to the forum members. Without choosing dogs from your kennel, what two britts would you put together, and why, to get some pups if you were starting over... lets make it what two pairs :D .

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun May 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Even though I have had some nice dogs out of TJ and Rocky as sires, were I to buy a pup today I would call Jerry McGee to see what he has bred Chug to lately. Second call would be to Chad Holman to see what he has on the ground.

But in your case, I think you need to ask Paul, while true pros like any dog that will win, most have a line they are comfortable with. Tom White's dogs come to mind.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun May 12, 2013 9:48 pm

I believe Magnums Masked Man and Rocky dogs are a nice nick.

Maxwell's lines which are essentially Microdot & Lobo lines are very good.

Holman lines are always good in my opinion.

Bourbon lines and early Jayhawker lines are good.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm

I know who Id pick. I'd pick the dog this one is out of. This dog is AWESOME! And nobody will ever know her name because she's just a hunting dog. I'll never forget when the trainer told me we all screwed up when we passed on her. Her first summer at camp she was perfectly happy at 800 yards and handling. Yet he had to reel her in. I've seen her point wild pheasants in SD, and pen raised birds in WA state. I'm not kidding when I say I've seen her point birds 50 yards away and be 100% confident she had them nailed. She doesn't look too bad standing either. She is the one that got away, she would have made a real name for herself on the trial circuit if given a chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

jetjockey wrote:I know who Id pick. I'd pick the dog this one is out of. This dog is AWESOME! And nobody will ever know her name because she's just a hunting dog. I'll never forget when the trainer told me we all screwed up when we passed on her. Her first summer at camp she was perfectly happy at 800 yards and handling. Yet he had to reel her in. I've seen her point wild pheasants in SD, and pen raised birds in WA state. I'm not kidding when I say I've seen her point birds 50 yards away and be 100% confident she had them nailed. She doesn't look too bad standing either. She is the one that got away, she would have made a real name for herself on the trial circuit if given a chance.
So what is her breeding, Walker?

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 pm

RCB wrote:With all this research I have been doing and with all of the boards help I am well on my way in finally deciding on which direction to go with the two pups I want to pick up. However, I thought it would be interesting to pose a question to the forum members. Without choosing dogs from your kennel, what two britts would you put together, and why, to get some pups if you were starting over... lets make it what two pairs :D .
Since you mentioned two pairs why not go traditional with one and "outside the box" with the other?

Why choose an "outside the box" breeding? A few years ago I read something that suggested our modern selective line breeding programs make for more consistent and predictable offspring, but many of the truly excellent dogs more often come from an unusual outcross. My interpretation of this was that modern selective breeding reduces the number of dogs that would be considered statistical outliers. Moreover, those once in a generation type of performers are almost by definition a statistical outlier. This could explain why many of our outstanding all-age dogs don't come from pairing a high powered all-age mother with a high powered all-age father. The downside is that outliers end up on both sides of the norm. The chances of getting a dog on the upper side may be as great as the chances of getting one on the lower side of the norm. It is a higher risk - higher reward situation. Several people in the thread "Could the dogs 50 years ago win today?" (sorry, I don't know how to link to other threads) touched on some of these ideas when they said the truly great ones are an anomaly and our years of selective breeding have raised the average, but done little to increase the upper end of the spectrum. I don't claim to have any answers here, but they're some interesting ideas to explore. Since you want two dogs why not try it with one of them? (Its so much easier to spend other people's time and money. :lol: )

For the "out of the box" puppy, I'd still start with one high powered all-age parent, then I'd call Rick or Ronnie Smith for advice about the other parent. I don't believe their dogs currently get used very often by the powers that be in the Brittany world, so they probably have one that fits the criteria of unusual, but all-age capable, outcross. Besides, if the Smith family doesn't know a great all-age Brittany, who does?

For the more traditional route to an all-age dog, I'd start with Tom White and Margaret Horstmeyer's Rita (MTB Cabo Rita De Scipio). As you probably know, she is a national amateur all-age winner with multiple national all-age runner ups. Her mother had multiple national all-age top four finishes and her mother's mother was a national all-age champion. You probably can't find a stronger maternal line than this. For the sire, its hard to beat Tom and Margaret's track record. I'd go with whatever they choose. Of course wanting one and actually getting on their short list for a puppy are two very different matters. Good luck.

If I was picking Rita's mate I'd look into Joker's Jackpot. I heard several years ago that Jim John predicted great things for this dog and it looks like he was right. Besides I'm partial to the Tequila's Joker/Smarteyes Microbeans pairing that produced his father (truth be told, my dog's mother and Jackpot's father were littermates) along with several other national all-age top four finishers.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Neil wrote:
jetjockey wrote:I know who Id pick. I'd pick the dog this one is out of. This dog is AWESOME! And nobody will ever know her name because she's just a hunting dog. I'll never forget when the trainer told me we all screwed up when we passed on her. Her first summer at camp she was perfectly happy at 800 yards and handling. Yet he had to reel her in. I've seen her point wild pheasants in SD, and pen raised birds in WA state. I'm not kidding when I say I've seen her point birds 50 yards away and be 100% confident she had them nailed. She doesn't look too bad standing either. She is the one that got away, she would have made a real name for herself on the trial circuit if given a chance.
I'd also like to know her breeding. With the white on the front of her back leg and the orange on the rear, I'm going to guess there is some Nolan's Last Bullet in there somewhere.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Is there anyone that is liking the Kinwashkly breedings?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 am

KCBrittfan wrote:
Neil wrote:
I'd also like to know her breeding. With the white on the front of her back leg and the orange on the rear, I'm going to guess there is some Nolan's Last Bullet in there somewhere.
There is not a hint of NLB anywhere in her pedigree.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 am

I'd definitely buy a Kansas Kid bred dog again. I've had 2, and they were/are both pretty darned special animals. I've got my first pup with Gambler's Ace in the Hole behind her now, and she has the potential to be awesome, but she doesn't appear to have any conscience or remorse. We've been calling her NoJenny since her arrival.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am

slistoe wrote:Is there anyone that is liking the Kinwashkly breedings?
+1

Muygrande

Post by Muygrande » Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
slistoe wrote:Is there anyone that is liking the Kinwashkly breedings?
+1
DC Kinwashkly Dirty Ned Pepper is a super nice dog.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 am

I personally do not think there has been a poor choice mentioned in the thread. I cannot say what I would do, if I knew I would certainly be doing it. I am looking for a female now. I watched every brace of the Brittany Amateur and Open Nationals this past year, the handful of hour stakes out west over the last couple of years and I am still not sure. Some of what I like is not necessarily from the elite dogs, I am still relatively new and I am absolutely amazed at the performance difference I see in some dogs handled by professionals v. the same dog handled by an amateur. There are some nice dogs handled by amateurs that have serious steering and manners issues that I attribute to the trainer/handler( I am afflicted myself at times), but the raw talent is there.

Knowing the lines and health issues is important. Some pairings in particular are ill advised, and most Brittany breeders are aware enough to avoid doubling stuff up.

I also think its really important when the fantasy side of choice becomes reality to have a network you trust of people watching dogs. On a given day a dog can win a stake by default or simply have the perfect day. I know very celebrated dogs that I have watched that did not look impressive at all when I watched them with perhaps too high a hope...only to hear that in a big trial a week later they looked unbeatable. I want bold, independent dogs we will work out the pecking order, just don't bore me.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue May 14, 2013 11:02 am

Jetjockey, I know this breeding and believe quite a few very nice dogs came from it if I am correct :) .
I am impressed in your modesty in holding back the pictures of the other successful dogs from this breeding (or litter).
Was this particular breeding ever repeated?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am

TS. She's actually a dog from a repeat breeding, and she isnt mine. She was offered to several of us when she was young. Not sure if you remember "Midge", but that's her. I could of had her as my "hunting dog" while my other dog was on the circuit. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my dog was just supposed to be my hunting dog as well. BTW. "Midge" IMO is a lot better than my dog! And I'm pretty darn happy with my pup.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am

Jetjockey, is this dog a full sister to yours?

jczv

Post by jczv » Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 am

jetjockey wrote:TS. She's actually a dog from a repeat breeding, and she isnt mine. She was offered to several of us when she was young. Not sure if you remember "Midge", but that's her. I could of had her as my "hunting dog" while my other dog was on the circuit. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my dog was just supposed to be my hunting dog as well. BTW. "Midge" IMO is a lot better than my dog! And I'm pretty darn happy with my pup.
I'm obviously bored reading these threads at lunch but what is the point of posting 3 times in a thread looking for information and playing mystery science theater with some dog. And now some 'in the know' buddy of yours is going to join in to the game and even they don't what what your talking about. If the breeding is a secret why are you posting at all and if it isn't why don't you just come out and say at least the sire / dam or whatever you know especially when you were specifically asked after your first post?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm

It's not a secret, but since I didn't breed the dogs or own the dogs, I don't want to post the names over the Internet since its not my place to. Some people don't want their dogs name all over the Internet. It's too easy to google dogs names, their owners, and find out everything you need to know, including the address if you were looking to steal a good dog. Not saying it would happen on this forum, but Google is a scary thing some times. Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you who the dogs are.

TS. No, she's not from the same breeding. There is very little cross, but I will be breeding my pup to the same line next spring. My dad owned the dog in the picture, but she came from the same string my dog is on..

jczv

Post by jczv » Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm

jetjockey wrote:It's not a secret, but since I didn't breed the dogs or own the dogs, I don't want to post the names over the Internet since its not my place to. Some people don't want their dogs name all over the Internet. It's too easy to google dogs names, their owners, and find out everything you need to know, including the address if you were looking to steal a good dog. Not saying it would happen on this forum, but Google is a scary thing some times. Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you who the dogs are.

TS. No, she's not from the same breeding. There is very little cross, but I will be breeding my pup to the same line next spring. My dad owned the dog in the picture, but she came from the same string my dog is on..
OK I give - so with this post it makes 10 posts in this thread about a dog that your not going to post any information about except it's kind of sorta bred like your dog. That amounts to essentially trolling whether it's done on purpose or not. Since I'm just encouraging more posts with no content I'll quit.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

jetjockey wrote:It's not a secret, but since I didn't breed the dogs or own the dogs, I don't want to post the names over the Internet since its not my place to. Some people don't want their dogs name all over the Internet. It's too easy to google dogs names, their owners, and find out everything you need to know, including the address if you were looking to steal a good dog. Not saying it would happen on this forum, but Google is a scary thing some times. Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you who the dogs are.

If no one posted their thoughts or information about a dog or anything else we could just close up shop and go do something constructive.

Ezzy

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Like I said, it's not my place to post a dogs name for possible breeding purposes all over the Internet since its not my dog and Im not sure the owner would appreciate it. I know I wouldn't. Several PM's have even sent for anyone interested, and I'd gladly respond via PM. Now I will gladly take myself out of this conversation.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 14, 2013 1:22 pm

That is just nonsense, any dog that has ever won has the dog's full information, including the owner and their address in AKC and American Field, same if you have ever judged.

Thinking about it, a breeder's full info is available from the same sources even if the dog hasn't won. If you have registered a dog, your info is available.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm

RCB wrote:With all this research I have been doing and with all of the boards help I am well on my way in finally deciding on which direction to go with the two pups I want to pick up. However, I thought it would be interesting to pose a question to the forum members. Without choosing dogs from your kennel, what two britts would you put together, and why, to get some pups if you were starting over... lets make it what two pairs :D .

Hard to say where i would go and not use the dogs that I have incorped into my breeding program.
My program I am working with lining up then crossing out has been from long time watching and seeing what dogs are really producing
The 1st Chuck Yotie breeding I did from the 5 pups she had 2 pups are in NAVHDA which both of these pus got their Prize 1 in natural abilities 2are in Horseback trials one won the all age western futurity the other is an FC and 1 is in NSTRA

my yotie and chucker12 dog have some same breeding....I like how the beans blaze lobos blazin candy man crossed in with his young dog..I had a very similiar type breeding on the lobo lines which I bred to chuck and that dog is all age running with the long tails and also placing in the brittany hour stakes.
So though these dogs are in my kennel I have been through some other breedings which were nice but they didn't meet up to things I look or

so many potential crossings out there.some work and sometimes what you think should be a firecracker of a breeding doesn't line up :( as well as one would think it should

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Chukar12 wrote: . . .Knowing the lines and health issues is important. Some pairings in particular are ill advised, and most Brittany breeders are aware enough to avoid doubling stuff up.
Chukar: Was my fantasy pairing of Rita and Jackpot the type of ill advised mating you're referring to here? It occurs to me that this match up may be too much inbreeding. I know some people would do it even if it was too close of a pairing, but then some people also cull their rejects. I personally have no stomach for that, but I also wouldn't take away anyones choice to do it.
Chukar12 wrote:I also think its really important when the fantasy side of choice becomes reality to have a network you trust of people watching dogs. On a given day a dog can win a stake by default or simply have the perfect day. I know very celebrated dogs that I have watched that did not look impressive at all when I watched them with perhaps too high a hope...only to hear that in a big trial a week later they looked unbeatable. I want bold, independent dogs we will work out the pecking order, just don't bore me.
I agree a trusted network is great to have. The problem is that for 11 or 12 years family health issues forced me to limit my dog activities to only the hunting season. At one point I was even without a hunting dog. Those dark days are over :) , but I've been having to rebuild my contacts almost from scratch. Unfortunately I've run into a few members of the Missouri Brittany Club who give you the cold shoulder when they find out you've got interest in and/or sympathy for NSTRA dogs. In fact, I'm wondering if I insulted Jetjockey when I guessed the mystery dog he posted a picture of was related to Nolan's Last Bullet. It didn't used to be this way. Like my screen name says, I'm a Brittany fan. I have enjoyed both horseback and NSTRA venues and I strongly feel both bring some good things to the table. However, the current climate of bickering (in at least this area of the country) has caused a couple of people I know to quit the Brittany club and several more to not join in the first place. This atmosphere makes it very hard to network with the horseback guys. The internet has changed our ability to gather field trial and pedigree information, but it pales when compared to a good old fashioned face-to-face exchange. I hate to say it, but the most trustworthy face-to-face information on horseback Brittanys I've gotten lately came from guys who campaign other breeds, but are frequently asked to judge Brittany trials. Maybe not having a stake in the breed leads to more open and honest opinions?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

KCBrittfan wrote:Chukar: Was my fantasy pairing of Rita and Jackpot the type of ill advised mating you're referring to here? It occurs to me that this match up may be too much inbreeding. I know some people would do it even if it was too close of a pairing, but then some people also cull their rejects. I personally have no stomach for that, but I also wouldn't take away anyones choice to do it.
Rita and Jackpot (IMO) are two exceptional dogs, they are however too closely related in a line where you are well served to use caution on hip issues when line breeding. I do agree that the networking can be difficult, however, if you look closely and listen closer...you can usually find some like minded folks that are not inclined to participate in all the gossip and fuss. Volunteer organizations do not necessarily function in an efficient and orderly manner.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

KCBrit. No worries at all, in no way did you offend me. I think this forum got a litle off track simply because I wouldn't say publicly who the dog I mentioned above was out of. But if someone wanted to know, Id be glad to tell them...... If it were me, Id look to cross Blaze Dakota Trucker lines with something along the lines of Chubasco breeding. If they had Trucker straws, Id probably try to breed directly to him. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 dogs from him that have done incredibly well in AA trials. Kinwashkly Dakota Molester and Dakota Alleycat both produced some huge wins and both placed in Nationals. He has grand progeny that have won at early ages as well at the highest level, including 1st and 2nd at the AA futurity, RU at the Victorie Nationale,1st and 3rd at the 2011 Chicken championship, 4th at Nationals, and several other big placements including the Pheasant Ch. The Chubasco line has produced some pretty nice dogs as well. Several National placements along with several big Championships wins including the Quail and the Pheasant. That's where Id look if it were me!

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
KCBrittfan wrote:Chukar: Was my fantasy pairing of Rita and Jackpot the type of ill advised mating you're referring to here? It occurs to me that this match up may be too much inbreeding. I know some people would do it even if it was too close of a pairing, but then some people also cull their rejects. I personally have no stomach for that, but I also wouldn't take away anyones choice to do it.
Rita and Jackpot (IMO) are two exceptional dogs, they are however too closely related in a line where you are well served to use caution on hip issues when line breeding. I do agree that the networking can be difficult, however, if you look closely and listen closer...you can usually find some like minded folks that are not inclined to participate in all the gossip and fuss. Volunteer organizations do not necessarily function in an efficient and orderly manner.
Chukar: Thanks for the Rita/Jackpot information. I didn't know hip problems were an issue when that line gets doubled up. Thankfully, I've picked puppies a lot more carefully than the way I've posted on the internet. The subject of when does line breeding become too much inbreeding interests me. However, that discussion is better left to another thread and to another time, when I can give it the attention it deserves. Until then I'll leave the real world match making to others (not that I'm inclined to breed a litter of pups in the foreseeable future).

Maybe I was just lucky twenty years ago when the networking seemed to come easier. I do know that I haven't put as much time into it as I did back then. A wife, kids, and a real job will do that. :D It does bother me when I see willing volunteers run off because of the bickering. I took the opportunity your post provided to do a little venting. My apologies to the original poster.

To the original poster: I'm glad to hear your rejoining the Brittany ranks. The more the merrier. I wish you tremendous success. If you feel like it, keep us posted on what puppies you choose and how things turn out.

RCB

Post by RCB » Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Has anyone seen the dog DC Shadow Attack run; and if so, what do you think of him? I know he is an all age dog that has done his fair share of winning. He looks to be built right and overall is a good looking dog but I have never seen him run/perform.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 am

RCB wrote:Has anyone seen the dog DC Shadow Attack run; and if so, what do you think of him? I know he is an all age dog that has done his fair share of winning. He looks to be built right and overall is a good looking dog but I have never seen him run/perform.
I haven't seen Shadow Attack run, but have seen plenty of Shambo's Dark Shadow's other offspring first hand. They are extremely well built dogs, with intense drive, and amazing smarts. I was able to snag a pup out of Shambo/Nolans Last Bullet lines. Its the smartest pup I have ever owned... he already knows how to unsnap his tie out and open our front door (only dog I have ever owned who could do that). The pup works out to 200+ yards in open country no problem, and works closer in the dense grouse brush. But he is definitely a big runner with a cannon for a nose.... hope this helps.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

Shadow is one of the greatest Brittanys ever, defeating over 3700 top notch dogs. That is amazing! He placed over 30% of the times, having to beat TJ and Jordon each time. He will go in the Hall this year. I would love to have his bloodline in my kennel. Full disclosure, his owner has been a personal friend for 40 years.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Neil wrote:Shadow is one of the greatest Brittanys ever, defeating over 3700 top notch dogs. That is amazing! He placed over 30% of the times, having to beat TJ and Jordon each time. He will go in the Hall this year. I would love to have his bloodline in my kennel. Full disclosure, his owner has been a personal friend for 40 years.

Shambo's Dark Shadow or Shadow Attack?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 am

Shambows dark shadow is "Shadow". Shadow Attack is "Tack". Tack is out of Shadow. Shadow is the dog Neil is referring to.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 am

jetjockey wrote:Shambows dark shadow is "Shadow". Shadow Attack is "Tack". Tack is out of Shadow. Shadow is the dog Neil is referring to.
Thanks

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 16, 2013 10:58 am

jetjockey wrote:Shambows dark shadow is "Shadow". Shadow Attack is "Tack". Tack is out of Shadow. Shadow is the dog Neil is referring to.
Yes, sorry I was not more clear, I was writting as though I was talking at a trial.