Urgent Help

Double Shot Banks

Urgent Help

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello,
We have been ff training my dog, banks. And he has stayed at my dads house.
He has escaped before so we used an electric fence (ment for dogs) around the inside of the kennel and he has stayed inside.
But recently he started eating (not necessarily ingesting) the side of the building (fiberglass/plastic), and today he chewed through the building, through 3/4 inch plywood and started chewing the 2x4 frame around the dog door leading into his box inside the building.
Please if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated, he can't keep doing this and when he comes back to my house the building is much thinner, its sheet metal with foam.

The electric fence was to keep him inside, because he has escaped through the fence multiple times before, but it seems like when we are gone he has to do SOMETHING whether its chewing apart the building or getting out, his brain needs something to do it seems like no matter how much exercise he gets.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

cmc274

Urgent Help

Post by cmc274 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

Get a kennel or a crate, not rocket science.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Urgent Help

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Cement and heavy gauge chain link.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

We have a kennel... it is a 3 sided chain link dog kennel up against a building, so he has a door to go inside into a box.
I was not asking what i should keep him in but thank you.
I think we got it, just put up a fourth panel on the side of the building, and cut a hole so his door could swing open and ran the electric fence around the door so he can get in and out but no chew anymore. We think it will be fine,
Thanks

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

A tired dog is a good dog.Also something to chew on might be warranted.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm

We are definetly going to get him some sort of bone (not rawhide) to chew on,
Isaac and Banks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 pm

http://www.redbarninc.com/redbarn-pet-p ... kle-bones/

The white Knuckle Bones from here keep them entertained for a LONG time

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm

The electric wire (fence) is not training the dog to not chew, but to stay a way from it. You keep adding it to places, he will become afraid to move from the center of his kennel run.

You need better kennels, not more electricity.

As usual, you ask a question, argue with the suggestions, and then do it your way, even if wrong.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 am

Your dog's chewing through a building is a sign of an anxiety or or social issue. It is not a chewing problem!

I would take a step back. Forget the FF for now and resocialize this Labrador before it is to late. I was involved in two clubs for 10 years with my lab and I have seen a lot. We had an active rescue program and most of the dogs were ruined by their owners expectations.

Correct me if I am wrong but Banks is less than ahead old? Not every dog is ready to be force fetched when the owner wants them to be.

A while back you were asking about gun shyness. Now you are asking about "chewing through a building". This new behavior is a sign that something bigger is wrong.

Here's my advice from a total amateur...

Get him out of a big outdoor kennel and put him in a smaller indoor crate. You can take the crate anywhere. Even to your dad's for FF training(which I think is a really bad idea at this point in time). There will be a transition period where he is going to hate the crate because it is new but eventually he will settle down and begin to assimilate. Once he's adjusted you can use the crate to your advantage in training. He will eventually take ownership of the crate and you will solve some behavioral problems naturally.

Now when he goes outside to a kennel you can take the crate throw it in the kennel and he has his place there In the kennel. His place. I don't know who came up with the idea but I have seen this work on dozens of dogs. It makes a huge difference when moving a dog from one environment to a completely different one.

Whether you take my advice or not I want to be clear that your Labrador is showing signs of a much bigger behavioral issue. Labradors may be "chewers" but the behavior banks is showing is not excessive chewing. It is something else.

This can lead to huge problems down the road if you don't take a step back and look at what you are doing incorrectly. I have made huge mistakes training my own dogs in the past. You have the chance to turn this around. You have to make that choice and take the first step or this is going to get a whole lot worse!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 am

will-kelly wrote:Your dog's chewing through a building is a sign of an anxiety or or social issue. It is not a chewing problem!
+1
Neil wrote:The electric wire (fence) is not training the dog to not chew, but to stay a way from it. You keep adding it to places, he will become afraid to move from the center of his kennel run.

You need better kennels, not more electricity.
+1

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 am

Neil wrote:As usual, you ask a question, argue with the suggestions, and then do it your way, even if wrong.
+1
I think you have some growing up to do.
If you going to ask question on a public forum, then you need to be able to handle the replies. Even if its not what you want to here.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 am

We needed a fix immediately, I know it is not the best one but it seems to be working. He isn't afraid to go outside.
We are going to build a better kennel at my house where he stays most of the time.
He is making good progress in the ff training, fetching good, working on hold, giving good.
After a few days we think he will be ready to move to the ground, but time will tell.
I know you all have good suggestions but i cannot do them all.
We will get him a bone, and as soon as he is done ff training (time will tell obviously) he will get much more exercise every day lik ehe is is used to.
For now he gets run every day in the yard and every weekend he either goes swimming at the lake or running in the field, or both.
I dont mean to sound uneducated but i am,
Thank you,
Isaac and Banks

P.S We have a professional trainer helping us, he doesn't think the dog is gunshy and just needs to be worked with more birds (this summer he is helping) and thinks we should just give him a bone

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 am

Please listen to Neil and all of those that gave a "+1" to his comments. They are not trying to be mean. Sometimes you just need to hear the cold, hard truth. You tell me who cares more: the person who has the difficult conversation or the person who just looks the other way?

will-kelly has some nice ideas. I would add that you need to choose a stout metal crate. I've seen a dog that was able to get his teeth into plastic ventilation holes and start chewing. Thankfully that is as far as he got, but from there its probably a quick step to chewing completely out of a plastic crate.

Good luck with Banks

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

The new kennel will be made from cow panels, and the side of the building is sheet metal, hopefully by then he will forget because he will be in his normal routine.
Isaac and Banks

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:The new kennel will be made from cow panels, and the side of the building is sheet metal, hopefully by then he will forget because he will be in his normal routine.
Isaac and Banks
That sounds like a good setup to me. I've had several labs and they all chewed from time to time when they were puppies. Expect it to continue until he's at least 2. Usually they won't chew on metal, so you shouldn't have a repeat of the issue with the building siding. As others mentioned, it helps if you take him out regularly to relieve his boredom, but I've never had a lab puppy that didn't chew at least some even when exercised. Without seeing your dog, I wouldn't assume its a behavioral problem like others have said. Sounds normal for a lab.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 am

will-kelly wrote:Your dog's chewing through a building is a sign of an anxiety or or social issue. It is not a chewing problem!

I would take a step back. Forget the FF for now and resocialize this Labrador before it is to late. I was involved in two clubs for 10 years with my lab and I have seen a lot. We had an active rescue program and most of the dogs were ruined by their owners expectations.

Correct me if I am wrong but Banks is less than ahead old? Not every dog is ready to be force fetched when the owner wants them to be.

A while back you were asking about gun shyness. Now you are asking about "chewing through a building". This new behavior is a sign that something bigger is wrong.

Here's my advice from a total amateur...

Get him out of a big outdoor kennel and put him in a smaller indoor crate. You can take the crate anywhere. Even to your dad's for FF training(which I think is a really bad idea at this point in time). There will be a transition period where he is going to hate the crate because it is new but eventually he will settle down and begin to assimilate. Once he's adjusted you can use the crate to your advantage in training. He will eventually take ownership of the crate and you will solve some behavioral problems naturally.

Now when he goes outside to a kennel you can take the crate throw it in the kennel and he has his place there In the kennel. His place. I don't know who came up with the idea but I have seen this work on dozens of dogs. It makes a huge difference when moving a dog from one environment to a completely different one.

Whether you take my advice or not I want to be clear that your Labrador is showing signs of a much bigger behavioral issue. Labradors may be "chewers" but the behavior banks is showing is not excessive chewing. It is something else.

This can lead to huge problems down the road if you don't take a step back and look at what you are doing incorrectly. I have made huge mistakes training my own dogs in the past. You have the chance to turn this around. You have to make that choice and take the first step or this is going to get a whole lot worse!
+1

Also, IMHO it sounds like the dog is spending too much time crated & not enough time out socializing, running/exercising, and generally doing stuff that will keep him occupied & engaged.

FWIW,

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Without seeing your dog, I wouldn't assume its a behavioral problem like others have said. Sounds normal for a lab.
Here's my issue with this comment.

You think this is normal? How many labs have you had that have been placed in an electrified kennel chew through a wall? As a former lab owner I speak first hand to the lost shoes, table & chair legs, kids toys, etc that my dogs plowed through in their adolescent years.

This is not a puppy chewing. Here's what the dog sees...

1- The dog was taken to a new place.
2- The dog was placed in a kennel he broke out of.
3- The kennel place was electrified to try and contain him.
4- The dog chews through fiberglass, 3/4 inches of plywood and 2x4's.

Sounds like adolescent puppy chewing to me...Not!

I reiterate from my earlier post... I would back off on this dog. Taking time to back the truck up will not ruin this dog. Forging ahead through behavioral issues will.

You're not trying to figure out if this is a problem and fix it. You're trying to find a better way to contain the animal. Look at it from the dog's eyes.

If you have a "professional trainer" recommending a bone then why are you here asking for alternative advice? My guess is that your gut is telling you something different. Go with your gut...

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:54 pm

will-kelly wrote:
Without seeing your dog, I wouldn't assume its a behavioral problem like others have said. Sounds normal for a lab.
Here's my issue with this comment.

You think this is normal? How many labs have you had that have been placed in an electrified kennel chew through a wall? As a former lab owner I speak first hand to the lost shoes, table & chair legs, kids toys, etc that my dogs plowed through in their adolescent years.

This is not a puppy chewing. Here's what the dog sees...

1- The dog was taken to a new place.
2- The dog was placed in a kennel he broke out of.
3- The kennel place was electrified to try and contain him.
4- The dog chews through fiberglass, 3/4 inches of plywood and 2x4's.

Sounds like adolescent puppy chewing to me...Not!

I reiterate from my earlier post... I would back off on this dog. Taking time to back the truck up will not ruin this dog. Forging ahead through behavioral issues will.

You're not trying to figure out if this is a problem and fix it. You're trying to find a better way to contain the animal. Look at it from the dog's eyes.

If you have a "professional trainer" recommending a bone then why are you here asking for alternative advice? My guess is that your gut is telling you something different. Go with your gut...
The problem with this comment is.... the dog is used to this kennel at my dads, he always spends the weekend there, and the electric is the same that we had at his kennel at my house.
he is improving greatly with ff, tonight he was holding with little, and no pressure or hands on his jaws.
My "professional trainer" has his opinion, so do i, so does my dad, and every single person on this forum.
I would like to get multiple opinions is my reason for asking this question.
I wanted people who have HAD THIS PROBLEM to comment saying what worked for them, or advice on what to do. Not for dog whisperers to tell me what im doing wrong.
I respect all of your opinions, but like i said i cant do them all
Thank you
Isaac and Banks

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I certainly wouldn't use a beef knuckle bone. I've seen too many dogs break a molar chewing on them.
How about a Kong with some peanut butter or some "treats" inside of it.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Doc E wrote:I certainly wouldn't use a beef knuckle bone. I've seen too many dogs break a molar chewing on them.
How about a Kong with some peanut butter or some "treats" inside of it.

+1 Bones are not as great for dogs as they're cracked up to be. :wink:

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 pm

[quote=

If you have a "professional trainer" recommending a bone then why are you here asking for alternative advice? My guess is that your gut is telling you something different. Go with your gut...[/quote]

Do you trust your trainer's advice?

Nate

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I trust my trainers advice 100%, he has seen the dog work, and has worked hundreds of dogs.
I am worried if i get him a kong he will chew it up into pieces and eat the rubber?
Isaac and Banks

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:I trust my trainers advice 100%,
Isaac and Banks

Then go ahead and trust your 'pro' and give your dog a bone..........
When he breaks a molar, don't come here asking why it happened.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:44 pm

JMO, after dealing with a few destructive dogs over the years, but that guy would be on a log chain with a barrel until he learns some settle. I have never had a dog break a healthy tooth on a bone, but have had them break teeth on chain link and other metal.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Glad to here he's improving on the force fetch...

I guess it wasn't such an urgent problem after all.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm

The chain gang would change this dog's perspecive, and the figure 8 would change his life.

www.huntsmith.com

Nate

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Doc E wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:I trust my trainers advice 100%,
Isaac and Banks

Then go ahead and trust your 'pro' and give your dog a bone..........
When he breaks a molar, don't come here asking why it happened.

If he breaks a molar chewing a large knuckle please let us know as I have never had or heard of that happening. It possibly could with a small one but haven't seen that either. I have had a couple break teeth chewing and pulling on wire or boards.

I do have a problem though when someone hires a professional whether it be a trainer or a vet or any other kind of a professional and then have them come on a board of this type and question what the professional told you. That just isn't kosher and sure doesn't make much sense. If I was that professional and knew you were doing that you wouldn't be my client any longer.

What is the purpose of hiring someone and then not do what he tells you?

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I sense the owner is as bored and destructive as his dog, posting seems to gain the OP attention, releaving both.

I forget how young the OP is, I need to be more understanding. Even though the dog and man are putting each other through heck, their mutual love will persevere.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Neil wrote:I sense the owner is as bored and destructive as his dog, posting seems to gain the OP attention, releaving both.

I forget how young the OP is, I need to be more understanding. Even though the dog and man are putting each other through heck, their mutual love will persevere.
Ah, I did not write heck, the word it replaced is not a cuss word, it is in the Bible..

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 am

ezzy333 wrote: If he breaks a molar chewing a large knuckle please let us know as I have never had or heard of that happening. It possibly could with a small one but haven't seen that either. I have had a couple break teeth chewing and pulling on wire or boards.

I do have a problem though when someone hires a professional whether it be a trainer or a vet or any other kind of a professional and then have them come on a board of this type and question what the professional told you. That just isn't kosher and sure doesn't make much sense. If I was that professional and knew you were doing that you wouldn't be my client any longer.

What is the purpose of hiring someone and then not do what he tells you?

Ezzy
This trainer is not being hired, but i believe he is offering help for multiple reasons:
I think he likes to see young people get into the hobby.
My father used to train/breed dogs with him for years in the past.

He is giving all the pigeons i need
as long as i throw birds for them, they will throw birds for me (you scratch my back ill scratch yours)

He is not hired, he is just helping with the kindness of his heart.
But however he does board, breed, and train dogs for a living.
These are words directly from his mouth
"Anyone can call themselves a trainer, because the definition of a trainer is someone who gets paid for what they do"
I'm not quite sure what the argument is now, if you think I'm doing it all wrong feel free to tell me, and if you think he will break a tooth on a bone let me know
I dont feel safe giving him a kong because of the risk (100% risk) of him chewing it up and swallowing all the rubber.

Isaac and Banks

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed May 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote: I dont feel safe giving him a kong because of the risk (100% risk) of him chewing it up and swallowing all the rubber.
That seems almost 100% unlikely to happen.

http://www.kongcompany.com/ click on the kong story.

I do agree with your "pro-trainer" on one thing: Anyone can be a "professional dog trainer", all you need is a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and a can of spray paint. Just make a sign that says, "DOG TRAINER" and set it at the end of the driveway. :(

Nate

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote: I dont feel safe giving him a kong because of the risk (100% risk) of him chewing it up and swallowing all the rubber.
That seems almost 100% unlikely to happen.

http://www.kongcompany.com/ click on the kong story.

I do agree with your "pro-trainer" on one thing: Anyone can be a "professional dog trainer", all you need is a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and a can of spray paint. Just make a sign that says, "DOG TRAINER" and set it at the end of the driveway. :(

Nate
Nate, it's not as far fetched as you think. My older GSP chewed the top off a Kong, no problem.

All they have to do is be able to get their mouth around it & they can chew it...

FWIW,

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 04, 2013 7:17 pm

They actually developed the blue Kongs to be seen in radiographs when a dog chewed them up and swallowed them.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sat May 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Today i got him a large calf bone. Clean boiled bone, smooth and its the only bones i feel safe giving him.
It is filled with lamb flavor or something, due to the price of the kong, and i figured he would find some way to chew it up.
He loves the bone and hasn't tried to chew anything up since we updated the kennel
Isaac and Banks