Recommendations?

FirearmFan

Recommendations?

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

Well the other day I received some bad news. As I've mentioned before, I have a deposit down on my first hunting dog, a male English Springer Spaniel. The breeder called the other day and told me that his bitch only had 3 puppies (3 females). All 3 females were already spoken for. So now I'm without a dog this spring. I'm super bummed out. I've been looking around for other breeders in the area (not specifically springer). I'm looking for recommendations on reputable breeders in either Wisconsin or Minnesota preferably within about 3 hour drive from Eau Claire, WI. I'm doing my research but thought I might find someone on here with actual experience with someone in the area.

The following are breeds I'm considering (although my wife is pretty partial to a springer because she had one when she was a kid). I hunt mostly pheasant, grouse, and waterfowl.

Springer
GSP
Vizsla
Brittany
Lab
Weimaraner
Also open to other suggestions.

Grange

Re: Recommendations?

Post by Grange » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Personally I think you first need to decide on a flusher or a pointer and then you can go and pick the breed of that type of hunting dog. I own one of each and prefer a pointing dog. You mentioned Eau Claire for centralized location. If you are considering a pointing dog you may want to check out an upcoming cover dog trial just east of Chippewa Falls in the Eau Claire County Forest. The trial was rescheduled to April 15, 16, (possibly) 17, 2013 due. You will see predominantely pointers and english setters, but I've seen red setters, GSPs, and brittanies in the past. I am hoping to attend if I can get my schedule to work and so if my father who raises brittanies. The trial grounds are off of Chaney Road about 20 minutes South of Stanley on HWY H.

For kennels within 3 hours of Eau Claire you may want to contact Berg Bros, which is not far from the Twin Cities. They are well known for setters. I've visited their kennel and talked with them multiple times. They are highly recommended. For brittanies I have to recommend my parents kennel JD's Hawks Brittanies, though they are near Green Bay, which is close to your 3 hour limit. They just had a litter but all pups are spoken for. They will be breeding one of their females (full sister to the one who just had puppies) and I believe there may be 3 pups reserved already. the female they plan on breeding next may be at the trial I mentioned above. I've also heard about Good Going Kennels in Baldwin, WI, but have no first hand experience with them. I don't know flushing breeders so someone else will have to help.

https://jdshawksbrittanies.com/
http://settersunlimited.com/kennel.aspx?a=1

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you for the info. I will look into your recommendations.

Unlike most people I don't have a strong preference between flushers or pointers. I think both have their benefits and I can see the beauty in both of them. Up until this point I've been retrieving my own ducks and finding, flushing, and retrieving my own grouse.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm

FirearmFan wrote:Thank you for the info. I will look into your recommendations.

Unlike most people I don't have a strong preference between flushers or pointers. I think both have their benefits and I can see the beauty in both of them. Up until this point I've been retrieving my own ducks and finding, flushing, and retrieving my own grouse.

Really what I should say is that I don't have enough experience hunting with either types that I am open to trying both out.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Personally i would get a lab, they dont get any more loving and caring
Isaac and Banks

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Personally i would get a lab, they dont get any more loving and caring
Isaac and Banks
You need to get yourself a spaniel then my friend hahaha

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm

GWP???

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

GSP Check with Grouse point Kennels in Rice lake. We also have a few litters on our website that get around the grouse woods well.
http://www.grousepointkennels.com
http://www.northwaters-gsps.com

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 pm

If you want a springer - be patient and wait for one. I hate to say that - but maybe you could foster a dog for a few months - maybe even one that would hunt. You're looking at a long-term commitment for a dog ... get the right one to start with! If you want the wife on your side with this whole dog deal - and she has a real preference for springers - then do your best to get one of those. It makes the home life a lot better when both adults are on the same page with the new addition.

I don't know springer breeders - but maybe you could find another one with pups on the ground or spring litters. Don't limit yourself to the 3 hour drive - you limit yourself pretty significantly if you're unwilling to travel or to just take the breeders' advice. Pups fly well when they're small!

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Well I'm back on board with a springer now. The same breeder is doing a second litter with his other female out of the same male. I will have to wait until late July now though but these dogs are coming out of good pedigrees and I trust this breeder. The other springer breeders I spoke to didn't impress me.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:Personally i would get a lab, they dont get any more loving and caring
Isaac and Banks
You need to get yourself a spaniel then my friend hahaha
I would politely and strongly disagree, opinions.
Isaac and Banks

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:38 am

Sorry to hear the first litter didn't pan out for you. Good luck with the second breeding! If you want to come out and see some coverdog trials, and have the time let me know, I am heading out to the trials north of Augusta on the 15-17.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

FirearmFan wrote:Well I'm back on board with a springer now. The same breeder is doing a second litter with his other female out of the same male. I will have to wait until late July now though but these dogs are coming out of good pedigrees and I trust this breeder. The other springer breeders I spoke to didn't impress me.
Good choice. You won't be disappointed.

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I would always recommend to go with the dog that first caught your eye. IF you think it would be cool to on a certian breed then you would probably be happy with that breed.