Pigeon grit

jeffkrop

Pigeon grit

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

pigeon grit what is it and do I need it?
This forum might be the most active forum for pigeons on the web. I think a link on the home page for birds would be good, put all the pigeon talk in one place. I could help keep that up if anyone on here know about that kind of thing.

Rustyoar

Re: Pigeon grit

Post by Rustyoar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 am

Yes it is a must, its pretty cheap my local feed store had it, its heavy. :)

Rustyoar

Post by Rustyoar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 am

I just put it in a microwave lasagna type pan for them to get at.

beretta303

Post by beretta303 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 am

if it gets wet from moist air, change it.
In an open air coop it will stay pretty dry. If your grit is always "wet" the next day after you put it in.. Your ventilation isn't right.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:10 am

I put mine in an MTY 3# plastic coffee can. Have three holes in the bottom half cut with a hole saw for them to get it. Got it from the feed store. If your birds spend time outside free flying, you won't need it. They get their own then.

jczv

Post by jczv » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 am

My understanding is if you just feed a processed food like game bird feed or chicken scratch you don't need it as it's used to breakdown seeds in their gut. You also don't need it if they are free flown regularly and have access to a gravel driveway or something similar. I generally buy the stuff that has some calcium in it to help in egg laying.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am

In the "hall of Fame" forum there are a couple of topics on pigeons
viewforum.php?f=100

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

High Voltage wrote:In the "hall of Fame" forum there are a couple of topics on pigeons
viewforum.php?f=100
Yep and they are the best on the web. Im home here in cold MN out on work comp with a messed up arm. I cant build a coop, cant hold a hammer or drill.
But I can read the web to find out how Im going to build one when Im fixed up. This site has the best pigeon info out there.
The hall of fame post are great along with all the others.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am

Couple other things my birds like is oyster shell and crushed chicken egg shells. Don't know that it's good bad or indifferent but they eat both better than the chickens do.

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm

jczv wrote:My understanding is if you just feed a processed food like game bird feed or chicken scratch you don't need it as it's used to breakdown seeds in their gut. You also don't need it if they are free flown regularly and have access to a gravel driveway or something similar. I generally buy the stuff that has some calcium in it to help in egg laying.
This is correct. I switched to a processed pellet and was told by the company that made it (Kent feed), that I didn't need grit. Grit is only needed to breakdown seeds.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Pigeon grit

Post by ACooper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 am

jczv wrote:My understanding is if you just feed a processed food like game bird feed or chicken scratch you don't need it as it's used to breakdown seeds in their gut. You also don't need it if they are free flown regularly and have access to a gravel driveway or something similar. I generally buy the stuff that has some calcium in it to help in egg laying.
If you mean actual chicken scratch as in scratch grains you will need grit, and probably won't have much luck with reproduction.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:37 am

I feed game bird breeders and layer pellets. is this ok or should I add grit? thx, SCK

beretta303

Post by beretta303 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 am

The above advice is correct.. If you're feeding pellets you do NOT need grit.
I feed malt barley cause it makes my birds fly like crazy so I have to supplement with grit.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:49 am

I feed layer pellets, and add my egg shells from the house.

beretta303

Post by beretta303 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 pm

IMO you should bake those egg shells in the oven for an hour or so at 350 to avoid salmonella trouble with your pigeons

Shagrunner

Post by Shagrunner » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm

I just let all my pigeons out every morning for some exercise and let them find what they need for themselves. I often see them in the nearby fields or along the sides of the roads getting all the grit they need. They've been around for a long time, so they must be getting what they need and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I actually work at a TSC part time while using my GI Bill, and I'm getting some pigeons to start in my coop this weekend. Could I just feed them Rumor layer pellet from work and that alone? Or will I have to mix in some oyster shell grit?

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:43 pm

I was using layer pellet and cracked corn with no grit up in tell a week ago and I have 4 eggs in my small coop.
I cant believe it as the nesting boxes are small and I had 20 birds in a my 4ft sq coop.

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Sounds good. That's about how big I'm going to build mine, I am going to pick up a breeding pair with two other birds for a total of 4 birds on Saturday and I'll build it and put them in there on Saturday. I've raised chickens and other poultry but never pigeons, although I can't imagine its too hard or much different. Hopefully the breeding pair will have some more babies and give me some more pigeons. I will also find some more in the area. But its a good start. The snow is FINALYY melting so I can start pigeon training soon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Feeding Layer Pellets will work but the cracked corm is not a good idea. If you want to feed corn feed it shelled. The birds do not need grit if you are just feeding pellets but it still a good way to provide some minerals and they do need some oyster shell if they are going to produce for you all year. The birds will have a smaller firmer dropping if fed grain so I have found it works pretty well to feed the pellets in the morning and give them a small amount of grain in the evening. Over all the birds need about 1 1/2 ounce a day and you need to figure in the squabs as soon as they hatch as the parentds will start consuming extra for them.

Ezzy

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 am

Then do you just mix the oyster shell grit into the pellets? Or set a separate container of just grit by their feed?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Derrick wrote:Then do you just mix the oyster shell grit into the pellets? Or set a separate container of just grit by their feed?
I mix the oyster shell and grit and feed them in a separate feeder. Mix somewhere near two or three parts grit to I part oyster shell.

Ezzy

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm

the cracked corm is not a good idea
Why? We always grounded the corn then fed it to them. All did well on it with oyster shell added. I feed this to my chickens been getting 16 to 18 eggs a day out of 15 birds....the quail lived on it for 3 months then I shot em...were fat and flyers. Am I missing something?

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm

As I understand, sharp grains can cause trouble in the crops of chicks. though I don't know if there is a nutrition reason as well.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

I've had homers for about 7 years now. Several of the birds I've had for 5, and they are the only birds I've bought since.

I've never heard of "pigeon grit" until now. I feed scratch grain and sunflowers. The floor of my coop and flight pen is covered every 6 months or so with a couple of inches of sandy gravel, which makes cleaning easy. I've never used oyster shells either.

One good tip: Pigeons love weeds like cochia and clover. This readily available supplement can cut your feed bill in half during the summer months.

Nate

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I've never heard of "pigeon grit" until now.
couple of inches of sandy gravel,

Nate
This is the reason you haven't needed grit, I assume you probably fly your birds as well? They will pick up much of what they need.
Also because you haven't needed it does not mean it isn't beneficial.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 pm

sh0rthair wrote:
This is correct. I switched to a processed pellet and was told by the company that made it (Kent feed), that I didn't need grit. Grit is only needed to breakdown seeds.

That is absolutely correct. All the nutrients are in the pellet.

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm

aulrich wrote:As I understand, sharp grains can cause trouble in the crops of chicks. though I don't know if there is a nutrition reason as well.
Its mainly the sharp edges make them hard to digest.
And this has been told to me by several different successful racers. Ezzy's post was spot on. I buy a grit for racers, has several types of minerals along with the grit. It has a distinct licorice smell to it and the pigeons love it.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 am

V-John wrote:
aulrich wrote:As I understand, sharp grains can cause trouble in the crops of chicks. though I don't know if there is a nutrition reason as well.
And this has been told to me by several different successful racers. Ezzy's post was spot on. I buy a grit for racers, has several types of minerals along with the grit. It has a distinct licorice smell to it and the pigeons love it.
Where do you get this grit. I got some from a feed store little little peaces almost like floor dry might be for checkens.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 am

Any grit will work for your pigeons, chickens and whatever. The grit V-John is talking about is formulated with additives that help our racing birds hopefully.

Ezzy

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 am

jeffkrop wrote:
V-John wrote:
Where do you get this grit. I got some from a feed store little little peaces almost like floor dry might be for checkens.
I should rephrase this. It's a grit designed for pigeons. All of the racing guys around here use it. We have a guy in the club that mixes his own feed and sells the grit. So we get it from him.

http://www.agricarenutrition.com/index. ... /prd50.htm

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 am

I think my feed store calls that chicken grit, it's red, other stores may call it mineral grit but I think it is only trace minerals and it's not a replacement for oyster shell. But I just have plain #2 Grit.

On a side note #2 grit is great traction grit for icy driveways it's way better than plain sand

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 am

aulrich wrote:I think my feed store calls that chicken grit, it's red, other stores may call it mineral grit but I think it is only trace minerals and it's not a replacement for oyster shell. But I just have plain #2 Grit.

On a side note #2 grit is great traction grit for icy driveways it's way better than plain sand
This is what I have. Had to buy a 50lb bag but it was only $8 so that fine.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 am

I feed purina pigeon checkers and no grit. But then they get free flight so they may get it on their own.