pigeon watering

ibbowhunting

pigeon watering

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 am

will pigeons drink out of a nipple type watering system, right now to have a trough type water jug and they make a mess of that, does anyone use or have picture of a nipple type watering jug they use for pigeons . i have to set it on a plate style heater to keep it from freezeing

marysburg

Re: pigeon watering

Post by marysburg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 am

They will drink from a nipple system, but if you watch them, they like to drink differently than most birds. They don't fill their beak with water, then tip their heads back to let the water run down their throats; instead, they bury their beaks in the water and draw the water contiuously into their beaks while swallowing, as we would drink with a straw.

Cold temperatures will freeze the nipple, even with the reservoir on a heating pad. In cold weather, I water my homers once a day using a stainless steel "spaniel" style dog bowl. The round style with the wider base and shallow bowl area with no corners. When you tip it upside down and give it a tap against something solid, the ice just falls out neat as a pin. That is the setup which was recommended to me when I first got my homers from a racing pigeon guy, and it works slick. I also give them warm water to drink in the winter because they really tank up and they will shiver if the water is cold.

By the way,no spring here yet, the temp was -29 with the wind chill here yesterday morning, but today the wind has let up. Good luck with your birds, they will do fine with unlimited food and warm water once a day in the winter.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 am

I just use the 1 1/2 gal plastic waterer that you fill and turn upside down, build up a wood stand to keep it above a 40 watt light bulb. This keeps it from freezing all winter long. I live where, NO MAN SHOULD HAVE GONE BEFORE! Also!!! ROD

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am

well we live in the ice box of the nation and if it wasnt for ice fishing and snowmobiling i think i would move, but we don't have poisonous snakes or spiders i'm unsure its worth the trade

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 am

I put a wood stand under mine with a 25 watt bulb under it, keeps it thawed to just under 20*. If it were colder here I'd go up in watt's for the light. I have tot bulb inside a tin coffee can, didn't want water slopped and landing on the bulb below or shorting out my power. I've also found that 1.4 gal chlorox jugs with holes cut in them don't get cr*p in them like the poultry feeders. Of course the height of the holes also determine how much water you can put in it. I though about nipples but not for long. I have a frost free hydrant out back that leaks a bit and from the leak, it freezes up every time it freeze's.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I use a rabbit waterer. They stick their whole beak inside and drink. I just bought one that converts any 2 liter bottle to a waterer so I don't have to fill as often.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I cut a 1 1/2in x 3in slot out of the top of a 5gal bucket & set it upside down over a poultry water. The birds can only stick their heads in to water & water stays clean.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 am

We really are an interesting and clever group of people on this forum. I just love the sharing of info, and seeing how others deal with little problems associated with keeping birds and bird dogs. Thanks all.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

I used plastic ice cube trays, fill them in the morning with warm water before I went to work. When I would get home just pop out any ice/poo and refill them for feeding time. An old pigeon racer told me they only need water once a day, whatever they could drink in 10-15 min, but I felt bad for them :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm

In the winter if you don't have a way of keeping the waterer thawed I would suggest you water when you feed and then dump the water 20 or 30 mins afterwards before it freezes. They will do ok if you do this once a day but I like to feed twice a day in the winter and if you water at the same time and then dump it the birds will do fine.

Ezzy

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 pm

I have 2 waterers that I rotate. I put out fresh water in the morning and take the other one inside to thaw. Then fill it up in the evening and switch with the one I put out in the morning. I dont have 20-30 mins a day to wait for my birds to drink.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

ROTTnBRITT wrote:I have 2 waterers that I rotate. I put out fresh water in the morning and take the other one inside to thaw. Then fill it up in the evening and switch with the one I put out in the morning. I dont have 20-30 mins a day to wait for my birds to drink.
I didn't say you had to stand and watch them though it is a great time to clean and observe the birds to insure they are all feeling good and healthy.

Ezzy

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ROTTnBRITT wrote:I have 2 waterers that I rotate. I put out fresh water in the morning and take the other one inside to thaw. Then fill it up in the evening and switch with the one I put out in the morning. I dont have 20-30 mins a day to wait for my birds to drink.
I didn't say you had to stand and watch them though it is a great time to clean and observe the birds to insure they are all feeling good and healthy.

Ezzy
Haha. I know. Just messing with ya. Good point though.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I am lazy and travel a lot, so I use one of the five gallon double-walled poultry founts. I wrap plumbing heating cord around the fount, the last foot or so sits in the water tray at the bottom. Never seen it freeze solid. I keep it clean by putting a cone of chicken wire on top so the birds can't land on it. It's also on about a 3" platform to keep them from kicking a lot of stuff into it.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 am

tn red wrote:I cut a 1 1/2in x 3in slot out of the top of a 5gal bucket & set it upside down over a poultry water. The birds can only stick their heads in to water & water stays clean.
Good idea.....thanks