Panama City, Florida

rinker

Panama City, Florida

Post by rinker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 am

I am going to be drug, kicking and screaming, to Panama City, Florida, in a couple of weeks for spring break. I would rather take a beating than lay on a beach. Can any one give me any suggestions for things to do or see while I am there. It would be great if it were bird dog related, shooting related, horse related, general out door stuff related. My goal is to leave my family roasting on that "bleep" beach while I go do something else that I might enjoy.

Tyler S

Re: Panama City, Florida

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

:mrgreen: I feel ya brother! I live just a little over an hour north of Gulf Shores,Al I hate going down there unless its to fish. If you like to fish there are plenty of places to go. Stay away from the charter boats, most that do day trips are just a trap. You may want to check out Po Boys gun shop in Defuniak springs. It's one of the largest gun shops in the panhandle. Iam sure there are some guys on here who are closer than me that may can get you on some sporting clays or something.

Next year talk them into going to Gulf Shores, bring your horse trailer and dogs, drop them off and head 70 miles north.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Saltwater flyfishing has completely change the way I see beach vacations. If you are into flyfishing, I'd call up these guys and see if they have any advice. Or hire they to guide you if you have the cash!

http://www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com/

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Once you said family you took all the ideas I had right out of mind, LOL. My college son is down there right now on spring break.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Hunt's Oyster Bar....in an old gas station and is great food! Sorry about anything other than eating as I love laying on the beach and reading! Schooners is another fun bar on the beach and they have a mini cannon they set off at sunset...kids will get a kick out it.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Nothing bird dog related, and right now the fish aren't biting. The whole town revolves around beach tourism, and spring break is nuts. Kicking back on the beach is about the only thing to do, lots of good eating places but they will be packed.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

nikegundog wrote:and right now the fish aren't biting.
Inshore is still going strong(redfish,speckled trout,& flounder)along the north coast. Sheepshead , Spanish mackerel,and pompano are starting to move in. The Cobia run will start in a couple of weeks. There IS plenty of fishing opportunities right now. Even the public piers are taking some good fish. White trout, redfish , ground mullet,flounder,etc. I'll be getting after them myself in a couple of weeks.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Tyler S wrote:
nikegundog wrote:and right now the fish aren't biting.
Inshore is still going strong(redfish,speckled trout,& flounder)along the north coast. Sheepshead , Spanish mackerel,and pompano are starting to move in. The Cobia run will start in a couple of weeks. There IS plenty of fishing opportunities right now. Even the public piers are taking some good fish. White trout, redfish , ground mullet,flounder,etc. I'll be getting after them myself in a couple of weeks.
My father lives a couple blocks from pier park, and when I talked to him last night he told me that nothing was being caught off the piers and fishing boats have been non-existent and the past two months, maybe he doesn't want any visitors. :D

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Maybe so! :D my office is on Dauphin island parkway. All the guys I know have been running east for bullreds and the specks have shifted since all the rain the last couple of weeks. A few of the guides I know have been hitting the Spanish and sheepshead from al point to pc..... Of course you know how fisherman lie :mrgreen:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Tyler S wrote:Maybe so! :D my office is on Dauphin island parkway. All the guys I know have been running east for bullreds and the specks have shifted since all the rain the last couple of weeks. A few of the guides I know have been hitting the Spanish and sheepshead from al point to pc..... Of course you know how fisherman lie :mrgreen:
Tyler, could you recommend a guide that won't break the bank? I might be down there around Christmas next year.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 am

Pm sent

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 am

Can you pm me the guide info also, please.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Me three! Thanks!

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

rinker, man I with you. I have went to several beach resorts, Hawaii, Florida, Cancun, Bahamas
all more than once. I also have done two cruises.

A few years I told mu wife we need to do something else. I am fed up with lying around on a beach
and calling it vacation. I want to go to the mountains. Hiking, camping, maybe even bird hunting
blue grouse, etc. in Co. or Idaho. I have done this sort of hunting, but she was not on those trips.
So I have asked her to go someplace like this. She does not hunt, but she could do the shopping stuff
while I hunt in the mornings, we could work it out, but she refused to go.

We have not vacationed together for 6-7 years. We have visited my daughter and her family in (on)
Long Island, NY. I love seeing them, but I hate NY. She just came back from another trip to NY. I have
been to SD to phez hunt three years in a row now. I guess we are not going to be doing much vacationing
in the traditional manner any longer. But the up side is, my hunting and her (our) trips to NY don't cost
as much as the beach resort/cruise type vacations, so I can hunt more. I am going to try two trips to SD
this year. Works for me.

Mike