launcher question

cheetome

launcher question

Post by cheetome » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm

I am looking to buy 2-3 launchers and can't decide if I should spend a few extra dollars and get the dt bl509's or go with the lcs launchers(i see gundog supply also carries the same ones) i think these are the innotec with a new name and I have read and heard bad things about innotec. i have seen a few lcs in the field last fall but they were brand new and only used 10 to 20 times so I don't know how they will hold up in the long run. I like dt's back loading door and locate beeper. Anyone have experience with either of these units. I did just read somewhere that the dt's were louder than the lcs launchers????? thanks for any info.

ibbowhunting

Re: launcher question

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

i have two 509s i find it easyer to load the bird in the launcher then using the door just my opinion, maybe if you are using quail the door might work better.over all the 509s have worked good for me

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I can only speak of the DT launchers. I would have no problem recommending them.

I have had mine for several years and haven't had any problems with them. The loading door and beeper locator are nice features. You can program 16 of them to your remote. I don't know if they are louder than others, but I am aware of guys changing the springs on their launchers to quiet them. One of mine is an older model that requires a magnet to turn on and off. The newer models have a power button which is a much better feature.

The only negative I can speak of is battery life. Even quality batteries do not seem to last real long. Again, I can't compare to other models, however.
Last edited by madmurph on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I have been very unsatisified with the 2 DT's I bought. The beeper quit working within 1 month. They also both tend to stick and don't release right away or sometimes not at all. One of their reps told me this is a common problem. I would try something else. I have 2 B&B types that are over 20 y/o and still work great- I don't believe anyone makes them anymore, but if you could find them, they've been the best I've used.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

I've got two LCS traps. One for about 5 yrs and got another last year. No problems. I think your right that they are the old Inoteck. Never used one of them.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

I bought a pair of Dogtra launchers about fifteen years ago. I have had to replace their batteries when they would not hold a charge any longer, but that has been it.

They have been very durable and Incredibly reliable. About the only times the launchers did not fire was when I forgot to turn them on.

I understand that the old Dogtra launchers will not work with their new system. I wanted to add a third launcher a few months ago and was told that was not possible.

I had a pair of Innoteks to start out with. I darn near ruined a dog because of their unreliability. If the LCS units are the same as the old Innoteks, I wouldn't take them for free.

RayG

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

LCS is the Innotek product rebranded. Dogtrra is the way to go if you want a great product that will last for years with no issues. Really the question is do you want to pay now or later?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I've got a 509 and it works good. Only problem is, I have to take the battery out of the launcher when I'm done for the day or the battery in the launcher will be dead the next time I go to use it. I haven't used a lcs launcher so I can compare them.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

launcher question

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I've heard Dogtra is the best, I have several Dt's and have no complaints.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 pm

I have 2 one manual & one battery cheaper mods from Lions country supply both work great after several years ,but I use a weighted plastic basket more than any thing with a long string . That way I can raise it slow The pigion walks out some times stands for a little bit . Making my llewellins wait tell after the flush . works great shuch a trial on the dog who wonts to jump in after a walking bird . Plus with a larger basket you can put 3 to 6 birds under it making it more like a covey of birds & if you use quail then hunt the singles or with the pigions makes a dog get use to more than one bird at a time

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 pm

I have always had DT and i really like them.. The.release quick and throw the.bird up moce.. I have seen dogtra a few times and thought.they.were sliggish and did.pop the.bird.well however.i.do beleive that can be adjusted.. I have not personally owned on..

jczv

Post by jczv » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 pm

I've posted variations on this a few times before so I'll be brief. I've had dt launchers about 6 years and gradually become disenchanted with them. The launchers themselves are fine but the electronics is cheaply made and seems to have more problems over time. My first transmitter the buttons literally wore off, the second died last fall after two years. The receivers sometimes don't shut off, sometimes don't reset properly (so don't launch), don't work properly in the cold, and the wires and control arm are exposed and easy to get caught and strip the servo gears. Most of the issues appear related to barely enough power to launch properly. Although more expensive the solenoid based trigger mechanism of the tritronics and dogtra launcher electronics seems a superior design to the servo based dt receiver, not to mention the dogtra/tritonic transmitters don't look like they would be part of a $10 toy. My current plan is to eventually replace the dt electronics with dogtra or tritonics gear.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 am

I have 3 dt's and none of them work at present time. i am going to ship them back and have them repaired simply because i don't have the $ to buy new ones. I have heard great things about the Dogtra launchers and when I do replace mine that is what I'll be going with.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 am

ACooper wrote:I've heard Dogtra is the best, I have several Dt's and have no complaints.
+1 on the Dogtra's, I've got six of them and they've worked flawlessly. Also, I'm able to use the receivers on my wingers and the duck sound is handy when introducing/expanding the duck search.

cr

yogi

Post by yogi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 am

I have the LCS launcher and I ran it over with my quad. Bent the heck out of it. I straightened it out the best I could and it still works. Just make sure you have good batteries in it and the remote. Im definately going to get more from LCS

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 am

+2 for dogtra. We've had 5 dogtra launchers 10 yrs. Once in a while we to clean the wire connections since we use them as floaters to work on duck searches

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

Ms. Cage wrote:+2 for dogtra. We've had 5 dogtra launchers 10 yrs. Once in a while we to clean the wire connections since we use them as floaters to work on duck searches
I would LOVE to see a pic of the floater set up.

Sorry for the thread hijack :oops:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 am

On topic I have 3 ooooollldd innotek launchers that still work but the boxes and fabric have been repaire and the transmitter replaced (free... because the guy said it was to old to sell but they had a few left!) Still going.

DT: quality box, junky remote, inconsistant with battery.

DOGTRA: bought 3 used older style. Love them so far. Recharable and battery lasts for a good while. Several days of use. They are smaller and fat pigeons fit but barely. Also the old ones do not have the duck sound which is disappointing to me.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 am

+++for Dogtra launchers

seadog

Post by seadog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Have 6 Dogtra ( 3 quail , 3 pheasant ) . When not inuse I release the spring tension to keep the springs from stretching out . Cordless drill works great .

cheetome

Post by cheetome » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:45 pm

I would like to see the floater setup myself :lol:

V-John

Post by V-John » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Not a fan of dt, but w are suck with them

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 am

Dogtra is pretty nice I used them years ago and they were tough. I am getting a new launcher but I already have Tri- Tronics electronics so I am getting the Launchers from gundog supply and the conversion kit to hook to the manual launcher so I can use Tri- Tronics electronics. If I was going to do it all over again and I would get Dogtra. I started using Dogtra collars and they have been better than Tri Tronics and I use to be a die hard Tri tronics guy.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:59 pm

The floater Made of 2 pieces of blue styrofoam insulation, styrofaom glue, and camo duck tape. Styrofoam is 2" thick, 24" x 30".
DSCF2618 (640x360).jpg
DSCF2619 (640x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks!