New Guy - Help Pick My Pup!

BoonDock

New Guy - Help Pick My Pup!

Post by BoonDock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

Hello all,

I am new to the gundog world and came here seeking advice. I grew up hunting preserve birds over the backs of some great German Shorthairs that a family friend owned. I never had any experience training them, but I sure loved hunting with them. Well, I moved off to college and haven't experienced the fun of that style hunting in years. Long story short, my GSP was born last week and I get to go pick him out (1st pick of 6 males) next weekend. What should I be looking for in a pup this age? I live on a 600 acre farm and the pup will have plenty of room to run and work. I plan to train him using the "Perfect Start / Perfect Finish" method. I am also looking for a used copy of the DVD series! I plan to work with him daily and have access to birds through a local outfitter. What should I be looking for?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: New Guy - Help Pick My Pup!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 pm

I would ask the Breeder to help you pick after all they have raised the pups and should have a some idea of which pups are more respective of their place in the pack versus the one always trying to be top dog.
Starting out you do not want an alpha type dog...they are a challenge and will always be more apt to test you as to who is the leader of the pack. this isn't something that can always be seen when you come look at a litter for maybe an hour.
Good Luck

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I would ask the Breeder to help you pick after all they have raised the pups and should have a some idea of which pups are more respective of their place in the pack versus the one always trying to be top dog.
Starting out you do not want an alpha type dog...they are a challenge and will always be more apt to test you as to who is the leader of the pack. this isn't something that can always be seen when you come look at a litter for maybe an hour.
Good Luck
Great advice.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

BoonDock wrote:...my GSP was born last week and I get to go pick him out (1st pick of 6 males) next weekend.
You're picking at two weeks old? Why do you have to choose so early? I would guess at two weeks it's a total crapshoot.

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 am

mtlhdr wrote:
BoonDock wrote:...my GSP was born last week and I get to go pick him out (1st pick of 6 males) next weekend.
You're picking at two weeks old? Why do you have to choose so early? I would guess at two weeks it's a total crapshoot.
At six weeks it's a crapshoot, at two weeks you might as well save the gas money and pick based on picture showing color/markings.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 am

at 2 weeks to pick pup. i would pick pup one with best conformation color.one that looks like breed the most on markings.
some of older timers i knew would pick pup that had biggest head.more brains.i seen pups with bigheads vrs other pups.
top grouse dog hunter i knew always picked pup with bighead. he swore by that.
even at 7 weeks its very hard.pups have good/bad days.

me,i would pick color of pup at that age.i picked color/marking of my litter pup also and he turned out so far to be good hunting dog and in house dog.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 pm

mtlhdr wrote:
If you are forced to pick at 2 weeks old, you might as well get the one that looks the prettiest to you(since you are going to look at it the next 12 years). At two weeks, their eyes have just opened(10 days usually) and they are just barely standing. It's too early to try and test for nose, hunting instincts, dominance, etc. If they come out of good hunting parents you should be able to get a good hunting puppy, but it is way to early to see independence, reteiving, personality etc at this early age. (IMO) The good news is you have 6 males to pick from :D Enjoy your new pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I would ask the Breeder to help you pick after all they have raised the pups and should have a some idea of which pups are more respective of their place in the pack versus the one always trying to be top dog.
Good Luck
Excellent advice.
Let the breeder pick at 7 weeks. Tell him/her you don't want the most dominant pup nor a shy pup.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Sharon wrote:
Good Luck
Excellent advice.
Let the breeder pick at 7 weeks. Tell him/her you don't want the most dominant pup nor a shy pup.
I agree this is excellent advise, but according to his post, he is supposed to pick his pup at 2 weeks of age, and at 2 weeks of age the breeder doesn't know much about the pups either.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 pm

deseeker wrote:
Sharon wrote:
Good Luck
Excellent advice.
I agree this is excellent advise, but according to his post, he is supposed to pick his pup at 2 weeks of age, and at 2 weeks of age the breeder doesn't know much about the pups either.
This is true ..all you will see at 2 weeks is some leeches with legs ..nothing but markings to go off of...
Good Luck hope you get one that is suitable for your family if nothing else you will have the best marked one in Your eyes

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm

deseeker wrote:
Sharon wrote:
Good Luck
Excellent advice.

I wouldn't be dealing with a breeder who wants me to pick my pup at 2 or3 or 4 weeks of age. jmo
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm

If you have the pick of the litter i would visit as much as you can and pick the day of pick up at 7 or 8 wks. If the guy wants you to pick at 2wks old go somewheres else its not right.. I had a guy try to do me like that, it didnt feel right to me so i went else were. It was the best thing i did. When i have a litter people can visit the pups after 5wks. Come pick up time they come in order from first pick to last they decide that day no questions asked in that order

BoonDock

Post by BoonDock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for all the great advice! I messed up the timeline in my initial post, the pups are three weeks old today, March 1st. I am going tomorrow to pick because I don't want to give up my place in line. If I choose to defer to picking later, it gives the other reserved buyers a chance to pick over me. I will be able to pick up the pup in three more weeks. All of the pups are marked beautifully.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Even at 3 or 4 weeks you will see little difference in a short visit.
If the breeding is from proven lines, you have seen the parents work, and are happy with them:
I like a forward mover, a pup that that is inquisitive, etc.
Otherwise, find the one you have a connection to and like the looks of.
If the parent and lines are good, you should have a good prospect anyway.

Usually first pick means first pick as long as it is made by 6 or 7 weeks.

The pups I have bought site unseen, (the last four) I told the breeder what I did and did not want out of a hunting dog and what i liked seeing in the pups. They picked the pups and I got them. All turned out pretty good.

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm

If it was me I would pick a female. Don

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 pm

BoonDock wrote:Thanks for all the great advice! I messed up the timeline in my initial post, the pups are three weeks old today, March 1st. I am going tomorrow to pick because I don't want to give up my place in line. If I choose to defer to picking later, it gives the other reserved buyers a chance to pick over me. I will be able to pick up the pup in three more weeks. All of the pups are marked beautifully.

pick pup with biggest head....

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Duckdon wrote:If it was me I would pick a female. Don
I'm the opposite. :D