SHADOW OAK BO IS 2013 NATIONAL CHAMPION

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: SHADOW OAK BO IS 2013 NATIONAL CHAMPION

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:49 am

I am pretty stoked that a shag won, just goes to show that a good run from something besides a pointer can win!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 am

He is a powerful looking dog. Just have to hope this leads to more breeds taking a shot at it.

Ezzy

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:He is a powerful looking dog. Just have to hope this leads to more breeds taking a shot at it.

Ezzy
And what breeds would that be. I sure can't think of other breeds other than a ES and EP that could run the 3 hour race.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Willie Hunter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:He is a powerful looking dog. Just have to hope this leads to more breeds taking a shot at it.

Ezzy
And what breeds would that be. I sure can't think of other breeds other than a ES and EP that could run the 3 hour race.
How many other breeds do you think have qualified?

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Willie Hunter wrote:

Ezzy
I have no idea. How many breeds have actually ran @ Ames?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Willie Hunter wrote:

Ezzy
None.

hill

Post by hill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Congrats to Bo and everyone involved in his success. I think it's great that a setter won, it keeps things interesting.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:53 pm

And what breeds would that be. I sure can't think of other breeds other than a ES and EP that could run the 3 hour race.[/quote]
How many other breeds do you think have qualified?[/quote]
None.[/quote]

Correct as far as I know. Maybe Captain Ezzy knows more?

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Willie Hunter wrote:And what breeds would that be. I sure can't think of other breeds other than a ES and EP that could run the 3 hour race.
How many other breeds do you think have qualified?[/quote]
None.[/quote]

Correct as far as I know. Maybe Captain Ezzy knows more?[/quote]

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm

What is the world coming to?

A setter wins Ames

A woman wins the pole at Daytona

Oh Lord help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.... I'm freakin' kidding... Please don't hurt me

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 pm

CHJIII wrote:What is the world coming to?

A setter wins Ames

A woman wins the pole at Daytona

Oh Lord help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.... I'm freakin' kidding... Please don't hurt me
Climate change.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Wildweeds wrote:I think it will be more like 1500 for a breeding and 1000 dollar pups from a specific kennel.Lets just hope he produces better than the last national champion,Johnny Crockett SUCKED in production of winners numbers,he got the hall of fame because ALMOST everyone that had ever seen him was dead and the stories were spun into legend with the "Told two freinds,and they told two freinds".Production record of 34 winners sired if I remember right.I had papers on a dog I got rid of sired by CH Tommy B that had his numbers,I gave them the papers and the dog.

Robertsons kennels have pups on the way from Shadow oak Bo advertised for 1000 bucks from a sunrise daughter.Whole lot of potential dogpower for 1000 bucks.Which is a way better chance than what most that will bring one to breed for the pup money IMO.
Ernie - there are two reasons why Johnny Crockett did not produce a lot of winners;

1. He was small for a male setter - just 34 lbs. A lot of people did not want to breed to a "runt". They should have, as JC had endless bottom.

2. JC died just two years after he won the NC. That's a pretty short window.

Not everybody that saw JC is dead. Quite a few are alive and kickin', including his trainer/handler, W. C. Kirk, who now resides in Texas.

There is a long list of AA and SD setters descending from Johnny Crockett - including all of my current dogs - all of which have open SD or AA placements. Post up if you want me to post a partial list.

Bo is a "bleep" fine dog, but it remains to be seen if he can produce. His pedigree is a patchwork - GR, Smith, a little Sunrise, etc. Any breeding, regardless of the bitch they put him to, is going to look like an outcross. So I expect that most pups will be widely variable, but I do hope that they find one or two nicks that will breed on as Sunrise did. The gene pool could use it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 am

Just heard that they are not retiring Bo to stud, he is entered in the Southeastern Ch. And is in contention for DoY. Go Bo!

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 am

Neil wrote:Just heard that they are not retiring Bo to stud, he is entered in the Southeastern Ch. And is in contention for DoY. Go Bo!
Good for them. The only thing harder than winning it once...is winning it twice.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Early on there were Irish and Gordon setters that ran in the National Championship. The great Joe Jr was a cross, but the Irish claim him.

It is hard to believe now, but there use to be a pointer only class so they had a chance. The setters were that good.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 pm

What happened to the setter lines that made them not as competitive? I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering why, (even though Bo won it this year), aren't there more setters winning?? I have pointers, but i like setters. If a setter was my first exposure to bird dogs instead of pointers, it's probably what I would have.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I 5think the pointers got better rather than the setter getting worse.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 am

ezzy333 wrote:I 5think the pointers got better rather than the setter getting worse.
History supports that position, both breeds improved, the pointers at a faster rate.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 am

I think pointer's mature faster. Not a lot of guy's willing to wait on a setter when a pointer is ready the day it's born. If you look back, most the dogs entered in the Nat Ch are pointer's. We could say a lot more pointer's lose the Nat Ch than setter's. What if the field were evenly split by breeds? All the dog's in it have the ability to win but only one does. I doubt anything other than setter's and pointer's will ever again run in the Nat Ch. I believe a shorthair could be conditioned to do it but it has a short tail and I think they don't want to see that. Good as they can be I don't see one ever getting there. The pace is awfully demanding but I doubt that the dogs run flat out all the time, regardless of what anyone say's. What I believe they do, and I have watched it ib AKC trials is learn to use a pace they can maintain for the whole time on the ground. I recall listening to Richy Robertson talking about Sunrise and what they did to get him ready. They put him down for four hours at a time. makes sense to me. The dog learns to run four hours and three is a whole lot easier. A lot of dog's could be conditioned to go three hrs non stop. The problem is they don't have enough desire to drive them that hard, they let down when they shouldn't and get left behind.