GSP v. Lab

RichK

GSP v. Lab

Post by RichK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Any pros/cons to the GSP v. Lab debate?

Stoneface

Re: GSP v. Lab

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Have you had experience with either breed or type of dog? For me, I've known some Labs that I'd consider a great dog, but they just don't push my buttons. Nothing wrong with that, just preference. I went to a retriever test once and the guy there told me once I get a taste of the retrievers I'll never go back to pointers. Well, after a few tests I can honestly say retrievers get me as revved up as the idea as having cardboard for supper. The guy I talked to gets the same rev from pointing dogs. Pointing dogs get me all gitty and send me to smiles, just ear-to-ear. I can watch a Lab do a 400-yard blind retrieve and it just doesn't do much for me, but watch a young dog lock up in front, flip over himself and come into a slam point and I'm completely covered with goosebumps.

What I'm saying is, go with the breed that revs your engine more. You hunt three months a year, you live with the dog for twelve. Remember, it's not about finding the bree that is perfect, but the breed that is perfect for you.

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

I've been around both breeds but never owned either. I'm really leaning towards a GSP but just want to make sure I won't regret not getting a lab.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Two totally different breeds
If you have little experience training , get a lab.

More discussion that may help you make a decision:

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... Jwn7OnzPqs

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Where do you live and what do you plan to do with the dog. Other than specific breed experience, any experience training dogs at all. What is your family structure? How much time are you willing to give the dog. Many many questions need to be asked before you get your flood of different responses from these guys.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm

What do you plan to hunt mainly? Do you have a family, with kids? How much time can you dedicate to training? Where do you live, and where will the dog be, in or outside?

Corry

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 am

Stoneface wrote: What I'm saying is, go with the breed that revs your engine more. You hunt three months a year, you live with the dog for twelve. Remember, it's not about finding the bree that is perfect, but the breed that is perfect for you.
I agree. Get the dog that best suites YOU!
Jrclmn18 wrote:Where do you live and what do you plan to do with the dog. Other than specific breed experience, any experience training dogs at all. What is your family structure? How much time are you willing to give the dog. Many many questions need to be asked before you get your flood of different responses from these guys.
Answer these questions and you'll probably get a lot more help.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 am

Jrclmn18 wrote:Where do you live and what do you plan to do with the dog. Other than specific breed experience, any experience training dogs at all. What is your family structure? How much time are you willing to give the dog. Many many questions need to be asked before you get your flood of different responses from these guys.
I live in NY but will most likely be moving in the next 2-3 months.

Family structure is just me, with plenty of time to spend to teach/train the dog.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 am

Ghosted3 wrote:What do you plan to hunt mainly? Do you have a family, with kids? How much time can you dedicate to training? Where do you live, and where will the dog be, in or outside?

Corry
Most hunting will be upland, maybe ducks occasionally. Dog will be inside.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 am

I own both and there is really no way to compare them from the outside looking in. They are so different. Do you want a pointing dog? Flushing dog? a dog that will run 100-200yds, or 20yds? do you want a dog that sheds little fine hairs or one that will leave tumble weeds in your house?

The GSP will likely need more exercise. The lab will probly be more calm in the house. (neither is a guarantee)

You really need to find some folks who have each dog and spend some time with them both at home and in the field and see which suits you better.

Jim

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

Have you considered a Pointing Lab ?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 am

Depending on where you are from:
Cold climate or hot:
The GSP will work very well for what your intent is. They duck hunt down into 30's, Some colder, just need to keep them out of the wind and not sitting in the water for the hunt.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:10 am

Dog will be inside.
This here says GSP. I've owned both breeds but need more info. What Upland Chickens do you plan on pursue'n?

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:I own both and there is really no way to compare them from the outside looking in. They are so different. Do you want a pointing dog? Flushing dog? a dog that will run 100-200yds, or 20yds? do you want a dog that sheds little fine hairs or one that will leave tumble weeds in your house?

The GSP will likely need more exercise. The lab will probly be more calm in the house. (neither is a guarantee)

You really need to find some folks who have each dog and spend some time with them both at home and in the field and see which suits you better.

Jim
I am with Jim on this one. I have a lab and a Drahthaar. They are a world apart, both good. I am more intretested in versatile style hunting I will likely replace the lab with another DD when she is gone. Went with the DD cause I live in Alaska but grew up with GSP's in Minnesota. Duckdon

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am

I have had both and love them both. Just got a GSP that is nine months old. I have three labs that are my personal dogs and my GSP. I train retrievers and hunt waterfowl three days a week but living in Idaho a good pointing dog is a blast for upland. I hunt my labs on pheasants and quail but I really prefer a pointing dog for upland especially chukers and huns. If you have the room and time train it all boils down to what you like. I like both for different reasons and am lucky enough to have room and time to train both.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am

Its all opinion,
I love labs, here in iowa they are great duck dogs, and awesome upland dogs, they can be pointers or flushers (although i perfure flushers)
Labs are durable, reliable, and great pets too
but in general a gsp will run all day and a lab will get tired upland hunting, mostly because pointers are built to run longer and preserve their energy, labs will run hard at first and get tired, some labs will compete though
Isaac and Banks

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

RichK wrote:
Ghosted3 wrote:What do you plan to hunt mainly? Do you have a family, with kids? How much time can you dedicate to training? Where do you live, and where will the dog be, in or outside?

Corry
Most hunting will be upland, maybe ducks occasionally. Dog will be inside.

LAB from good breeder with good health records.