Bark collars

Cicada

Bark collars

Post by Cicada » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

I have just picked up a 2 year old male GSP Rescue dog. I have notice he does not bark I presume one of his 4 previous homes had a bark collar on him.

Does a dog unlearn this on his own or will I have to train him to bark? Not sure what the best method would be?

I don't need him barking at the moon but if there is a bear in the yard it is nice to have a bit of warning.

Thanks

Grant

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Bark collars

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm

I have a setter who has never made a sound. Highly unusual, but appreciated. :) I don't know how you could teach a dog to bark when "on duty", though. :)

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am

Praise when you hear him bark, could take a very long time, if at all to come out of it. Being a rescue dog you never really know if it was a bark collar or an ar$e whoopin for the poor thing if it barked at the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Corry

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Praise when you hear him bark, could take a very long time, if at all to come out of it. Being a rescue dog you never really know if it was a bark collar or an ar$e whoopin for the poor thing if it barked at the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Corry
Thanks for the reply I will watch for him to bark so far not a peep even when his 9 year old buddy is barking her head off. He is a bit shy when scolded but not to the level of cowering in fear.

Thanks

Grant

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 pm

Well he is barking now I guess he just had to get accustom to his new home. now to get him into the back of the SUV.

Grant