Tracking Collar Astro?

Waterdogs1

Tracking Collar Astro?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

I am sure this has been dicussed before but since this is all new to me I am going to ask. I am looking for a tracking collar. Hunted with a friend yesterday. We had his older dog and my pup. We used his older Astro and it was so nice to have on her. It made me feel much better knowing where she was at when out of sight. I was wondering which astro is the best. I know that is has been discussed in the forum before. I am also trying to find out who has the best price. I see Cabelas has them on sale.

rinker

Re: Tracking Collar Astro?

Post by rinker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am

I would recommend Garmin, you will see three different handhelds advertised and I think four collars.

The Alpha is the newest version and is a gps and ecollar in one. The Alpha handheld only works with the Alpha collars.

The Astro 220 handheld is the oldest version. This is what I have and it works great. This works with the dc20, dc30, and dc40 collars.

The Astro 320 handheld is the newer version. It works with the same collars as the 220, and has some additional features.

The dc20 collar is the oldest version. It was originally made to fit on a harness not on a collar. I would avoid this one.

The dc30 collar is the next upgrade from the dc20. It works great, the only real knock on it is that the actual collar is made from a 'nylon collar' and the actual strap will eventually wear out. The electronics can be mounted on a different collar strap.

The dc40 collar is the next upgrade up from the dc30. It comes mounted on a 'dayglo' strap that is more durable.

You can find some really good prices on the Astro 220, as many people are upgrading to the 320 or the Alpha.

I have the 220 handheld and two dc30 collars. If I had to give up my Garmin, I think I would give up hunting with dogs.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

I am sure I have been hunting her without a collar and it has been a litte spooky. Yesterday it was so nice to hunt her with one on. Just let her roll and not be freaked out she is going to get lost. She is not a big running dog. She is only 10 months and she will go a couple hundred yards. She still is learning a bunch as am I. I have my own E- collar.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am

I love my Astro and DC30 collars. It's allowing me to train differently now and with more confidence to let the dog go.

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am

I have the Astro 220 and 2 DC30 collars. Have not had any problems with either.

Wouldn't go out without them.