Pointer Line Traits

madmurph

Pointer Line Traits

Post by madmurph » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Help this long time owner of vizslas. The next addition to my pack will be a dog with a white body and long tail. I don't want a pissing match on which line of pointers is the best. I would like to know the most well known traits (good and bad) for the most popular lines of pointers. For example, Miller dogs are known for ________ (fill in the blank). Elhew dogs are known for ________. HTA dogs are known for _________, etc., etc., etc. Help with as many lines as possible would be appreciated.

As I am sure somebody will ask, the dog will see action in the grouse woods as well as some pheasant haunts and will likely see some NSTRA events and probably other walking venues. However, I would like to hear about all lines regardless if you think they will excel in these areas or not. Thanks.

Maurice

Re: Pointer Line Traits

Post by Maurice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:51 pm

I like the Miller pointers or Miller crossed with Fiddler or Branscum Nickel.. That is just what I like but you will find many good lines of pointers. It is fairly easy to find good pointer pups.

Mo

dead mike

Re: Pointer Line Traits

Post by dead mike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

i have a 6.5 month old HTA x CLJ pointer that is outstanding. They are a great cross for NSTRA competition and foot hunting. Retrieves everything, has great ground coverage, and the best part is that he handles like a dream. So thumbs up for that cross.

But ya, there are so many good crosses out there to consider. Fiddler, Miller, guardrail and go boy is GREAT stuff. good luck.