Who hunts with more than one breed?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Who hunts with more than one breed?

Post by Ayres » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:50 pm

How many of you have more than one breed of hunting dog? Why? Pros? Cons?

My wife and I (mostly me) are considering (probably gonna happen) getting another dog in a couple years. I'm wondering if we should stick with the vizsla line, or get a different breed.

The "rational" pros of keeping the vizsla line is that if we get a female, and she and Justus turn out to be superb dogs, we can breed them. The "irrational" pros include having two of the same breed, and that's quite picturesque.

The pros of getting a different breed would be that I could expand my experience with hunting and training different breeds.

If you do have different breeds of dogs, please explain why? And if you prefer to keep just one breed, why that as well?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

sdgord

breeds

Post by sdgord » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Hi Ayres,
I have two Gordons, one weimaraner. One of the Gordons is strictly field bred, the other a dual bred. The weim is dual bred. The weim is an excellent close working pheasant dog. She loves to bust cat tails and heavy brush for late season birds. Not nearly as effective on sharptails where a 100 yard cast is minimum. Pretty dog to hunt with.
The field bred Gordon is absolutely wonderful on sharptails and prarie chickens. Hard to contain in pheasant cover. Her first cast is generally 500 to 800 yards on open prarie. The dual bred is a great pheasant dog and more than adequate on sharptails and chickens. Her first cast on prarie is usually less than 150 yards. I know these distances may seem unreal but out on the grasslands where you don't have fence but every 2 or three miles it is typical to cover great distances.
I never intended to hunt the field bred, I just could not leave her after the first time I went to look at the litter. And after having her I knew I had to have another. The Gordons are absolutely beautiful to watch in the field. So my advice is get another Viszla or another breed either way you will be happy.SDGORD

ward myers

breeds

Post by ward myers » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:56 pm

i hunt with english & GSP'S
because the variety of terrain here in FLA . open pines flats & dense hard woods. & wind conditions
i usally throw out a english with a shorthair seem to find more birds that way .plus i dont have to fight with the english to retrieve

the shorthair usally bringing dead birds back before english even figures out what happened :D

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:37 am

Currently have a Weim and we're trying to get a Vizsla now. The Weim is beautiful dog; however, I just wanted a little variety. I thought the Vizsla would make a great bird dog and companion and they're so verry similar I thought they would get along well. We're actually watching a friends Vizsla for 2 weeks now to see how our Weim gets along. Been a week now and they're still playing with very little rest in between.

I'd be willing to get a GSP as well if I could find an all liver color. I am partial to the solid colors. I also figured I wanted to hunt with two dogs and the different breeds would provide different styles in the field. I am just assuming one might be better at point and the other at backing, but we'll see when the time comes.
Last edited by dhondtm on Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:00 am

dhondtm,

I think walnuthillgsps.us has some pups???? You should check!

icefire

Post by icefire » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:33 pm

i have mostly GSP's with one vizsla thrown in for variety.

Wireviz_lady

Post by Wireviz_lady » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:24 pm

Vizsla and more vizsla...because we have kids and love the personalities of the viz. We also have the wirehaired vizsla which handle the cold water here in WI a little better for duck/goose hunting.
Got a litter of smooth Viz due any day now. Will probably even take the babies out huntin before they go to their new homes.
I guess I have no interest in hunting with another breed.

tfbirddog2

Hunting with more than breed?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:31 pm

I have two GSP's, because of endurace, trainable, harty( climate and terrain)and they were both gave to me. I would probably have one anyways, because I have always liked the breed. I also have a birdmut she is black lab/weimer cross. She is the best of both worlds the desire to please from both breeds is outstanding, wonderful family dog, and you can tell from the picture she is a pointing fool. If I knew someone had them again I would snatch one up. The breed should also pertain to the terrain, the hunting it will be doing. My father-in-law has Brittany's a.k.a. stickermagnets and dogbox rockets, I honestly ont big fans of the breed but if that floats his boat so be it. There is a breeder of GSP's in my town that has pretty good solid liver lines if you wanted to know and his dogs go everywhere, his name is Larry Cox I would have to find out his AKC name if you needed.

ward myers

britianys

Post by ward myers » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:41 pm

britianys AKA as swap collies here in FLA

Helen

Post by Helen » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:14 am

We have 3 pointers, a gwp and 2 spaniels. My husband had two pointers when I met him and I was researching gwp's with a view to get one and I already had a spaniel.

We work the pointers and GWP on the grouse, same job but different styles of working. Harvey, GWP, suits me fine and Rob likes the pointers.

The two spaniels that we have are roughshooting, rabbiting, wildfowling and beating dogs. We could use the gwp for roughshooting etc but I prefer spaniels although we are going to try Harvey out this season to see how he does - he's already showing a lot of promise.

I love having different breeds but I also love having more than one of the same breed :D

Helen