Skid Plate Suggestions

will-kelly

Skid Plate Suggestions

Post by will-kelly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 am

I have an 18 month old hard charging Vizsla that needs a skid plate. Hunted her on Saturday and I tried the Cabelas neoprene vest but the fit wasn't perfect and her arm pits were rubbed raw. It has taken her 3 days to recover from Saturday's hunt. The dog will run through a brick wall for a cripple.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Skid Plate Suggestions

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

The dog should live without a vest...... It's normal for a dog to get scratches and cuts. Let the dog be a dog and you will usually do less damage than what you cause trying to protect it.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am

Are you using the neoprene for waterfowl retrieving or upland hunting? If upland I wouldnt use a neoprene. You can trim the neoprene with scissors and custom fit it to your dog. I've done it to every vest I've owned for my retrievers.

I was seriously thinking of getting a skid plate for my pointer but normally buy the time the next weekend rolls around he is healed up and good to go again. The tip of his tail catches heck though.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 pm

ultracarry wrote:The dog should live without a vest...... It's normal for a dog to get scratches and cuts. Let the dog be a dog and you will usually do less damage than what you cause trying to protect it.
I have two V's that run better without the vests and haven't used them for a couple years. When I experimented with Cabela neoprene vests, and even the cordura-nylon made chest protection vests, the dogs still got irritated in the armpits. If you are concerned about cuts or even contact allergies, wash the dog with cold water and tecnu scrub immediately after a hunt. After using the stuff it seems to help out.

Dogs can take on cold temps, just because they have less hair doesn't mean they need an extra layer. However if it is waterfowling you are talking about, I would use a neoprene vest when the temps are cold.

yogi

Post by yogi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:32 pm

After 20 stitches from a rusty barred wire fence I bought a skid plate from lion country. Doesnt bother my dog at all just get the right size. I'd rather be hunting than sitting at the vets.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Believe me I am a willing to let her be a dog but I too have been to the ER for a round of 14 stitches. Couple of skin infections even though I scrub her whenever we get home from the field.(Wife's rule)

She's hard charging and the cold is not a concern at all. I get cold long before she shows signs of it.

I have the ability to guide with her locally and I would like to not have to turn down the dates because she abuses herself. It's a great opportunity to get her out on a couple of hundred birds a month for free.(actually will get paid and be able to buy more dog stuff and a lighter gauge for my kids.

Yogi which one did you buy from LCS?

yogi

Post by yogi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

LCS Bird Dog Armor Vest. Its in its second year but this probably will be its last. Held up pretty good for $25.00. I hunt every weekend theres an open season.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm

If I guide with a young dog I would want it as visible as possible as well as protected. Nothing wrong with that Will. Besides, anyone who runs their dog in PINK boots shouldn't give advise on protection. (Hi Ultra Carry) :D

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:If I guide with a young dog I would want it as visible as possible as well as protected. Nothing wrong with that Will. Besides, anyone who runs their dog in PINK boots shouldn't give advise on protection. (Hi Ultra Carry) :D
:lol:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm

I figured you would get a kick out of that one, Brad.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 pm

My dog 'lives' without a vest...But she hunts with the Cabela's skid plate on. It saves an incredible amount of scrapes, cuts, and blood and has lasted nearly 3 years. Never any armpit irritation---as far as I can tell, it has no insulation properties. My 40 lb Brit fits nicely into the Medium---I would endorse it whole heartedly.

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Ecw21 wrote:My dog 'lives' without a vest...But she hunts with the Cabela's skid plate on. It saves an incredible amount of scrapes, cuts, and blood and has lasted nearly 3 years. Never any armpit irritation---as far as I can tell, it has no insulation properties. My 40 lb Brit fits nicely into the Medium---I would endorse it whole heartedly.
Ditto with the Cabelas ripstop vests that look similar to this: http://www.gundogsupply.com/sylmar-body ... -vest.html. I don't have much of a choice to have something orange on them from mid-November through the end of the year as most weeks or weekends there's gun deer seasons of one sort or another (and even beyond that I've had a few bow hunters make comments at dusk that for a moment when they saw one of my brown dogs running through the brush it looked like it was a deer).

Anyway yes there is some underarm rubbing especially when the vest is new but try and adjust it - my dogs actually do better with a looser fit. Vests are like boots or anything else. Don't just throw it on the dog, hunt it for 3 hours and wonder why there's some rubbing. I initially put some vasoline along the seams and on the dog. Also break it in by having the dog wear it when out for shorter runs or just around the house. It also requires more breakin when brand new until some of the rough edges of the stitching wear down so it takes longer to break in initially compared to the second and third season. My dogs had just went to new ones (after 3 or 4 years). We have a 'natural' break-in period as the main gun hunting season is around when they start wearing them full-time and also when our hunts are the most limited (only in small areas where I can guarantee nobody is deer hunting).

When it's cool enough out I actually prefer them on to off as my small dog has impaled her chest with sticks twice and tore a big chuck of her skin off (probably on a fence) when she wasn't wearing it.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm

I have two seasons into a Mendota skid plate. Part of a plastic keeper at an adjustment point broke this season, but it's not a big deal. Pretty sure I'll get another season or two out of it, so I think it's a good buy, and it's sturdy IMO. I use that skid plate or a Cabelas ripstop vest most times afield. Today we logged 6 hours, Tuesday 4 hours, Saturday 4 hours, and so on and so forth. No sores, no noticeable hair loss, and the most that happens is a tiny bit of pinkness in the front armpit region. I agree with the looser fit, and don't make it too snug.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am

We have used the Cabela's ripstop vests on our 3 Britts and find that they work well. Good price, highly visible, and don't rub. We wear them fairly loose on the dogs.