Spaying Questions

trasmuson3

Spaying Questions

Post by trasmuson3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 pm

So I have a question on what everyone recommends doing regarding spaying your females dogs? So our female puppy is about 8 months old now. She has not had her heat cycle yet, and I have heard not to spay her until after her first cycle. Why is that? This being my first time ever having a female dog, I’m not quite sure what to expect as far as periods or whatever you call it for dogs. Do you really have to put a diaper on them? And what should I do with her while my wife and I are gone to work all day? And last question, on average, how old are they when they usually come into their first heat cycle? Thank in advance everyone.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: Spaying Questions

Post by AHGSP » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

You might find this read, VERY informative as to Spay/Neuter:
http://therio.org/associations/2746/fil ... 202012.pdf

For additional information that may be of interest:
http://therio.org/displaycommon.cfm?an= ... clenbr=323
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 pm

I recommend spaying at about 2-3 years old, depending on whether the dog has reached maturity or not. Contrary to many posters on here, I have seen firsthand both the effects of pyometra and mammary cancer and I choose to spay a female to avoid those risks. I would wait to spay until the dog has some growth on her though and not do a pediatric spay.

My current GSP didn't come into heat until she was 14 months old. I spayed her just short of her 2nd birthday. Previous to doing much research on the issue (my first dozen dogs or so), I had previously spayed and neutered at about 6-8 months. Now I'm much more inclined to wait on the spay and to consider strongly whether the neuter is necessary for a male.

Females in heat will bleed - we have used small boy's underpants (they have a built-in tail hole). You do have to be very diligent that your dog isn't left alone while in heat - males can and will go over kennels and breed through fences (I've seen that one in person). They will come from distances to try and breed your dog - so just be careful with her during the danger period. I would crate her while you're gone, that will keep the messes to a minimum - I surely would not leave her unattended in an outdoor kennel or yard - males are pretty darn persistent when it comes to breeding time.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:22 pm

On the note of spaying to decrease the incidence of mammary tumors, the likelihood of a mammary cancer developing increases with every heat cycle your bitch goes through. But..... once she gone through a 2nd heat cycle there is no protective benefit of spaying. The incidence of mammary tumors in dogs spayed before their first heat cycle is less than 1%. It's 8% for those that have had one cycle before spaying and then jumps all the way to 26% for dogs that have cycled twice. If you're waiting until 2-3 years of age before spaying, you're not decreasing the likelihood of mammary gland tumors at all (unless you have a dog that for some reason hasn't cycled twice by that age). Now I'm by no means arguing for pediatric spays or for not spaying at all either. Just thought it might be important to clarify this one point. I really don't feel like there's one perfect time. It depends a lot on the owner and how they value the various benefits/risks associated with spaying at any given age. Do some research, read some papers, and talk to some vets. I applaud your diligence in trying to do what's best for your dog!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Out of many females we have had I have had one that developed mammary cancer. She was 12 at the time and was a female that had a false pregnancy every time she came in season. And I should say we never spayed any females except for one that ended up with an infection and I didn't want to take the chance of losing her. And having a kennel full of dogs for years we had little problem with males getting to females, even when kenneled side by side. Just be careful and do whatever you need to do to prevent accidents and you should be fine.

This said, I think it is your decision to make as there seems to be no right or wrong. There are good as well as bad consequences with whatever you do. If you do decide to spay, I would definitely wait till the dog has matured as far as growth is concerned.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I had to have my female spayed ( long story unexpected) one problem i have now is keeping weight off her i feed her less than my other 2 and she always looks out of shape.