Health issues in breeding stock

KwikIrish

Health issues in breeding stock

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Breeders are one of the core pieces of our sport. If it wasn't for the breeder, we might not have the dogs we share our lives with. With being a breeder comes the responsibility of producing dogs who not only exhibit the traits we desire but have the health to ensure longevity.

As a breeder, what health faults can you overlook in breeding stock?
Is it okay to breed dogs/litermates to dogs who exhibit one or more of the following traits:
PRA
Bloat
Entropic
Heart issues
Cancer
Mon/crypt orchid
Dysplastic hips or elbows
HOD
Lymphedema
Food allergies
Allergies in general
Hypo/hyper thyroid
Unexplained loss of fertility (obviously not meant to be considered in a bitch to be bred)

How phenomenal does a dog who exhibits (or littermate) one or more of these traits? Which traits will you utilize and which will you pass on? I realize not all of these may be specific to your breed. Feel free to add or exclude traits based on lack of trait in your breed or lack of background info on trait. I look forward to reading your replies.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

V-John

Re: Health issues in breeding stock

Post by V-John » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 pm

It's odd with all of the knowledgable breeders on this board, no one is answering these questions...

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Ok...I'll go...not that I'm knowledgeable breeder.

If any/all of the diseases listed are autosomal recessives and have a corresponding DNA marker test, then I'd breed any carrier to a clear dog. Test the resultant offspring, lather, rinse, repeat.

There...that should start it.
Dan

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Wyndancer wrote:Ok...I'll go...not that I'm knowledgeable breeder.

If any/all of the diseases listed are autosomal recessives and have a corresponding DNA marker test, then I'd breed any carrier to a clear dog. Test the resultant offspring, lather, rinse, repeat.

There...that should start it.
You forgot hang it out to dry, which is where it should go. Three registries, four if you count NAVHDA, with separate, if any, philosophies on the subject and you won't get a consensus. Clear to carrier, good to better and don't forget where the money lies. If health was paramount, OFA would be registering knees on all breeds, but with a billion plus in surgery fees going to ortho vets, that won't happen.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

pointer

Post by pointer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I have forty plus dogs and I'm also not sure if I would consider myself a major breeder, but none of my dogs would be breed with the issues you mentioned. I should also note that rarely if ever do I even consider breeding a dog before they are three years old. I also don't tolerate any temperment issues or sloppy kennel manners. If you can't be sweet and have the brains to stay out of your own sh** in the kennels, I have no room for you.

I have had a few develop cancer in later years that were breed as younger dogs but I see no major signs of it occurring in future offspring or at a young age. I have seen certain lines of dogs that seem to have more cases of cancer than other lines and I no longer will own those lines. I have had two young dogs under three develop minor tyroid issues but both were given away as exceptionally good bird dogs with a treatable thyroid problem. There are two many exceptional dogs with no issues that can be breed. Even if the dog is exceptional, why breed a dog with a known genetic issue.

It is easy for me to not breed dogs with issues simply because I have a lot of options with other exceptional dogs with no problems. That may not be the case for the guy with only one dog or just a few who compromise because they have a "great" one in their eyes. Most of those great ones are simply good meat dogs and being judged by guys with limited knowledge and a somewhat biased opinion of their own dog. Due to their lack of experience with a lot of dogs they have no ability to judge the true ability of the dog and are willing to compromise on temperment or health to simply produce another "great" one.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:23 pm

I don't compromise on Genetic issues. We test for what we know there are tests for and don't use any with visable problems. Too many good dogs without issues. Some times stuff happens. Dogs are pretty much dogs,few if any are exceptional in many areas. Cj

remmy

Post by remmy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Since when is bloat been considered a generic trait? Doctors have no clue what causes bloat no evidence proving it is genetic.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Would the answers be different if the gene pool was smaller as it is with some less popular breeds?

Most of those are pretty debilitating problems. Some are not... Clearly It depends on the dog and what it brings to the table.
Tom

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 pm

I wouldn't use any dog in a breeding program that I knew had any of those problems. Health has to be right up there with temperaments.

Bloat... I wouldn't use a dog that bloated young, but many dogs don't have this crop up till later in life. After the age of 10, there could be so many causes that it could be impossible to blame it on genetics. And by then, if they were going to be bred, it's a done deal. If a sire or dam bloated, even at that late age, I would be careful with offspring going to any line that had bloat as a reason for death. Might just be coincedence...

Another issue I watch for is ACL problems. Could be a simple injury, but if siblings or parents had problems I would probably steer clear.

But, one thing I've learned in my 30 plus years of dogs is to never say never. Things change, information changes, medical treatments change.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/