Stud Dog

Petra

Stud Dog

Post by Petra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 am

I would like some information from breeders with experience before I neuter my male. I have been trying to do all the right things to make a decision weather to keep my male intact to be used as a stud dog. i.e.. health checks, field trials, beauty contest(international), mentally stable dog, now I am told that I should rethink using him because his personality will change, he is four, and I am assuming that it would be a negative change or the comment would not have been made. What has been the experience of owners with stud dogs , is this the case and should I really consider not having him used for breeding? Thoughts and Experiences.

jimbo&rooster

Re: Stud Dog

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 am

I wouldnt worry about someone elses comments. you know your dog. How has he performed in competition? Sometimes its hard to be subjective of our own dogs.

I leave all of my male dogs intact. so maybe my opinion is slightly skewed but I would leave him and keep working towards what you want, and should the day come that you see something you dont like then you can cut him. It would be a shame to cut him because of something someone said might happen and then find out later it was a mistake.......

That said I am no breeder...

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:04 am

If you like him it's only been my experience that they improve with age, so I would leave him intact; after all nuetering can be done at 10yr old too.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 am

I think the question is, will using him for breeding make him more aggressive. We don't find that to be a problem. We keep several males all of which have been used for breeding. They hang out together in the run, sometimes with a in heat female on the other side of the fence, hunt and compete with many strange dogs with no signs of aggression. We see no change in personality from breeding. We do keep a pretty tight pack sructure.
Bitches are another story though. Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 am

I agree with Jerry. Our dogs live in the house together, sleep next to each other, ride in the truck together, . when there is a female in heat crated in the house the boys are not agressive with each other. We are thinking of adding pup. We don't know if we will get a male or female. a male pup would not be a problem, but a female pup might put Cage's nose out of joint.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am

It's your dog, do what you want with him. If you personally think he's worth it then go for it! Don't let people tell you his personality will change. Has yours changed since you were a kid?? Was it for the worst? If you feel he's got something great to pass on go with it!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 am

After seeing several neutered males die of Cushings and hemangiosarcoma, I'd do some research before castrating him. Breeding him is the least concern.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm

For starters you know your dog,if he ain't pissy leave him be,if he is pissy neuteriing will not help the pissiness.It kills me that people think they are going to modify a dogs personality for the better with neutering,it does not work.If you have a fighter with nuts it will be a fighter without nuts,if it's agressive with nuts it's still going to be agressive without them.Don't plan on folks lineing up to breed to your dog either,if you want pups from him more than likely your going to have to execute a litter yourself.It's been quite a few years since it was about bettering the dogs and it's become the "Loooook at me!" in the owners circle.clicky groups that make up stories about dogs that win consistantly,how the dog is a "Made" dog,or has some made up flaw such as "The laying down gene" or the "Flagging gene".I'd just leave the nuts on the dog myself.The only time I knock the nards off of em is when I give them away for free after I've evaluated them for potential.I've got lots of criteria,mental ability, biddibility,maturity rate,physical conformation free of visible expressed defect,birdiness, heart and personality inherited point and natural retrieving instinct.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I agree with most here... It is your dog, do what YOU WANT! I also agree with Weeds... you might not have a waiting list to breed to him... But then again I don't think that is a factor in choosing if the dog keeps the nuts or not...

Petra

Post by Petra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for the responses, they have confirmed what I thought, he would only be used if it were to the right female and had deposits on pups, a friend of mine is still trying to get homes for 3 males that are now 10 mo old. So, he may never get to do his stuff. The comment was from an experienced breeder so I had to get some information. I asked my Vet also today what he has seen change in males after breeding and he laughed, You can guess how he felt about it . My decision is Riley gets to keep hanging and have all the girls at the dog park love him.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm

As far as a stud dog they are a dime a dozen, now good studs thats a different story. one he has to be special and wanted along with promotted. As for cutting him i dont underestand why he cant get nocked up. In my opion its a waste money. Just my 2cents. Good luck with ur choice.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Wildweeds wrote:For starters you know your dog,if he ain't pissy leave him be,if he is pissy neuteriing will not help the pissiness.It kills me that people think they are going to modify a dogs personality for the better with neutering,it does not work.If you have a fighter with nuts it will be a fighter without nuts,if it's agressive with nuts it's still going to be agressive without them.Don't plan on folks lineing up to breed to your dog either,if you want pups from him more than likely your going to have to execute a litter yourself.It's been quite a few years since it was about bettering the dogs and it's become the "Loooook at me!" in the owners circle.clicky groups that make up stories about dogs that win consistantly,how the dog is a "Made" dog,or has some made up flaw such as "The laying down gene" or the "Flagging gene".I'd just leave the nuts on the dog myself.The only time I knock the nards off of em is when I give them away for free after I've evaluated them for potential.I've got lots of criteria,mental ability, biddibility,maturity rate,physical conformation free of visible expressed defect,birdiness, heart and personality inherited point and natural retrieving instinct.
+1