Need some advice ASAP

isuhunter

Need some advice ASAP

Post by isuhunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Getting stuff ready to head to Kansas bright and early tomorrow morning. We sat down to eat supper and then cleaned up. We tossed the chicken bones in the trash and next thing I know my pup (1 yr old GSP) had snuck into the garbage and grabbed one and stomached it before I could get to her. It was a drumstick.

What should I do? Call vet in morning? Leave her home?

fishpond

Re: Need some advice ASAP

Post by fishpond » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:39 pm

I believe the problem with chicken bones is choking, if it made it to her her stomach I think your OK

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 pm

My dogs eat things they aren't supposed to from time to time. I think the chicken bones can splinter and cut intestines or something, but I have never had a problem. I would just continue the trip as planned, watch her stool and if she acts sick.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Just keep an eye on her stool and if the dog dog is acting "different". Sometimes the bones will scrape the intestine or anal cavity on departure you may see some bright red blood in the stool, but it usually fixes itself in a couple of days. The easiest way to tell if a dog has internal bleeding is to press your finger on the gum above the canine (dog tooth) it will turn white for just a second or two then turn back to the original color if there is no bleeding. Personally I wouldn't be to worried, I've seen my dogs eat some really crazy stuff, but I always keep an eye on them.

Take her hunting and have a good time. You know her better than anybody. As I said I wouldn't be too concerned.