Stra Alternatives

M1Tanker

Stra Alternatives

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 am

Heading out to Maine for a hunt in another week and will be travelling across Canada to get there.

It appears that the guns and dogs are the easy part of the border crossings, however straw appears to be the nemisis of the U.S. CBP.

It is going to be cold enough for the dogs to need something in the dog trailer but if straw is not an option, is there something else folks have used to keep dogs warm?

I have seen cedar ribbons but not sure if they would keep the dogs warm enough. I have also heard that those cedar ribbons affect the dogs smell.

Any alternatives out there?

bigeyedfish

Re: Stra Alternatives

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 am

I don't know about traveling through Canada, but I've heard a lot of good things about cedar ribbons. They supposedly kill bacteria and keep the crate cleaner.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:55 am

I have always been told that cedar is hard on their noses but I doubt one trip would be a problem. I'm not even sure if it's true but I've heard it enough from some good sources that I'm not taking chances. I've always preferred a pad and blanket.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Pad & Blanket you may prefer but it only takes one time for the dog to decide he prefers to eat it then your in for a BIG vet bill to hopefully save your dogs life.Yes I know you have done it for years with no problem but like I said it only takes once & believe me it can happen!!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Why would my dog eat something that it's compfortable with? Teach it that being in it's kennel is a good thing and it won't try to destroy it.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Brazos I'm not sure dogs have human logic & infact some humans don't have that much logic.I'm just trying to save some beginners that want to listen that kind of misery.
Hope your luck & or TRAINING continues for sake of your dogs.

Read the favorite chew toys thread in Off Topic Forum !!!Then think again!! :roll: