Worming Pigeons

rinker

Worming Pigeons

Post by rinker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 am

Do you have a routine for worming pigeons? What do you use? how often?

ckirsch

Re: Worming Pigeons

Post by ckirsch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

My brothers and I raised homers as kids, and we used to put a capful of Clorox in a couple of gallons of drinking water once a month, to take care of worms and mites. Some old-timer got us started with that and it seemed to work well. The birds don't like the taste, but if they had no access to other water they'd eventually drink.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

ckirsch wrote:My brothers and I raised homers as kids, and we used to put a capful of Clorox in a couple of gallons of drinking water once a month, to take care of worms and mites. Some old-timer got us started with that and it seemed to work well. The birds don't like the taste, but if they had no access to other water they'd eventually drink.
Not sure that kills the worms and know it is not good for the birds. There are people who put a cap full of bleach in there 1/1/2 gal waters when they fill them to keep out the alge and the birs tolerate it but it is questionable as to how good it is for the birds. By the way they still worm their birds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Is 'Wazine 17' something I can get at the local feed/farm store, or do I need to go to a pigeon supply web site?

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ckirsch wrote:My brothers and I raised homers as kids, and we used to put a capful of Clorox in a couple of gallons of drinking water once a month, to take care of worms and mites. Some old-timer got us started with that and it seemed to work well. The birds don't like the taste, but if they had no access to other water they'd eventually drink.
Not sure that kills the worms and know it is not good for the birds. There are people who put a cap full of bleach in there 1/1/2 gal waters when they fill them to keep out the alge and the birs tolerate it but it is questionable as to how good it is for the birds. By the way they still worm their birds.

Ezzy
We used the bleach for about fifteen years. Other than a few three-eyed squabs, we never noticed any side effects. :D

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 am

rinker wrote:Is 'Wazine 17' something I can get at the local feed/farm store, or do I need to go to a pigeon supply web site?
You can get it in feed stores. 17 indicates the strength. It is also available as Wazine 34. It is a poultry wormer.