Mutt Bird Dogs

rkappes

Mutt Bird Dogs

Post by rkappes » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 am

Just curious how many other people have mutts that they hunt with? We have a little mutt named Jersey. Originally came from a humane society, we adopted her from the family that originally adopted her as they couldn't handle her anymore. She's been a fun little dog, pretty good little hunter, wouldn't trade her for the world. I don't by any means advocate breeding pure breds to produce mutts. Like I said above just curious how many people hunt with mutts and if you do, let's see a pic.

armand

Re: Mutt Bird Dogs

Post by armand » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:55 am

many years ago i had a small mixdbreed that i took in the woods squirrelhunting just for the company when all of asudden she stood on her hind legs and started spinning around in a circle so i walked over to her and flushed a partridge. she did this many times over the years i had her a very pleasent surprize on my part. sorry but i dont have any pics.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 am

I have owned quite a few mixed breeds and they work fine as both waterfowl and upland dogs. Most were some pointing breed X retriever cross. Most pointed, the others were trained to work close and flushed.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 am

I've never done it but have no doubt one could work. I know of several people on the internet that do have off breed bird dogs and/or mixed breed. if i had a mutt and wanted to take it hunting, I would. I love most all dogs and even thought I might have a mutt, I'd love it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 am

Awesome looking dog and great story rkappes!

If it happened that way, I'd have no problem with a mixed breed. It's what the dog can do in and out of the field that matters.

After all, most Americans are of "mixed ancestry" and it seems to work OK. :D

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 am

AzDoggin wrote: After all, most Americans are of "mixed ancestry" and it seems to work OK. :D
I'd tend to agree with you. The movie "Deliverance" provided an excellent example of the dangers of tight line breeding in humans.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am

This one was a pretty good flusher for a weekend warrior, despite 2 rookie owners that didn't have a clue how to train her properly. :oops: She got us into pheasant, but we never trained her to retrieve. She would dig deep into brush piles for rabbits, and I still remember watching her dig into a pile at a distance. When I got up close, I discovered she was in a fall over a ravine, and about 15' in the air. No doubt what breed she resembles, but she had folded ears, and something else in the mix. Sammy came from the shelter at about 4 months old, back in 1997. We were a young couple, had almost no money, and wanted to adopt a dog...and $75 with spay included, got us one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedN

Post by RedN » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 pm

My puppy Tully seems to be coming up nicely as a retriever, she is a 5 month old Golden Retriever/GSP and is a sweetheart. At the time of this picture she was only 2.5 months old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 am

AzDoggin wrote:Awesome looking dog and great story rkappes!

If it happened that way, I'd have no problem with a mixed breed. It's what the dog can do in and out of the field that matters.

After all, most Americans are of "mixed ancestry" and it seems to work OK. :D
Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it! Nice looking dog in your avatar!!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:27 am

ckirsch wrote:
AzDoggin wrote: After all, most Americans are of "mixed ancestry" and it seems to work OK. :D
I'd tend to agree with you. The movie "Deliverance" provided an excellent example of the dangers of tight line breeding in humans.
Hahahahaha.....too funny!!!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 am

wems2371 wrote:This one was a pretty good flusher for a weekend warrior, despite 2 rookie owners that didn't have a clue how to train her properly. :oops: She got us into pheasant, but we never trained her to retrieve. She would dig deep into brush piles for rabbits, and I still remember watching her dig into a pile at a distance. When I got up close, I discovered she was in a fall over a ravine, and about 15' in the air. No doubt what breed she resembles, but she had folded ears, and something else in the mix. Sammy came from the shelter at about 4 months old, back in 1997. We were a young couple, had almost no money, and wanted to adopt a dog...and $75 with spay included, got us one.
Good lookin' dog, awesome story....I just love shelter success stories!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:31 am

RedN wrote:My puppy Tully seems to be coming up nicely as a retriever, she is a 5 month old Golden Retriever/GSP and is a sweetheart. At the time of this picture she was only 2.5 months old.
Good lookin' pup, she looks like a purebred GSP in this photo. Glad she is working out for you!!!

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 am

My 1st dog was a mix breed from the pound. She was a great pheasant dog and she got me hooked on hunting with a dog!
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371