What's the skinny on futurities?

Stoneface

What's the skinny on futurities?

Post by Stoneface » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I've never understood how futurities work or what is so special about them. Can someone explain it to me? I'm new to trialing and green in more ways than I'd like to mention, but I have the gist of it. I understand the different formats and how they're ran and the different classes, but I guess one thing I just flat don't get is futurities. Can someone clue me in?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: What's the skinny on futurities?

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am

Stoneface wrote:I've never understood how futurities work or what is so special about them. Can someone explain it to me? I'm new to trialing and green in more ways than I'd like to mention, but I have the gist of it. I understand the different formats and how they're ran and the different classes, but I guess one thing I just flat don't get is futurities. Can someone clue me in?
Stoneface -

A futurity is an act of faith on the part of the breeder. It is, in essence, a select open derby stake with a payout for the breeder as well as the handler. The breeder by registering the litter is saying: "This litter is bred to win." And they are putting their money where their mouth is. Very often, the breeder will retain a pup or two from that litter to be run in the futurity.

The breeder does a breeding and (typically) with 30 days of whelping the litter must register the litter with the futurity and pay a registration fee. Over the next two years, the owners of the dogs from that litter must pay a series of installment payments, called forfeits, to the futurity to maintain the eligibility of that individual dog and finally an entry fee. Each futurity has their own rules regarding registration and forfeits and such, but that is the general idea.

Futurities offer placements from first to fourth, which is not typical for American Field stakes which usually only offer three placements and are run under the rules and standards which apply to derby aged dogs.

RayG

SFK

Post by SFK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am

I think of it as the "future" of the breed hence the name futurity. As Ray has said, they are breeder stakes where breeders can showcase what they feel are the best litters they have produced.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

If you want to nominate your own dog which the breeder did not nominate the litter you have an increase in price and there is a age cut off (at least for the GSP world). If you want to know about one in specific send off an email.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the help, guys.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle