Should I be worried...Springer question.

Ghosted3

Should I be worried...Springer question.

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 am

I have mentioned before that I am pretty sure that I have the runt of the litter for my Springer. He turned 14weeks old today, and he is 10 inches tall at the shoulders, and almost 7 pounds... I found a springer growth chart and it says for this age he should be closer to 18 pounds. Are the numbers that I found online accurate, or am I getting worried over nothing?
My family and myself love the pup to death, but I am starting to worry if he is gonna be big enough to retrieve a duck from water lol.

Corry

rkappes

Re: Should I be worried...Springer question.

Post by rkappes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 am

I'm no expert on size. If it was my pup and something seemed off I'd call the breeder and see what they had to say.
Does the pup look and act healthy? If you think its some sort of health issue I'd consult with a vet.

Springers and cockers used to come from the same litters....maybe he's just on the smaller side.

My dads EB will be two this winter and she hovers around 28-30 lbs. She's always been pretty small but as healthy as can be.

Any who, not sure that the ramblin' above was any help.

Any pics of the pup?

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:22 am

No recent pics, and he is healthy. I talked to the breeder before because at 8 weeks he was 3.4lbs I am just getting kind of worried that at this rate he wont be able to get anything bigger than a dove or quail. Hopefully he will hit a growth spurt late or something.

Corry

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 am

Hey, a small dog also has its advantages too... dont get too down if your dog stays on the smallish side. Our best lab while growing up was a runt, but she could dig out holed up mallards and churn through the briars better than any of our other "bruiser" dogs. She was also a little more laid back, which helped her excel in the dog blind.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am

I understand that smaller dogs have their advantages, but a small lab is about the same size as a large springer lol. In all honesty, as long as he can get a phez im good..... I just know that when he was suppose to come home the average springer should range (at 8 weeks) around 7-8lbs and he just now hit the 7lbs mark at 14 weeks. Healthy, up to date on all shots, on a good feed, and gets exercise both mental and physical. Thanks again for the feedback.

Corry

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:55 am

Is he fine boned? If so, he will likely not be a large, sturdy dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am

JMO but I think retrieving has more to do with desire than size. As long as the dog has the desire and heart to retrieve it will find a way to retrieve the largest birds. Plus when retrieving in water the bird won't be as heavy. I'd be willing to bet that he'll be just fine.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:44 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Springer_Spaniel

"At this point in time, both cocker spaniels and springer spaniels were born in the same litters" (1576)

Maybe a bit of a throw back... Personally, if I had wanted a flushing dog a mini-springer would be ideal.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Big things can come in small packages......................... I've got a english setter in the kennel who is a midget at 35 pounds soaking wet................ he was the #1 AKC gundog in the 50 states and has tenacity to get it done.National CH Johnny Crockett was a small dog who got it done as well,no other setter since 1970 has won the National CH.............................. You got a fighter on your hands.BTW I had springers for quite a few years,some were big and some were midgets................... if the drive is there................. it makes no difference the size.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I think this is the key here:
Ghosted3 wrote: Healthy, up to date on all shots, on a good feed, and gets exercise both mental and physical.
It sounds like you're doing all you can and if he is healthy, he should/will do all he can too. If your vet is worried, then I would be worried. Otherwise, just continue to love him and work with him and all should be fine.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

I've bred Springers for about 25 years or so and have kept growth charts on most of my pups that I've kept and I weigh the pups in the litters I have as I need to know their weight to determine how much worm medication to give them. An 8 week old pup usually averages between 8 and 10 pounds. We're talking Springers from field lines, not show lines (Springers from Show lines are usually quite a bit heavier). My pups at 14 weeks have weighed between 18 and 20 pounds, so your pup is very small for her age. What she will weigh when full grown is hard to say, but my guess would be between 20 and 25 pounds... All of my females have weighed 35 to 48 pounds when mature. So where does that leave you? Well, English Cockers run about the size of your dog and they are more than adequate on grouse, pheasants, etc... Ducks might be a challenge, but she could probably handle one. My biggest concern with a pup as small as yours would be her heart... Generally speaking, a true runt is small because of a heart problem. I'm guessing your vet has checked that out. ????

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 am

Montana wrote:I've bred Springers for about 25 years or so and have kept growth charts on most of my pups that I've kept and I weigh the pups in the litters I have as I need to know their weight to determine how much worm medication to give them. An 8 week old pup usually averages between 8 and 10 pounds. We're talking Springers from field lines, not show lines (Springers from Show lines are usually quite a bit heavier). My pups at 14 weeks have weighed between 18 and 20 pounds, so your pup is very small for her age. What she will weigh when full grown is hard to say, but my guess would be between 20 and 25 pounds... All of my females have weighed 35 to 48 pounds when mature. So where does that leave you? Well, English Cockers run about the size of your dog and they are more than adequate on grouse, pheasants, etc... Ducks might be a challenge, but she could probably handle one. My biggest concern with a pup as small as yours would be her heart... Generally speaking, a true runt is small because of a heart problem. I'm guessing your vet has checked that out. ????
If he hits 35lbs I will be happy, if not we will still have a great family dog that will be well trained that will do lots of stuff with the family and hit the trails for some dove quail and maybe some phez hunts. And thank you for your feedback its much appreciated.

Corry